Balanced leech dropper question

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Apologies if this has already been discussed.

So I tied a bunch of balanced leeches. I'm talking about the ones with a jig hook and a pin extension with a bead. Have yet to fish them, mostly because I like to fish two flies, and I can't quite wrap my head around how this works. I guess for trolling, no big deal, just tie to the bend of the hook.

But, let's say I want to fish this under an indicator with a chironimid as a "dropper". I can't quite think of a way this makes sense. Tying off the bend of the balanced leech seems like it would unbalance the leech (chironimid has a tungsten bead, and it would pull the rear of the fly down, yeah?). If I tie to the eye of the leech, then it's hanging "through" the body material of the fly? Seems like that might result in some tangles. Then I thought maybe hanging it off the tag end of a double surgeons. This seems like maybe the best option, but at the same time with zero to minimal current I could see the two tippet pieces being too close to each other, resulting in twisting/tangles (since there is no current).

What do y'all do here with the balanced leeches when wanting a chironimid dropper? Any and all info appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Additionally, I appreciate all the responses to my previous thread regarding hiking to/from the water with a tube. Dive booties on order!

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a ton tied on jig hooks as well, so that is what I have been using in this situation, and tying the dropper tippet to the eye like @troutpocket. I was hoping I could use the balanced leeches I have tied in this situation as well. Sounds like if you keep the tag short for the chironomid there are no tangling issues, which was my main concern, so thanks for that info!

I was under the impression the chironimid was supposed to be closer to the bottom than the leech. Is that not the case? Maybe I'm just splitting hairs there, and if they are both relatively close to the bottom it doesn't matter?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I have a ton tied on jig hooks as well, so that is what I have been using in this situation, and tying the dropper tippet to the eye like @troutpocket. I was hoping I could use the balanced leeches I have tied in this situation as well. Sounds like if you keep the tag short for the chironomid there are no tangling issues, which was my main concern, so thanks for that info!

I was under the impression the chironimid was supposed to be closer to the bottom than the leech. Is that not the case? Maybe I'm just splitting hairs there, and if they are both relatively close to the bottom it doesn't matter?
That's one theory of how to do it ;) I don't know if there's a right way or wrong way or a supposed to be done way.
It seems like most of the time fish take the bottom fly regardless. If they start ignoring the leech and only hitting the chironomid, you can just replace the leech with another 'mid. Or if you're like me and lazy you might not change anything as long as the bobber keeps going under.

Edit/add: fish aren't always right on the bottom, either.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
James,

If you are using a true balanced leech, the best thing to do and as you’ve already recognized, the most logical thing to do is to fish it as the bottom fly.

@troutpocket did a great job showing how you can take just about any normal pattern and essentially “balance” it by tying your dropper tippet off the eye of your top fly. By doing this, the bottom fly will pull the eye of the top hook down. This method also increase the number of hook ups on the top fly versus tying off the bend of the hook, because it frees the hook up.

As for where chironomids are, they are mostly about a foot off the bottom, because that is where they stage after hatching from their bloodworm larval stage. Their depth will fluctuate as the bugs start to hatch and they start to slowly migrate to the surface. Even this can be interrupted though if something in the outside conditions change. They can reverse the process and drop back down to stage again if needed. As such, I’ve caught fish from the bottom all the way up to just an inch below the indicator on mid patterns.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In theory I agree, but like others have said I fish the leech on the bottom with a non-slip loop knot so it can move freely and the chironomid above. If I'm getting hits but not hooking up on the leech I'll switch it out for another chironomid.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Another option is to cut a cheap hook and create a second eye to tie the dropper to on bottom of the balanced leech. I did it years ago and caught fish with that set-up.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
get the two rod endorsement and fish each bug on different rods
It sounds good in theory. I did it again this year. I can't figure out how to set the hook on the bobber rod while fighting a fish on the stripped line. Just struggling to figure some different stuff out overall so far this year.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It sounds good in theory. I did it again this year. I can't figure out how to set the hook on the bobber rod while fighting a fish on the stripped line. Just struggling to figure some different stuff out overall so far this year.
Step 1: Drop Rod with the hooked fish to set the hook on the indicator fish.

Step 2: Realize that you were not quick enough on the indicator.

Step 3: Grab the hooked fish and realize it has slipped away.

Step 4: Question your life choices.

Works every time for me.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another option is to cut a cheap hook and create a second eye to tie the dropper to on bottom of the balanced leech. I did it years ago and caught fish with that set-up.
SF
I did this with my original balanced patterns, pre the straight pin idea. I tied another hook eye into my hook so I could tie in my tippet to the middle eye or the front eye. This worked until I hooked a fish while fishing a pattern balanced, and pulled up only the eye of a hook. After that I just put the clipped off eye out the front. As soon as I saw doing the same with a straight pin I switched over.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Step 1: Drop Rod with the hooked fish to set the hook on the indicator fish.

Step 2: Realize that you were not quick enough on the indicator.

Step 3: Grab the hooked fish and realize it has slipped away.

Step 4: Question your life choices.

Works every time for me.
Today: Step 5 - lunge after the first rod as it careens out of the raft almost taking a swim.
Step 6 - be lucky enough to fish first fishing rod back with second rod on first rods floating fishing line. (I can provide diagrams and charts.) 🥵

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I did this with my original balanced patterns, pre the straight pin idea. I tied another hook eye into my hook so I could tie in my tippet to the middle eye or the front eye. This worked until I hooked a fish while fishing a pattern balanced, and pulled up only the eye of a hook. After that I just put the clipped off eye out the front. As soon as I saw doing the same with a straight pin I switched over.

Never had that problem myself but then again I’ve been know to use copious amounts of super glue.
SF