Any interest in a fly swap on this forum?

WWKimba

Smolt
Hi, my name is Kim and I love to host fly swaps. I cut my teeth on them back when FAOL was still an active on-line magazine as well as an active forum (I have used this screen handle on all the sites I currently belong to) - I'm OLD and don't want to test my memory remembering a whole slew of names!

About me - I've been tying flies for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for going on 12 years now. If anyone wants to vet me, besides FAOL (flyangleresonline.com - where I also contributed a couple articles under my real-world name - Kim Bowman), I am currently active on www.flytyingforum.com (FTF), www.theflyfishingforum.com (NAFFF), and www.paflyfish.com (Pennsylvania Fly Fishers). On any of these sites there is an OLD picture of me that I posted on my first swaps hosting so everyone would see who they were swapping with - posted below here as well (and how old and ugly I am!). On the FTF take a look back around Aug/Sept 2020 (AKA the year that disappeared due to COVID!) where I started a 5-part, 6-month long swap JUST for beginner tyers - going through Streamers, then nymphs, and so on until we finished with terrestrial patterns.

I'd like to offer my services as a Swapmeister here as well. Now about a fly swap. I (or any other Swapmeister AKA Swap Host) will simply post a swap title/theme on this site. Themes can be ANYTHING - flies designed by a particular tyer, patterns for a particular time of year (I like to do a Ladies Night Swap in March due to Women's History Month - it's open to men and women just the fly has to be designed by a woman). I just participated in a Sports Swap - loved the theme (actually I was jealous that I hadn't come up with it!) - design/tie a fly that uses your favorite pro or college baseball/football teams colors! Like I said themes can be anything! The host will note the date that registration is open for, the date that your flies are due in by, the number of participants (usually between 6 to 12 tyers) and any other quirks/rules for that swap. Lastly, the host will PM (personal message) you their mailing address to you. After the flies are in (every member will tie a single pattern and enough of that pattern to match the number of tyers that are participating in that swap - i.e.- if there are 10 swappers you'll tie 10 flies of the same pattern and get 10 different patterns back to try out on your chosen waters. ALL anyone needs to participate is your flies. each with a toe tag and all placed in a swap box, along with an SASE (so you get your flies back) all of this in your sending envelope. BTW - a toe tag is simply a strip of paper, card stock, or 2MM to 3MM foam with your screen handle and the name of the pattern on it and for the swap box - think of any plastic or metal box that resembles an Altoid's tin, NOTE: The only thing that I can add is about the hooks and toe tags. First, it is considered a courtesy that you tie your flies on EITHER de-barbed hooks or barbless hooks - saves on the piercings! Now this can cause the paper toe tag to slip off - here's something to try. Simply leave a blank space on either end of the tag and fold that end over with the small part on top, now simply poke the hook point through BOTH thicknesses of paper, now open the fold a bit. Now you have a hinge that catches the hook at two points and this will lock the tag in place. To separate simply pinch the tag hinge together and pull the hook out.

Well, as you can see that I DO have the gift of gab when I write! WHAT I WAS ORIGINALLY ASKING IS - Would a fly swap have any interest on this site?? My swaps are open to all level tyers and I do provide a free fly-tying gift or two to all swappers AND if you are a newer tyer you are MOST WECOME to join in - just give me a heads up so I can offer some extra support so your foray in fly swaps is a good experience. I'd like to offer the Ark Swap as my first swap theme - 2X2 patterns - you start with a hook and thread and all you need add is 2 materials or less and tie the pattern in 2 minutes or less. Oh, about the 2 minutes or less - 1) I will NOT come to your house to time you! and 2) I only use a calendar as a timing device! ;)

Anyone interested? Just respond to this post, if there is interest, I'll formally post the swap then. I figure I've got to let the powers that be know what I'm doing as well - my size 13's have stepped on a toe or two in years past!

Kim

BTW, Here's me MANY years ago at a Cub Scout event - the kids in this picture have kids older than they were in this picture! Oh, and I was tying on a homemade clothespin tying vise!! My demo (and back-up) model is in the foreground. I'm the one in the beard. I learned that if you want to be the center of attention just tie a fly!

Outerwear Table Jacket Hat Event

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
We need a swap here, I don't remember any since the steelhead swap about a year ago. Is there any way to get the content from fly angers online over here, it's a favorite place to browse, but seems dead. 'Just old flies' is book marked and I browse it often. Also the articles by "old Rupe" is there a book by that author or a collection of stories gathered somewhere?

