SFR Another drowning

Sorta fishing-related

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Can't stress it enough, wear your PFD. This was senseless.

Having shot my big mouth off, it sounds like the person who drowned wasn't the paddler who overturned but a person from on shore who went to his assistance.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Incredibly sad. Can't say enough about water temperature and safety.

Since the wheel was recently invented...

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Another good rule: Don't become a second rescuee. Probably a good guy trying to do the right thing. Just sad...
First rule is no new victims. It’s so sad to see this happen

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That's sad to hear. One day a car in front of us drove off the road and was hanging sideways on a very steep bank. I got the screaming mom out, then went and got the whole car seat with the kid in it, and even the little ones bottle rolling on the window. The state patrol officer basically chewed me out and said I was lucky and could have been a victim. Later the car slid down to the creek and he said that's why, but that he probably would have done it too. It's hard not to just rush in when someone needs help.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
Reminds me of a time in about 1980. Ex and I camped on White River mile or so below the dam. I had gone for a walk, car comes tearing by, a fly fisherman didn’t pay attention to the dam warning horn. I ran to my truck, showed up at the area he was in. Wearing waders, water to his neck, scared frozen in place, people standing around. Only thing I had with me was a 100’ extension cord. Gave one end to a big guy, floated down to the fisherman.
Idiot tried grabbing me, wrapped the extension cord around him. He refused to drop his rod. I told him to make a choice. The other guy pulled him in, I floated/swam a bit farther down. Guy never thanked any of us, got in his car, left.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
That's sad to hear. One day a car in front of us drove off the road and was hanging sideways on a very steep bank. I got the screaming mom out, then went and got the whole car seat with the kid in it, and even the little ones bottle rolling on the window. The state patrol officer basically chewed me out and said I was lucky and could have been a victim. Later the car slid down to the creek and he said that's why, but that he probably would have done it too. It's hard not to just rush in when someone needs help.
Jesus Tom, hero.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Can't stress it enough, wear your PFD. This was senseless.

Having shot my big mouth off, it sounds like the person who drowned wasn't the paddler who overturned but a person from on shore who went to his assistance.

It actually was the kayaker who drown. Tragic regardless.
SF

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Decades ago my parents insisted on all of us getting red cross swimming lessons and pushed us to be WSI certified (red cross water safety instructor. Took me 2 tries.)
Instruction stressed rescues follow the " row, throw, go" principle. Wish more people took those classes these days

Otter

Steelhead
Wow! Incredibly fast and brave action, Tom. I want someone like you around, if I ever need help like that.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
The general public is much less cognizant of hyperthermia and water temperatures over the course of a year than fishermen I think.
As I saw this on the news I commented to my wife that one shouldn't swim after a drowning victim in mid 40 degree water.
At the end of the news story the reporter stated the water temp was 46 degrees in the lake.
Sad story.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Many, many years ago when you could do a little prospecting on the Wenatchee river gravel bars in winter.
Anyway I was shoveling into my high banker box when I heard some laughter from the river.
I looked up to see some kayakers laughing it up cause one of their buddies was upside down through the riffle.
I throw my shovel down and headed for the river, stopped as the water came to knee deep on my hip boots.
Well, I said to myself, yer gonna drown there guy.
I could hear his helmet hitting the rocks along the riffle.
Anyway he managed to right himself just in time I figured.
His buddies just kept on laughing.
No PFD on the guy.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
The general public is much less cognizant of hyperthermia and water temperatures over the course of a year than fishermen I think.
As I saw this on the news I commented to my wife that one shouldn't swim after a drowning victim in mid 40 degree water.
At the end of the news story the reporter stated the water temp was 46 degrees in the lake.
Sad story.
Had to correct our safety team at work yesterday. They claimed cotton could keep you warm when wet, just like wool. They got mad until I showed them the USCG paper on hypothermia. After that they published a correction along with the USCG study.

Flymph

Steelhead
Where a duty to rescue arises, the rescuer must generally act with reasonable care, and can be held liable for injuries caused by a reckless rescue attempt. However, many states have limited or removed liability from rescuers in such circumstances, particularly where the rescuer is an emergency worker. Furthermore, the rescuers need not endanger themselves in conducting the rescue.

If I am not mistake, there are laws that require you to rescue in other countries.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I pulled my 60+ brother in-law out of a Renton lake several years ago.
He was turning blue when I pulled him to the boat gunnel.
I always wear my PFD now, and on my boat, your PFD must be worn before you climb in.
I heard you need to wear your PFD at boat launches before you get into trucks......

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I heard you need to wear your PFD at boat launches before you get into trucks......
In some cases that might not be a bad idea. :unsure:
A friend of mine sunk his boat trailer with his Silverado attached at W. Medical Lake. He managed to hop in but found out that brakes don't work very well when it's floating. At that point he couldn't get the door open so had to climb his 6'4" body out through the window.
He made the news when divers had to come to recover it.
It's kind of funny now, as it put true meaning to Chevy's "LIke A Rock" commercials, but could have been serious.