any recent intel on Dry Falls?

Chadk

Life of the Party
Yeah, definitely ice free. Watch a group of folks fishing it this past weekend for a bit, it looked slow.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Remember that the shallow margins of the lake warm much quicker than the deeper parts and hold more food early on. Fish will be where the food is. I forgot that for a couple of hours this week but once I remembered I was in business. Those Type 4, 5, 6 and 7 lines will be invaluable in a couple of months but for now floaters and intermediates might be a better choice.

Also, when fishing early hit the bank that gets the first sunshine of the day.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I fished Wednesday with a type 5 sinking line and an olive leech. Had 6 bites and landed 4 fish. All were really fat and fought well. Heavy chironomid hatches but lots of wind. Pumped one fish and it contained #16 olive chironomids. Caught one small fish with all 90 feet of sinking line out but mostly about 35 feet out.4A10BD26-6DC0-46AF-90C2-464B2208F8EA.jpeg

Attachments

• D5CFEC3D-8181-48A0-BD97-0AE65CA32833.jpeg
    D5CFEC3D-8181-48A0-BD97-0AE65CA32833.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 3

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Remember that the shallow margins of the lake warm much quicker than the deeper parts and hold more food early on. Fish will be where the food is. I forgot that for a couple of hours this week but once I remembered I was in business. Those Type 4, 5, 6 and 7 lines will be invaluable in a couple of months but for now floaters and intermediates might be a better choice.

Also, when fishing early hit the bank that gets the first sunshine of the day.
Good points! Another add to this is that pseudo spring spawners will cruise the shorelines looking for moving water and gravel beds this time of year.

Last edited:

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dry Falls was definitely ice-free when I fished it on Friday 4/1/2022. The water temperature was 51 to 52 degrees. Great water visibility of around 15 feet in the morning, but in the afternoon the junk started floating to the surface, mucking up the water and turning off the bite. I think all the desert basin lakes are ice-free. Even Lake Keechelus at the pass was almost totally ice-free when I drove back on Saturday evening.

20220401_140611.jpg

The lake was fishing tough. Couldn't find any fish on the edges or shoals, only down deep, like 22 to 23 feet deep. Landed 7 fish; best one was this husky 18 incher that fought quite well:

IMGP5694.JPG

All the fish I hooked were on a BH Black Simi Seal Leech, but I don't think the specific fly pattern was that important as long as you put the fly in front of the fish's nose.

There were at least 8 other guys out there on Friday, so maybe they can report what worked for them.

Here's a photo of the rising sun lighting up the basalt cliffs (taken from the Alkali Lake camping area):

IMGP5698.JPG

Here's another shot of the basalt cliffs towering over Lake Lenore, lit up by the rising sun:

IMGP5696.JPG

Rex

dep

Steelhead
My Report: didn't fish Dry Falls. Went to Lenice and it was white capping - so didn't fish Lenice.
the last two trailers (Shawn and Jack) were leaving. so parking lot was empty on a Saturday.
found and picked some early wild asparagus.
went to Rocky Ford - caught a few fish. probably 15 people working the creek and 3 or 4 camping set ups.
Woke up Sunday to overcast skies and calm winds. it was cold!
decided to golf with a few friends and interact with people instead of fishing solo. and I am not a good golfer.
as the guys said after the round: we have golfed with people who are shittier than you - not quite sure how to take that!