Anyone Using a Stonfo Vise ?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
If so, are you happy with the base? If not; have you found a replacement that works?

I’ve had a Stonfo Transformer for about a week and a half and so far I love it. However, the base is a little light and I don’t love how the shaft sits in the plastic base. I fixed the weight issues by adding bb’s to the hollow portion of the base per a YouTube video I found. That worked well. In the end, I’d like to replace it though with something like the CE Tech base but not sure if they are compatible. So far, no responses to my emails. Thoughts on that or other options?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Find a machinist/ welder/ metal guy and have them fab up a base with a receiver for the vice shaft.
Had a friend do it for me with my first clamp vise.
He charged me like 15 bucks back in the 80's.wasnt pretty, but it was heavy and I still have it.
:)

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
If so, are you happy with the base? If not; have you found a replacement that works?

I’ve had a Stonfo Transformer for about a week and a half and so far I love it. However, the base is a little light and I don’t love how the shaft sits in the plastic base. I fixed the weight issues by adding bb’s to the hollow portion of the base per a YouTube video I found. That worked well. In the end, I’d like to replace it though with something like the CE Tech base but not sure if they are compatible. So far, no responses to my emails. Thoughts on that or other options?

Loved my Transformer, hated the base. Unfortunately Stonfo uses a larger vise stem than the industry standard 3/8" and I can say from first hand experience that stock it is not compatible with the CE Tech base.

No doubt with some ingenuity you could figure out a way to make it work, I just never went down that road myself.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
ask ce tech to drill the hole in the riser to accommodate the stonfo stem or drill it larger yourself

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Find a machinist/ welder/ metal guy and have them fab up a base with a receiver for the vice shaft.
Had a friend do it for me with my first clamp vise.
He charged me like 15 bucks back in the 80's.wasnt pretty, but it was heavy and I still have it.
:)

I may end up going this direction!

Loved my Transformer, hated the base. Unfortunately Stonfo uses a larger vise stem than the industry standard 3/8" and I can say from first hand experience that stock it is not compatible with the CE Tech base.

No doubt with some ingenuity you could figure out a way to make it work, I just never went down that road myself.

I am wondering now if my Renzetti Traveler base can accommodate the bolt needed for the Stonfo. Then maybe the CE Tech would as well? If not, I could at least swap on the Renzetti base with the CE Tech and use the Renzetti base for my Stonfo. A trip to Ace is in my future this afternoon….

ask ce tech to drill the hole in the riser to accommodate the stonfo stem or drill it larger yourself
I would….but they have not responded to my email. I’ll give it another shot. Maybe see if they have a customer service line to call.

Thanks all for the responses!

Edit: I had not checked for a response in a few days but actually just checked and there was one!

My apologies for taking so long to return your email. I forgot all about it. They are designed to fit 3/8" post and do not work with the Stonfo. I tried to make it work for both at one time and they would loosen up over time with the American made vises. Maybe in the future I will have something for both. I appreciate your interest.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If the drilling option doesn't work, maybe a have a local marble or granite retailer cut and drill you a base? Maybe they have some scrap?
I've seen them before and they look nice. Just not sure of the cost or if you'd like that look.

They must be popular since they are all sold out.... ;)

Another Option
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the idea @Stonedfish ! Decided to just make a replacement myself but had not thought of natural stone as an option. Tough to come up with granite remnants unless you know a countertop installer so headed to home depot to look for something. Best option I found was a slab of marble tile used for trim on floors. Bought a piece ($18) and some 6mm fasteners to bolt in the clamp. Brought it home, popped it with a hammer to break off a chunk (the slab was about 2 feet long) and used tile/stone drill bits to drill the hole and sink the bolt. Easy peasy. I even used the crappy plastic feet that came on the stonfo vise base as material holders by super gluing them on. Overall, it works well. I’ve got my assembly line going for stinger clousers. Might as well get started now. Coho are only 3-4 months away and I have a lot of tying to do!

21B2EF99-01BE-442B-87A7-9AB2ED478881.jpeg

I do have some countertops being installed soon. I will probably ask the installers if they have any remnants I can have/buy so I can make a better one. Conceptually though - this worked and is a step up stability wise from the base that came with the vise.

Last edited:

candr

Steelhead
I use a Transformer as my desk vise and so I permanently mounted it with a base mount from Jvise that is screwed to my desk. I also tie over my lap so I use it with the renzetti lap extension so I can sit back in my chair and not lean over the desk. I like your idea of picking a custom piece of stone and drilling it. Looks good.

F177B657-670C-4008-A9CB-2293AE9BEB6A.jpeg
014B841A-B507-43D1-80CC-FA6BE0160FA2.jpeg