Bad outing for FlyFish Dan

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I couldn’t tell if that was an R8 or a Sonic. He
may have said what rod it was but I didn’t catch it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pretty fucked up if he was on Public land and it was a warning shot of some kind.

At least the reel seat is an easy fix, granted, if you spending $600-$1200 depending on the rod, you dont want to have to deal with it.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I couldn’t tell if that was an R8 or a Sonic. He
may have said what rod it was but I didn’t catch it.

Didn't watch the video, but I know he sells his own line of rods so on the surface I'd guess it was one of those.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Didn't watch the video, but I know he sells his own line of rods so on the surface I'd guess it was one of those.
I wasn’t aware of his own line of rods. I have seen a handful of his videos and he is always using a sage tcr or vt2. This one was a new rod for him and it was a Sage. R8 or Sonic. Thing just fell apart on him.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
That guy is a douche bag, he justifies using a trout spey on the OP during spring Steelhead season because that 5wt casts the same grain weight as a 7/8 single hander.

I called him out on it and got a nasty email back, I never responded as theres no point to argue as his ego would never admit hes wrong.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Just guessing, but if Flyfish Dan ever has the reel seat of one of his own rods fall off you wouldn't be watching it happen on a YouTube video. ;) I've had a number of firearm related issues while fishing and know how he felt. Had some dudes open up with automatic weapons shooting into the Skagit river (and toward the South Skagit Hwy) about 20yds in front of me as I was walking out of a steelhead run a couple years ago. Quite a shock, going from utter silence to armageddon. Stray bullets have also hit trees near me in years past. I knew the jokers on the Skagit hadn't seen me, but in the other cases you always wonder if it's a psycho shooting at you or just a stray/careless shot. Nothing against responsible hunters, but there are also a lot of nutjobs with guns running around out there. And IMO they're far more prevalent and dangerous than Grizzly will ever be - at least in WA.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That guy is a douche bag, he justifies using a trout spey on the OP during spring Steelhead season because that 5wt casts the same grain weight as a 7/8 single hander.

I called him out on it and got a nasty email back, I never responded as theres no point to argue as his ego would never admit hes wrong.

Yeah there are a couple others who I have witnessed fall in to this fishing math theory.

I have watched a few of his videos but that had to do more with me gathering some info on certain bodies of water. This one got me because I read the title and had a few minutes to kill, but having your rod fall apart and getting a bullet whizzing by would end my day (I think)

When I first heard that I thought arrow.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Rod weights and Steelhead is another entertaining and complex topic. I watched Ed Ward battle a large Skagit fish on a soft 6wt switch rod and he had it licked in under 5 minutes. I've also watched inexperienced folks with 9wt spey rods following fish around with their rod pointed toward the sky and the tip barely bent, afraid to use the power of the rod to expedite the battle. The part of FFD's using a 5wt two hander that really bugs me is that he POSTS about it. A lot of his followers (beginners) think he's an expert. If it's just him, he'll learn soon enough that a 5wt isn't enough if he's lucky enough to hook a decent fish with it.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm gonna make a comment about a sage rod that my friend was gifted.
Really nice 9' 4wt, but what I could not believe was the reel seat was plastic, I mean really.
I bought a least expensive Redington 9' 5wt at a closeout price of less than $100.00 with a real wood reel seat and stainless parts.
That Redington rod has caught lots and lots of fish and I handed it down to grandchildren and it is still catching fish without fail.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Just guessing, but if Flyfish Dan ever has the reel seat of one of his own rods fall off you wouldn't be watching it happen on a YouTube video. ;) I've had a number of firearm related issues while fishing and know how he felt. Had some dudes open up with automatic weapons shooting into the Skagit river (and toward the South Skagit Hwy) about 20yds in front of me as I was walking out of a steelhead run a couple years ago. Quite a shock, going from utter silence to armageddon. Stray bullets have also hit trees near me in years past. I knew the jokers on the Skagit hadn't seen me, but in the other cases you always wonder if it's a psycho shooting at you or just a stray/careless shot. Nothing against responsible hunters, but there are also a lot of nutjobs with guns running around out there. And IMO they're far more prevalent and dangerous than Grizzly will ever be - at least in WA.
Automatic weapons? Should be easy to track down who it was. Very rare and very expensive permits are required for such arms.
I had something similar of the Grand Ronde years ago but it was just an ar-15 and it was done deliberately to keep us from fishing the run.

Zak

Legend
Automatic weapons? Should be easy to track down who it was. Very rare and very expensive permits are required for such arms.
I had something similar of the Grand Ronde years ago but it was just an ar-15 and it was done deliberately to keep us from fishing the run.
Did you fish the run?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just 😳….. I have never encountered anything like this other than a guy who let his dogs loose on me on the Sky gravel bar off of the old dorman road access (many many years ago…that was scary).

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
This once happened to me back in Michigan. Alone with my dogs, I had hiked in a bit off the Old Stronach Road to the Little Manistee. About a quarter mile in, a shot rang out and I heard that scary pffffft sound whiz by. Rattled more than a little, it was back to the car for the three of us....

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've been shot at once...I could hear the bullet wizz by my ear, this was about 40 years ago on the east end of Molokai. The guy who shot at me became a good fishing friend later on...
One of the neighboring land owners who threatened me with a gun while surveying in the woods later became someone who granted me access to several miles of river without having to ask to cross, and actually kind of a friend. Weird how those things work out.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
One of the neighboring land owners who threatened me with a gun while surveying in the woods later became someone who granted me access to several miles of river without having to ask to cross, and actually kind of a friend. Weird how those things work out.
No kidding…. I was at Kamalo pier and watching a school of mullet; I laid a piece of gill net out and proceeded to push the fish towards the net, which Hawaiians call pai pai, splashing the water to head the fish into a net…apparently I should not have fished there. Six months later, we are drinking beers and fishing out of his boat../

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Criminals don’t buy permits… 😉