Bad outing for FlyFish Dan

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The real question is who is fly fish dan?

Seriously, who is he? Never heard of him before this thread but he seems to be a big deal.. am I really that out of touch?

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
More important to me at least is the revelation that Sage QC has apparently slipped quite a bit. Even though I’ve moved to other mfrs gradually over the years, I’ve always held Sage in high regard. Partly because I grew up near their factory and known some past employees. But more so that a top tier, industry leading company was local. I’ve toured the shop and it seemed like quality was the main focus.
Wonder what happened? I’d guess $ pressure from Far Bank is part of it.
Yes, it’s sad Dan got shot at too. But he got 15 minutes of fame.

Seriously, who is he? Never heard of him before this thread but he seems to be a big deal.. am I really that out of touch?
he gets recommended to me all the time on youtube. my take, he is a typical youtube superstar.

gives casting advice videos, but cant seem to cast very well.
if you call him out on something bullshit, he always is quick to reply with excuses or justifications
thinks he is gods gift to angler, a talent to be admired.

i mostly watch the videos to laugh. not much fishing youtube is palletable to me anymore, but since he is a local to the region i sometimes pay attention to what he is doing and when he pretends rocky ford is a secery i always hotspot in the comments.

and he refuses to put fish on the reel, which is a real trigger for me. why do so many anglers insist on stripping in every single fish they hook....

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
he gets recommended to me all the time on youtube. my take, he is a typical youtube superstar.

gives casting advice videos, but cant seem to cast very well.
if you call him out on something bullshit, he always is quick to reply with excuses or justifications
thinks he is gods gift to angler, a talent to be admired.

i mostly watch the videos to laugh. not much fishing youtube is palletable to me anymore, but since he is a local to the region i sometimes pay attention to what he is doing and when he pretends rocky ford is a secery i always hotspot in the comments.

and he refuses to put fish on the reel, which is a real trigger for me. why do so many anglers insist on stripping in every single fish they hook....

I just looked at his Facebook page.. seems like the Billy Maze of oxyclean fame..

I dunno about Sage. He seems pretty tied into that ffp rod company.. also never heard of them...

I just looked at his Facebook page.. seems like the Billy Maze of oxyclean fame..

I dunno about Sage. He seems pretty tied into that ffp rod company.. also never heard of them...
one of his recent videos at crab creek he was talking about how he loves his classic sage rod and its so amazing the the dude put an orvis reel on it...... cringe. at least give that thing a lamson, ross, or sage reel. thats like wearing nike shoes and shirt with addidas striped pants

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
one of his recent videos at crab creek he was talking about how he loves his classic sage rod and its so amazing the the dude put an orvis reel on it...... cringe. at least give that thing a lamson, ross, or sage reel. thats like wearing nike shoes and shirt with addidas striped pants

Good to see ya ‘round these parts.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to FFD. Not interested in his videos, but I don't blame anyone for trying to get their piece of the pie, even if I think it's cheesy as hell. He's an expert at being an expert, and that's a pretty common thing in today's society. Whatever, to each their own.

I will say I don't understand the desire to "put a fish on the reel". Just the term itself doesn't make a lot of sense to me. "Putting a fish on the reel" kinda implies that I'm to make an extra effort to reel in a bunch of slack line so I can then reel it in. I say any fish that needs to be on the reel will get there itself, and for everything else Id rather strip it in and land it quickly rather than waste time reeling in a bunch of line while trying to stay tight to it. The amount of fish I see lost because someone is mucking about trying to get it on the reel is absurd.

And for the life of me I can't imagine why someone would think an Orvis reel is inferior to a Sage, Lamson or Ross. My Orvis reels have endured constant abuse and they just keep on ticking. It's pretty tough to buy a bad fly reel these days, as just about everyone makes a quality product. Everyone has had reels that had issues, but I wouldn't hesitate to take any of those reels offshore tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to FFD. Not interested in his videos, but I don't blame anyone for trying to get their piece of the pie, even if I think it's cheesy as hell. He's an expert at being an expert, and that's a pretty common thing in today's society. Whatever, to each their own.

I will say I don't understand the desire to "put a fish on the reel". Just the term itself doesn't make a lot of sense to me. "Putting a fish on the reel" kinda implies that I'm to make an extra effort to reel in a bunch of slack line so I can then reel it in. I say any fish that needs to be on the reel will get there itself, and for everything else Id rather strip it in and land it quickly rather than waste time reeling in a bunch of line while trying to stay tight to it. The amount of fish I see lost because someone is mucking about trying to get it on the reel is absurd.

