Advice for next travel trip

BFC

Smolt
Here is something a little different than the usual Christmas IS, Belize, Mexico etc...
How about Pyramid Lake near Reno, going after giant Lahontan cutthroats.

Kado

Steelhead
Here is something a little different than the usual Christmas IS, Belize, Mexico etc...
How about Pyramid Lake near Reno, going after giant Lahontan cutthroats.
Interesting idea. Sandhole beach? Maybe golf and gambling too.....

Itchy Dog

Steelhead
I've learned from my trip first couple of 'travel' trips (one to ID/MT and the other to Hol Box), that I can feel satisfied with a minimum of four days of fishing and feel like I 'got away'.
Sooooo....time is usually my biggest constraint. I'm figuring one day of travel each way with four days (at least) of fishing. I can be very happy in a tent but also happy with a lodge experience as long as I get what I pay for, but the fishing and the environment is the most important to me. Christmas Island is still a bucket list thing but the travel is too unpredictable for me to consider. If I take time off from work and family....I want to be pretty certain the trip is a go. I was impressed with Mexico.
Thanks for ideas. Right now thinking of MT, ID, Ascension Bay and even a pack mule trip.
Thanks for any input.
Mark
Once travel stabilizes, put Kiritimati at the top of your list. Went there 3 years ago and it was the experience of a lifetime. The locals on the island have really suffered economically due to the Covid lockdown which has kept foreign anglers out. I know they’re really glad to welcome us back. It’s really a special place, made so not only due to the awe-inspiring scenery and fishing, but the local people.

A truly special and unique trip closer to home is a trip to the St. Joe Lodge in Idaho. I’ve been several times and it’s a super cool place. Get it before owners Will and Barbara Judge decide to retire one of these years. Since I first went the Joe has gotten more popular, but when you stay at the Lodge you’re 5 miles upriver of the trailhead so you can have a lot of water without a lot of competition. Hike upstream from the lodge and you may not see another 2 legged critter all day. If you like secluded backcountry fishing and don’t mind putting in some miles on foot each day, this place is for you (that said, you needn’t hike far from the lodge to find good fishing). If you like amazing home cooked meals and great fishing for west slope cutts, many miles off the grid, this place has all that.

Kado

Steelhead
Once travel stabilizes, put Kiritimati at the top of your list. Went there 3 years ago and it was the experience of a lifetime. The locals on the island have really suffered economically due to the Covid lockdown which has kept foreign anglers out. I know they’re really glad to welcome us back. It’s really a special place, made so not only due to the awe-inspiring scenery and fishing, but the local people.

A truly special and unique trip closer to home is a trip to the St. Joe Lodge in Idaho. I’ve been several times and it’s a super cool place. Get it before owners Will and Barbara Judge decide to retire one of these years. Since I first went the Joe has gotten more popular, but when you stay at the Lodge you’re 5 miles upriver of the trailhead so you can have a lot of water without a lot of competition. Hike upstream from the lodge and you may not see another 2 legged critter all day. If you like secluded backcountry fishing and don’t mind putting in some miles on foot each day, this place is for you (that said, you needn’t hike far from the lodge to find good fishing). If you like amazing home cooked meals and great fishing for west slope cutts, many miles off the grid, this place has all that.
What a great idea!
Thanks everyone, for all the varied and terrific destinations. I never would have thought of most of them.
Please don't be shy about sharing more. My wife and adult children are even interested in a couple of them.
Mark

I’ve had and Idaho trout trip on my mind lately but can’t figure out why. Just seems like it’d be a fishy state…

Need to do more research for an extended road trip from OR.
May want to research the Lochsa River and Selway River. Decent campgrounds and ruggedly beautiful places.

scottcbarker

Just Hatched
You should check out The Trout Hunter in Island Park ID. Lodge is on the famous Henry’s Fork. Guides are great food and lodge service good and the vibe is trout Fishing. You can wade fish The Ranch if you don’t want a guide. Have been there 20 years. If MT check out the Missouri River Lodge in Craig MT. Great place to stay and they provide food, drink, and guides.