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'd be interested and would participate from time to time.
The flies I got out of the steelhead swap were money.

WWKimba

Smolt
We need a swap here, I don't remember any since the steelhead swap about a year ago. Is there any way to get the content from fly angers online over here, it's a favorite place to browse, but seems dead. 'Just old flies' is book marked and I browse it often. Also the articles by "old Rupe" is there a book by that author or a collection of stories gathered somewhere?
First thing I did was copy any and just about ALL the patterns from Just Old, Man in Canada, FOTW,... I'ts been a while since Ladyfisher has passed and, as I understand it, there is a single volunteer site admin trying to hold the forum together. The "search" box lost it's ability about a year ago, so if you want to find anything I'd simply use your general search engine and include "faol" in the search to nailthings down.

I hope that this helps.

Kim

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Welcome Kim. My life is hectic at the moment, but I participated in a bunch of swaps at the old site over the years and would love to participate in a swap in the future.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m in for a 2x2, or any other fly swap.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
My bad.... What is a 2 x 2? Asking for a friend.....
Yeah, I had to go back and read. And read some more. But I found it! @WWKimba wrote

" I'd like to offer the Ark Swap as my first swap theme - 2X2 patterns - you start with a hook and thread and all you need add is 2 materials or less and tie the pattern in 2 minutes or less. Oh, about the 2 minutes or less - 1) I will NOT come to your house to time you! and 2) I only use a calendar as a timing device! ;)"

Hi @WWKimba -- Swaps are cool but I am a slow fly tier. I don't know what would happen with those 2x2 rules, but I might be willing to try. Maybe a streamer. Lash some shit to a hook, haha.

Yeah, I had to go back and read. And read some more. But I found it! @WWKimba wrote

" I'd like to offer the Ark Swap as my first swap theme - 2X2 patterns - you start with a hook and thread and all you need add is 2 materials or less and tie the pattern in 2 minutes or less. Oh, about the 2 minutes or less - 1) I will NOT come to your house to time you! and 2) I only use a calendar as a timing device! ;)"

Hi @WWKimba -- Swaps are cool but I am a slow fly tier. I don't know what would happen with those 2x2 rules, but I might be willing to try. Maybe a streamer. Lash some shit to a hook, haha.
Out.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
How long can it take to tie a chironomid? Also seems like a hare & copper could be done in about that time, ditto a scud, sow bug, miracle midge, or an elk hair caddis.

Don’t give up, try. Besides, it’s not like anyone‘s timing. The idea, I believe, is to have fun tying very simple flies and get creative.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
First thing I did was copy any and just about ALL the patterns from Just Old, Man in Canada, FOTW,... I'ts been a while since Ladyfisher has passed and, as I understand it, there is a single volunteer site admin trying to hold the forum together. The "search" box lost it's ability about a year ago, so if you want to find anything I'd simply use your general search engine and include "faol" in the search to nailthings down.

I hope that this helps.

Kim

I used to run into Ladyfisher and her husband Castaway while fishing our local beaches long ago. Were their names Deanna and Jim? They loved fishing Gatti fly rods.
Welcome aboard.
SF

WWKimba

Smolt
I used to run into Ladyfisher and her husband Castaway while fishing our local beaches long ago. Were their names Deanna and Jim? They loved fishing Gatti fly rods.
Welcome aboard
Yes they were. The story is that they both sat down at the kitchen table one night and listed everything that they would want in a fly fishing/tying site and FAOL was born. Jim di the business end (working on the $$ from sponsors and Deanna (Ladyfisher) ran the site. Things cut back when Jim had his heart attack in the Carribean while signing up a sponsor. Then a few years later she made her last cast. I met some fine people through that magazine and it's forum. That clothespin vise in my picture was designed by a buddy I met on FAOL that lived about an hours drive south of me - Ed Engelman (lowbudgetflyfisher). In fact he was working on a vise using chop sticks at the time and finishing his book up. To this day I have seen and joined other sites but NONE are as complete and has the consistent quality that FAOL had. I'm not putting any other site down, it's just that this site was in a league of its own.

Kim

WWKimba

Smolt
I see that there is enough interest so I'm formally listing the swap on a new thread and I look forward to working with you all!

Kim