Attempted Lake Traverse

This past week my wife and I tried one of my bucket list traverses. We'd visited parts of this ridge in the past and on paper and google earth it seemed like a reasonable adventure. Like many a trip it started with a hot slog, gaining 3000' of elevation to the first pass.

DSC01605.jpeg

Another 45 minutes of steep off trail got us to our first night's destination.

DSC01609.jpeg

We've been to this lake twice before and I know that it once held fish, but my expectations were low. While lounging on shore after a refreshing dip, the silence was broken by the deep 'kerploosh' of a rise and my immediate “Wah-Hooo!” After setting up the tent and a quick snack it was mandatory fishing time.

DSC01614.jpeg

This was a quality over quantity lake which is a choice I'll gladly take. And sight fishing? Yes Please! Who can tell me what's up with this fish? It looks like a Rainbow, but the white ventral fin marks say Char to me.

DSC01672.jpeg

DSC01657.jpeg

DSC01641.jpeg

Our second day was supposed to be easy. We're always slow the day after a strenuous approach, and on the map the mileage looked trivial. Morning was spent on more (successful) fishing, lounging, and exploring the lake vicinity. We left camp at the crack of noon. By the time we got going it had clouded up, and soon started raining lightly. It never got that bad, but was enough to create slippery rocks and even more slippery heather.

DSC01693.jpeg

There is all sorts of cool rock here with fascinating detail in the weathered surfaces.

DSC01670.jpeg

DSC01687.jpeg

Route-finding turned out to be way trickier than expected with lots of boulder hopping and hard work trying not to slide out on the heather. We spent far too much time and energy puzzling our way past a cliffy ridge, with much elevation lost, gained, lost, and regained. By the time we found the key gulley and made our way into the next basin, we'd pretty much had enough.

DSC01695 (1).jpeg

DSC01700.jpeg

It was tempting to stop at this second, unnamed lake, but opted to keep going and stay on schedule. We may come back in larch season sometime, though there are no fish here as far as I can tell. Onward; more boulders, hauling on vegetation up steep loose ground, and finally a nice little trail to the next lake. It took us five and a half difficult hours from camp to camp.

DSC01707.jpeg

That night it rained hard, and we sat in the tent looking at maps. The next day was again supposed to be off trail, more than twice as long as what we'd just done, and potentially more difficult. We were tired, sore, and a bit discouraged; we decided to bail out while we had the chance.

DSC01724.jpeg

Of course I did put in more mandatory fishing time and had a few takes, but no hookups. What fish were there seemed widely scattered about, and I didn't have all day to put one on the scoreboard. We packed up and headed out for what should have been a reasonable hike out, but had to contend with the worst blowdown-strewn trail I've ever seen; and as a bonus- a hot, flat, two mile road walk back to the car.

Now that I'm home and rested a bit the soreness is draining out of my quads. I've looked again at the map and google earth, and I'm already itching to get back and finish the route we'd originally planned. WDFW shows that in 2021 there were Golden Trout planted in the next lake along the ridge, and they'll be even bigger next year.

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Bravo!!!! Gorgeous pics!!!

That wonderful and well-earned trip will be etched in your memory for the rest of your lives!

Divad

Whitefish
What a wonderful trip and very cool you can share such an adventure with your significant other. Mind me asking what she does while you fish?

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Mind me asking what she does while you fish?
Sometimes she just sleeps in. Other than that or lounging in camp she may wander about photographing wildflowers or will sometimes do an easy scramble. She also brings along a spindle and roving, loose fiber, which gets turned into handspun yarn. That's a good relaxing meditative pastime.

I try to make a point of not spending an obnoxious amount of time fishing. Usually once I've caught a few I'm satisfied with having solved the puzzle and met the aquatic beauties. I don't see the need to bother every fish in the lake. It's times when I know they're there and can't make it happen that the obsession becomes a problem.

It's good to keep in perspective that we (she) are doing pretty darned well, especially considering our advanced ages; mid-late 60's. Many times I get frustrated, particularly with her inability to get going in the morning. I would much rather get out of bed uncomfortably early and hit the trailhead at 8-9AM than hike uphill in the heat of the day. Her fitness could be better, but considering that she does essentially no training other than when we're actually out hiking, it ain't that bad.

I did hardly any fishing for decades after moving to the PNW. I came here for mountaineering, and was focused on alpine climbing, which we often did together. Once you've gotten used to gnarly mountain approaches with the extra weight of a bunch of technical climbing gear on your back, this off trail stuff seems pretty manageable. I've also gotten pretty good a packing light. I end up hauling nearly all of our group gear; tent, stove, and fuel, and my pack with five days of food, fishing setup, and water weighed about 28# setting out.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Great looking fish Phil. The small high lakes sometimes hold the biggest fish because they aren't planted heavily and there's no spawning.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Wonderful report. Great pics.

cheers

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Awesome report and pics! It's common for rainbows to have white tipped fins like that. And some have the brightest orange tip on the dorsal!