And for the life of me I can't imagine why someone would think an Orvis reel is inferior to a Sage, Lamson or Ross. My Orvis reels have endured constant abuse and they just keep on ticking. It's pretty tough to buy a bad fly reel these days, as just about everyone makes a quality product. Everyone has had reels that had issues, but I wouldn't hesitate to take any of those reels offshore tomorrow.
it has nothing to do with the quality of the reel., and one is not "better" then the other. orvis and sage are the pepsi and coke of the fly fishing world to me. i dont drink pepsi from a coke glass. does it still work fine,. yes... but style surely plays a role when it comes to fishing old tackle.

we can dive into putting fish (esp bigger fish like steelhead) on the reel as soon as it makes sense another time ill make a thread to discuss it because i know there is strong beliefs on each side. i love reels that have free spool on the uptake side you you can flick your wrist and pick up a large amount of line at once. but yea, palming the reel or using the reels drag is way better technique then pinching the line down and horsing it in, esp when its a fish you really want to bring to hand.

Stripping in fish is more efficient and tactical. You can also easily cast again after.
interesting, the down time between landing a fish and casting for the next one is pretty low priority for me. id rather smoke a joint and watch the river for the next 10 minutes anyways. i dont know nothin about strippin and rippin bass lips back to back

check this out (fly fish dan recent video) and tell me you feel its good technique. i agree, most good fish put themself on the reel. some anglers seem to refuse to let that happen and just fight big fish like they are 8 inch stockers. he states "dont want to get him on the reel, for fear of getting to much slack", whatever that means. fish fight starts at 11 minutes. granted he lands the fish so whatever works i guess .

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter

Just another YouTube pimp. I think the world would be a better place with more of the OMJ "figure it out your own damn self" and less "HERE'S AN AWESOME PLACE Y'ALL GOTTA GO!!!!!"

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
check this out (fly fish dan recent video) and tell me you feel its good technique. i agree, most good fish put themself on the reel. some anglers seem to refuse to let that happen and just fight big fish like they are 8 inch stockers. he states "dont want to get him on the reel, for fear of getting to much slack", whatever that means. fish fight starts at 11 minutes. granted he lands the fish so whatever works i guess .

IMO that comes down to experience and ability more than one way is right or wrong. Personally I would prefer to never have a fish on the reel if I had my choice. I feel I am able to stay tight during change of directions or momentum and adjust to a running fish much quicker and smoother if it's not on the reel. Coho are a prime example of that. On the rare occasion one earns the reel I feel I end up with moments of slack much more often when jump or change direction compared to when I have the line in my hand. That's not to say everyone should feel that way of course, it's just what my own experience has taught me. Of course with some fish that's just not an option. Not sure I've ever seen a vid of someone stripping in a 40 lb GT lol

I did watch him with that fish and I saw nothing that would make me think putting it on the reel was the right move. That fish never really did much. If it took off it would have gotten on the reel regardless, but it didn't and he didn't allow it. That's right up my alley. No idea what rod or leader he was using but I'm one to fish as stout a leader as I can get away with precisely for this reason. IMO that fish was a prime example of a fish that may have been lost if he insisted on putting it on the reel. As it's flailing about, not really going anywhere, there's a good chance he ends up losing tension on the fish as he tries to reel in the slack line, and ends up losing it as it thrashes around. I've seen it play out so many times. Instead he lands that fish in the time it would take many people to actually get it on the reel.

Can't say for sure but I took his comment about not wanting slack line as he didnt want to lose tension while trying to reel the loose line, which makes complete sense to me.

IMO that comes down to experience and ability more than one way is right or wrong. Personally I would prefer to never have a fish on the reel if I had my choice. I feel I am able to stay tight during change of directions or momentum and adjust to a running fish much quicker and smoother if it's not on the reel. Coho are a prime example of that. On the rare occasion one earns the reel I feel I end up with moments of slack much more often when jump or change direction compared to when I have the line in my hand. That's not to say everyone should feel that way of course, it's just what my own experience has taught me. Of course with some fish that's just not an option. Not sure I've ever seen a vid of someone stripping in a 40 lb GT lol

I did watch him with that fish and I saw nothing that would make me think putting it on the reel was the right move. That fish never really did much. If it took off it would have gotten on the reel regardless, but it didn't and he didn't allow it. That's right up my alley. No idea what rod or leader he was using but I'm one to fish as stout a leader as I can get away with precisely for this reason. IMO that fish was a prime example of a fish that may have been lost if he insisted on putting it on the reel. As it's flailing about, not really going anywhere, there's a good chance he ends up losing tension on the fish as he tries to reel in the slack line, and ends up losing it as it thrashes around. I've seen it play out so many times. Instead he lands that fish in the time it would take many people to actually get it on the reel.

Can't say for sure but I took his comment about not wanting slack line as he didnt want to lose tension while trying to reel the loose line, which makes complete sense to me.
you should take him fishing. content.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My infamous resi rainbow was about the same size as his first fish that he stripped in. That kind of fish does not need a reel, just pull him in and let them lose to go get bigger. My January fish did not give me a choice.