A couple Phillipsons chasing bulls

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice to get out and put the 9' Phillipsons to work chasing bulls. Dave's is the Phillipson Pacemaker, mine is the Powr Pakt (Bill Phillipson had run out of "e"s in his vowels inventory when he named mine). The first photo shows the infamous Phillipson resorcinol glue lines, considered tough as nails yet an abomimation to many classic bamboo rod fans. Those who enjoy flogging a PNW stream with long double-hauls and sink tips appreciate that purple glue knowing it won't come apart when doing its work.

Slow day for me on the stream but got to see Dave catch a few fish while I caught a few photos. Beautiful place we live in, isn't it?

[url=https://postimg.cc/q6K0rysJ] [/URL]

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I agree, some good photos there . What is that fly pattern ? Looks like a reduced Silver Doctor variant of which there are many.
I like the resorcinol glue lines as long as they are reasonably consistent in width along their length.
Tim, that fly is the Carrie Stevens Supervisor, sans peacock eyes. The bulls had shown an interest in Dave's Supervisor flies the last time I got out there so I had tied up a few last year. Dave's ties are far better than mine, by the way. He's one of the best tiers I've seen around.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Tim, that fly is the Carrie Stevens Supervisor, sans peacock eyes. The bulls had shown an interest in Dave's Supervisor flies the last time I got out there so I had tied up a few last year. Dave's ties are far better than mine, by the way. He's one of the best tiers I've seen around.
I’ll vouch for that, and he ties all traditional flies… that catch fish!

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Can look it up, but if you have a recipe handy, I would appreciate it!
Just don't forget the peacock overlay like I did! The jungle cock eyes (at least the real ones) cost an arm and a leg so I just hope the fish don't care if that piece is missing.

flybill

Life of the Party
Just don't forget the peacock overlay like I did! The jungle cock eyes (at least the real ones) cost an arm and a leg so I just hope the fish don't care if that piece is missing.
I've got a grade B or C cape of jungle cock, so I'm good.. there really is no substitute for JC! I'll look it up and make sure not to forget the peacock overlay...

flybill

Life of the Party
Tied by: Don Bastian , Harri Lehtonen
Originated by: Joseph S. Stickney
Sources: How to Tie Flies - E.C. Gregg Pg. 45
Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Joseph D. Bates Pg. 345-346

Hook: #1 8xl Gaelic Supreme Mike Martinek Rangeley Steamer
Thread: Black
Tail: Red wool
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Ribbing: Oval silver tinsel (optional)
Throat: White hackle fibers (optional)
Underwing: A small bunch of white bucktail
Wing: 4 light blue hackles
Shoulder: Light green hackles 2/3 the length of the wing
Topping: Peacock herl 6-7
Eye: Jungle cock nail
Head: Black

Screenshot 2023-11-23 132529.png

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Another voucher here. I haven’t been able to get my versions of those patterns to look, or importantly, move the way Dave’s
One of the keys to getting the wings to sit right is to glue the two left wing hackles together and to glue the two right wing hackled together and then to glue the jungle cock to each wing before mounting. Here are some completed grey ghost glued wings before mountingIMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0840.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

flybill

Life of the Party
Tied by: Don Bastian , Harri Lehtonen
Originated by: Joseph S. Stickney
Sources: How to Tie Flies - E.C. Gregg Pg. 45
Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Joseph D. Bates Pg. 345-346