Advise to young guys ( fishing related)

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
In short, my advise is DO IT!

Right now I am looking at Google maps. Looking at the blue lines between the North Fork Clearwater on highway 12.
I look at it the blue lines and say to myself "that looks cool I wanna do that" then I switch to Terrain view and think " Hell no" At the moment I am looking at a spot called " Indian Post office" along the Nez Perce Trail and there are two little ponds just down the hill not to far from the road, Terrain view straight down 700 feet. I bet there are a bunch of dumb cutthroat down in those ponds.

Maybe a through hike upstream from the Cayuse air strip up to the forest road 581? again nope I'd die climbing out.

Hell even the 4 hours of gravel roads don't sound fun anymore..
I really wish i could do those kinds of things now a days.. Only 52 but I know my limits.. So to the young guys.. If you have hairbrained ideas that look good to you, you don't need anyone's permission or approval.... GO do them!! Please! you'll regret it if you don't...

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
At 65 years old, I can relate to Rob’s post. There are places that I would like to go, but at this point in my life, probably won’t. I’m in good shape and still chasing upland birds, fishing the Deschutes, hiking into high country lakes, and downhill skiing in the winter. That said, I know my days of doing these activities are numbered, so my approach is to go as much as possible (when we aren’t with the grandchildren). Life is a journey. Enjoy it!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I like your advice, Rob. Carpe diem. If you are like me, your obligations will keep you from executing your harebrained ideas before your lack of fitness will. Do it when you can.

JayB

Steelhead
When I was about to finish college, I spent a fair amount of time thinking about how to get the most out of the unique advantages of youth and old-age, and decided that I'd emphasize hobbies and interests that required fitness and risk tolerance while young, and time and money when I was older.

I gave it my best shot, but even when you're acutely aware that youth is fleeting and you do what you can to maximize the unique advantages that come along with being young, fit, and free the golden-days of diem-carpeing youth aren't without their tradeoffs.

It can be exhilarating and rewarding cramming as much adventure as possible into your life, but once you turn the dial up to a certain setting, the stress and anxiety that come along with constantly pushing yourself can start to wear on you and drain some of the joy out of the enterprise. Adventure-seeking can also complicate other goals in your life, like getting on a viable career path, forming and maintaining relationships, achieving financial stability, etc. For most people I've known that have gone down that path, at some point swapping in a great deal of the freedom, risk, and adventure they enjoyed in their youth for stability, security, and family seems like more than a fair trade.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
When I was about to finish college, I spent a fair amount of time thinking about how to get the most out of the unique advantages of youth and old-age, and decided that I'd emphasize hobbies and interests that required fitness and risk tolerance while young, and time and money when I was older.

I gave it my best shot, but even when you're acutely aware that youth is fleeting and you do what you can to maximize the unique advantages that come along with being young, fit, and free the golden-days of diem-carpeing youth aren't without their tradeoffs.

It can be exhilarating and rewarding cramming as much adventure as possible into your life, but once you turn the dial up to a certain setting, the stress and anxiety that come along with constantly pushing yourself can start to wear on you and drain some of the joy out of the enterprise. Adventure-seeking can also complicate other goals in your life, like getting on a viable career path, forming and maintaining relationships, achieving financial stability, etc. For most people I've known that have gone down that path, at some point swapping in a great deal of the freedom, risk, and adventure they enjoyed in their youth for stability, security, and family seems like more than a fair trade.
Well yeah, there are different levels of this. Some people do get obsessive. I thought we were talking about some backpacking for trout.

flybill

Life of the Party
I've been laid off and changed careers more than a few times! It's worked for the most part and I've had a lot of fun! Two of the year long times I had off, and had money I fished a ton! About 150 days one year and 200 the next time! No regrets, I've never actually regretted my time fishing or doing outdoors stuff! My last big trip was 16 days in Montana, 13 rivers and one lake! There are pictures on the old site.. Would I do it again, hell ya! Will I do it again, for sure, maybe not as long and I do want to do some bluewater trips in the near future! This year, in a week I'll be in Kentucky doing the bourban trail and visiting friends. I might be able to fit a little fishing in.. haven't decided for sure, but will take a rod, reel and a few small fly boxes with me!

If you want to do it, you can.. but yes, it's easier when you're younger! Carpe diem!! Fish on!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I agree with Rob.

I won't hike into the long distance alpine lakes anymore. Its too much effort, and i have already been to those lakes, so the ROI isn't high when you are older and the places you visit are repeats. Now I stick with alpine lakes under 5 mile hikes.

