Are Pass Lake Browns Gone?

aaronj

Smolt
It has been years since I caught a Brownie on Pass. The WDFW trout plant records don't show any recent plantings (of either Rainbows or Browns for that matter). Does anyone have some insight on their disappearance?

-Happiness is a tight line

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not sure what report you are looking at but it will get 3,000 browns as well as 7,000 rainbows.
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
They are still there, we caught several last year in December. Agreed they seem harder to find compared to before but they do stock brown fry if I remember correctly.

Chucker

Steelhead
I caught a 14 incher last year. Unlike most fly fishers, landing a brown doesn’t excite me.
I’m with you, we have great species of native trout in the PNW, why add browns? Especially as the particular variety of browns that are stocked around here are not exactly a good example of the species.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The last Brown I caught at Pass did a pretty fair imitation of an anchor. It took quite an effort to get him to come up with the 4wt. Rod tip bent over to the water for nearly a full minute until it finally succumbed to the pressure. Measured all of 16".

The Fish Whisperer

Smolt
Forum Supporter
They are there......it's just that the lake has been all jacked up the last couple of years and not its normal self. Try the obvious places and times of day.

aaronj

Smolt
Was there yesterday. Slow going, fish were super-tuned into the large chironomids hatching. On a hunch, I switched to an emerger pattern, cast it toward rise rings and turned up the patience. After a few casts I was rewarded with a 19 inch Rainbow (keeping one eye on the eagle circling above). No Brownies, but a good day as always, fishing...1000007929.jpg

aaronj

Smolt
The last Brown I caught at Pass did a pretty fair imitation of an anchor. It took quite an effort to get him to come up with the 4wt. Rod tip bent over to the water for nearly a full minute until it finally succumbed to the pressure. Measured all of 16".
My encounters with Browns at Pass have been positive. Yes, they tend to be grinders, staying below the surface in their struggle for freedom. Still, it's always a little exciting to see one coming in toward the net...photos all of Pass Brownies from the past.

Attachments

• 63221in_Brown.JPG
    63221in_Brown.JPG
    819.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 63219in_Female_Brown.JPG
    63219in_Female_Brown.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Pass Lake Brown in Hand.JPG
    Pass Lake Brown in Hand.JPG
    506.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Pass Lake Brown.JPG
    Pass Lake Brown.JPG