Accidentally became a boat guy...

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This summer, I was gifted a relative's costco wilderness inflatable pontoon when he upgraded. I've been a member of the bank-bound proletariat, but the price was "free" so I couldn't say no. I've taken it on a local lake a couple of times to get used to it, but I'm not a lake guy (yet). Using it to cover more water in summer and fall is the main reason why I took it. Specs say "class I" rated. I'm guessing that's not much. Are these capable of floating on low water summer/fall rivers like the Cowlitz and the PDX rivers? I'm a pretty risk-averse person (I wouldn't even think about trying this in winter), and I'm not above lining the boat and staying on the bank. Is it capable of something like blue creek to mission right now?

Zak

Legend
This summer, I was gifted a relative's costco wilderness inflatable pontoon when he upgraded. I've been a member of the bank-bound proletariat, but the price was "free" so I couldn't say no. I've taken it on a local lake a couple of times to get used to it, but I'm not a lake guy (yet). Using it to cover more water in summer and fall is the main reason why I took it. Specs say "class I" rated. I'm guessing that's not much. Are these capable of floating on low water summer/fall rivers like the Cowlitz and the PDX rivers? I'm a pretty risk-averse person (I wouldn't even think about trying this in winter), and I'm not above lining the boat and staying on the bank. Is it capable of something like blue creek to mission right now?
Wear a pfd!

RCF

Life of the Party
Take a test float or two without gear to understand how to maneuver. That boat has short oars and are not meant to be pulled hard. Learn what it does and does not do.

Have fun!

Edited to add: learn to plan ahead to keep out of trouble.

Last edited:

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Take a test float or two without gear to understand how to maneuver. That boat has short oars and are not meant to be pulled hard. Learn what it does and does not do.

Have fun!

Edited to add: learn to plan ahead to keep out of trouble.
Would it be a good idea to get better/longer oars?

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Absolutely

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
My suggestion would be to float with someone who has done the float in the kind of boat you are using and watch what lines they use when traversing the river and what to do when there are transitions and different than just flat water. You'll be fine. Keep cautious and safe

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Congrats on the boat and as others said, get a pfd. If I remember correctly, that boat has a welded frame. Occasionally just check the frame to make sure all the welds are secure.
Have fun in your new craft.
SF

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You could do Blue Creek to Mission/Massey Bar on the Cow no problem.

As a floating newbie, the most important thing is to always look where you're going. Sounds simple, but you would be surprised. And where are you going? Downstream!
Always face downstream and the best way to avoid rocks, snags, etc is to look right at them and row away from them. Again, sounds simple, but people often tend to look where they want to go instead of where they SHOULD go. Or should NOT go. :)

Big lazy rivers are easy, but can lull you to sleep. Stay alert and it should be a piece of cake on that section. Welcome to the floatilla!

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This has been my first year rowing rivers. I'm in a raft. Not pontoon.
My first trip, I followed a friend who had experience.
Second trip did the same river alone.
Then started to branch out.

Fishing while rowing is hard and can be silly. I generally row to a nice spot and anchor. Fish. Then row on.
Easy to not pay attention to water If fishing.

Anchoring is a dangerous deal sometimes. Do your research on that.
Do you anchor pontoons? No idea. If you do, then research lol.

If water is moving semi fast around a curve, stick to inside of the curve. It will want to pull you to outside, with everything else. Such as logs and other debri. Keep to inside