On the slopes i don't hit black diamonds anymore without stopping and scoping my line. Years ago...... launch off the lips and ripped it.

I still hike into upper watersheds and float the water using a one man raft.
Something about overnighters on rivers is always going to keep me coming back.

Live while ya can, this ain't no dress rehearsal.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
What a bunch of pussies. I was out exploring Skinny water until a few years ago. I still go looking. I'm 87 and soon to be rolling over another year in a month. My walking now sucks but I'm willing to get out. Right now I don't go out because I have trouble standing up right. So I just drive to some and have a look see to try to see a way down that wont kill me. Plus it's still winter here in Montana. At my advanced age, I need the sun warm on my back before I venture out. And stay out.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
In short, my advise is DO IT!

Right now I am looking at Google maps. Looking at the blue lines between the North Fork Clearwater on highway 12.
I look at it the blue lines and say to myself "that looks cool I wanna do that" then I switch to Terrain view and think " Hell no" At the moment I am looking at a spot called " Indian Post office" along the Nez Perce Trail and there are two little ponds just down the hill not to far from the road, Terrain view straight down 700 feet. I bet there are a bunch of dumb cutthroat down in those ponds.

Maybe a through hike upstream from the Cayuse air strip up to the forest road 581? again nope I'd die climbing out.

Hell even the 4 hours of gravel roads don't sound fun anymore..
I really wish i could do those kinds of things now a days.. Only 52 but I know my limits.. So to the young guys.. If you have hairbrained ideas that look good to you, you don't need anyone's permission or approval.... GO do them!! Please! you'll regret it if you don't...
Losing interest and not capable are two TOTALLY different things. If you are seriously messed up physically, then ok. That said, "physically messed" up can also be a matter of drive. I have seen people do some amazing things simply based on "want to".

If it's just not interesting anymore, ok. I quit hunting waterfowl and upland birds in my 30's. Both of those things are a lot of work, but I didn't quit them because they were hard...they just didn't fire me up anymore.

If you are still interested and not seriously messed up...52 is NOWHERE NEAR the age of surrender! A sure-fire way to get old is to stop testing yourself.

Your advice is solid for both young and not young. If you want to do something difficult you should do it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
By all means go for a 20 mile backpack trip with a 3000 foot climb out and a 20 mile back to your truck..

SIGN. ME. UP. ~30 miles, but more than 3K vertical. Last fall.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't disagree with Rob, but my advice is a little more expansive. To people of all ages: do it until you can't. I'm in the middle of planning another off trail backpacking trip into the Grand Staircase Escalante wilderness again this spring. I was so touched by my experience last year, I decided that if I ever wanted to do it again, sooner is better, and more probable, than later. At 74 I can still do this stuff. At 84, who knows? At some point I'll age out of doing these fun things.

And Rob, 700 vertical feet into and out isn't that big a deal, so long as it doesn't include any 150' rappels over the cliffs of insanity.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I don't disagree with Rob, but my advice is a little more expansive. To people of all ages: do it until you can't. I'm in the middle of planning another off trail backpacking trip into the Grand Staircase Escalante wilderness again this spring. I was so touched by my experience last year, I decided that if I ever wanted to do it again, sooner is better, and more probable, than later. At 74 I can still do this stuff. At 84, who knows? At some point I'll age out of doing these fun things.

And Rob, 700 vertical feet into and out isn't that big a deal, so long as it doesn't include any 150' rappels over the cliffs of insanity.
It's straight dowm.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Man, I am quite happy to be 48 and still able to do what I want.
Started hunting 4 years ago. I have pushed myself far harder than I would have thought that I could have. 700' vertical climb? I know that I can do it. I would not do it to fish cutthroat in a pond though.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party

At 74 you are still out there GETTING AFTER IT! That's inspiring to a guy like me that's soon to be 48 with some fake parts already:). I'm in the planning phase of a bear hunt into the Frank Church this spring. The fact that I get butterflies thinking about it is what gets me up to train in the morning before work.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I get out and fish as much as possible which is currently a lot less than in the past. I dread the day that I can no longer hike off trail and explore the streams and forests of the world on foot. I am forever grateful for all the giant fish I have caught and honestly can say that I have become a better angler than I ever thought possible.

The funny thing is that most people who know me would call me something like a 9/10 on the fishing scale but I know real 9/10 and 10/10s and I am not that. I’m a 6/10 IMO and I even have a divorce mostly caused by fishing. I can fish two or three days hard in a row and am ready for something else for a little while. I am not as hardcore as many anglers out there so maybe I will age with grace on the stream.