Ascension Bay

MT406

Steelhead
Heading to to Ascension Bay in April. Have a 7wt Sage X I figured I’d bring down for Bone fish if the wind isn’t too bad. Debating between a 9 or 10wt. Looking suggestions on rods & reels.

Thanks,

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
There are juvenile tarpon and Snook there. I hooked a couple Tarpon in the mangroves (didn’t land them, but was rewarded with nine or ten absolutely frantic, incredible jumps between the two of them!) I had a TFO 10 wt. with a Bauer reel.
Your seven weight is perfect for the bones you may find there.
It’s a beautiful place. Beware of the saltwater croc’s.

Kado

Steelhead
Also selfishly interested. I have a late May trip. Currently tying a lot of EP spawning shrimp in 8-2 sizes in tan colors. Any suggestions as far as patterns and the sizes is helpful. MT406.....best of luck!

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
My first trip down there was in 2003. Second and last trip was only a few years later, so I really don’t remember the hot fly for Bones.
I do remember the tarpon absolutely smashing a Cockroach I’d tied on though.
It’s etched in my brain 😄

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
They like a lot of small, drab flies for the bones down there.

For the 9 or 10 wt—are you thinking permit, juvenile tarpon, or both?

Bonefish Jack

Steelhead
Heading to to Ascension Bay in April. Have a 7wt Sage X I figured I’d bring down for Bone fish if the wind isn’t too bad. Debating between a 9 or 10wt. Looking suggestions on rods & reels.

Thanks,
One thing to remember, in saltwater fishing like in Ascension Bay, the reel is way more important than the rod. Take the 7wt, should be perfect for the bonefish - and, make sure you have a very good matching reel, with an excellent drag. Same advice for the heavier rod for the heavier fish.

mrprohde

Just Hatched
I have been to ABay and few times along with a couple of other flats trips. So, I will share a few of my thoughts, although I DO NOT claim to be expert and others likely have different opinions.

Setups:

On trips where there are multiple species are present like ABay I typically bring 3 rods with me each day. 1 Setup up with a shrimp for Bonefish and or Permit (Usually an 8). One set up with a crab for Permit (usually a 9), and a 10 rigged for either Tarpon or more likely for Barracuda. On a day where we are fishing more for Tarpon in the jungle the 9 and or 10 gets reconfigured. Out on the flats different species can pop up quickly so I like to be ready. I get that Cudda’s aren’t part of the “grand slam” or as “special” as a Permit, but make for some of my best memories. Don’t pass up shots at the big ones, they are fast, jump and generally pull hard..

Abay you generally have a boat partner in that case 1 10 for Cudda and 1 for Tarpon. Each an 8 for Bonefish walks, and the 9’s with different crabs. Ready for the day minus Cerveza’a.

Certainly one can be get by with fewer setups, just more time/opportunity lost to re-rigging.

Flies:

For bones a variety of sizes colors and weights is likely more important than this years hot pattern. Veverka’s Mantis Shrimp is one I don’t leave home without. Not flashy, seems to work many places.

Permit = crabs in a variety of sizes colors and weights. If you end up targeting them in deep water say on or near the ocean the Avalon Shrimp is good to have there, else crabs.

Tarpon the EP spawning shrimp mentioned is a good one for Abay. Works for snook too. I would have some roaches, black deaths, toads, etc also.

Bring a couple poppers and needlefish for Cuddas and wire leader.

Leaders:

I don’t get to go often enough so I use fluorocarbon, I need any/every advantage. And the $’s aren’t that great compared to the trip. Tarpon I generally just run straight 40-60 with no fuse…. Yes, rods have been broken, normally operator error.

Best advice:

Really good sun glasses (green mirror) normally for Abay
Don’t sun burn your feet. Saw a guy burn his on day one and be miserable the rest of the week
Don’t arrive expecting to catch a Grand Slam, arrive hoping to catch some Bones and experience something cool and new.
Practice casting a LOT with big rods before you go, I try to practice on the days it is blustery, instead of the sunny calm days.
Get out a wade some, learn to spot and stalk on your own. Super rewarding.
Work out with your guide(s) each day a plan for communicating distance and direction.
Try (it can be hard) to only cast to fish you can see.
Cast to where they eat not where they shit. Advice that was given to me by an Abay guide as the fish fled the flat. Refer to the practice casting tip.

Have fun,

Paul

Kado

Steelhead
Hope @MT406 got his question answered as I realize I'm sort of steering this thread....
The bonefish I see in videos look like they can be caught with size 6 or even 8 patterns....which I would normally use a 6 wt for. I'm used to casting in the wind as I beach fish a lot here on the sound although I can definitely cast a 7 or 8wt better in the wind....but I'm worried about the line splash. Is being able to hit your target at distance more important or the delicate presentation? I used an 8wt in Hawaii as the bones are huge. I guess I'm wondering if I even bother with a 6wt as I'm sort of 'that guy' who brings a lot of rods anyway (I'll be bringing a 7wt boo rod too)? Are there ever calm mornings down there?
Thanks.....
Mark
BTW...love the "cast to where they eat, not where they shit" line...I'll be sharing that with my buddies.

Chucker

Steelhead
I have said this many times before; most people fish gear that is way to heavy for bonefish down in A-bay. I always take a 4 weight when I go down there, and it’s always the most fun. Of the hundreds of bonefish that I have caught in that area, I can only think of one that was of a size that I would not have been able to handle with the 4 and a decent reel.

Of course, most of the time I don’t use the 4. The rod that I use is determined by the conditions (wind), size/weight of the fly (determined by depth of water) and whether or not there are permit in the area. If I have 3 rods set up it’s 4 7 10.

Went to A-bay in late May this year. We wanted to try to get migrator tarpon. Me and my fishing buddy each brought 3 rods to the boat each day. Each of us had 7wt (my setup was a 7wt X with a rio bonefish line) for Bones, always had a 8wt set up for permit then we had a 9wt 10wt 11wt setups. Depending on what we wanted to target we would swap rods around so some days we carried 2x 10wt setups no 9 or we would only bring 1 7wt and carry 2 8wt for permit. Lots of fun. Both of us landed permit, bones and tarpon.

Bricaud

Smolt
I fly out a week from Friday for my first flats trip - heading to Ascension Bay with a group of 10 fishing buddies. Will report back in a couple weeks!

Think i finally have all the kit figured out - taking a 7wt, 9wt and a 10wt.

Nomad1

Freshly Spawned
Also selfishly interested. I have a late May trip. Currently tying a lot of EP spawning shrimp in 8-2 sizes in tan colors. Any suggestions as far as patterns and the sizes is helpful. MT406.....best of luck!
Almost more important than color is weight. Tides and water temperatures will have fish feeding at different levels of the water column. Tie those spawning shrimp and other likely suspects in several weights so you can figure where you need to be at any given time. I’d change weight before I changed flies. I always start with a gotcha and rarely change patterns ABay is great fun