A 2022 Shadding Shakedown

@WhosYourShaddy and I decided to take a field trip to our super secret local ditch (you've probably never heard of it) after work Friday to see what the shads were up to.

On the freeway about half-way to our destination, I realized I forgot to pull my soft top down on the boat. I am not at all in the habit since I have just been pulling it to the launch a few miles away with a speed limit of 35. So now I get to go find someone to repair that for me. The crossbar that supports the middle of the canvas had its stitchings ripped out, so it was just hanging loose there right where my head is supposed to be while driving the boat.
1654367532035.png

Wouldn't have been a huge deal, but a barge passed through on its way up stream just before we got there, and the river was an absolute washing machine mess. So my head got a few healthy whacks while I got to get a feel for how the boat handles rough conditions (good info to have prior to getting it out to the ocean).

I started the day off wanting to test drive my GoFishCam.
1654369479641.png
Super cool device, I just need to figure out a way to send it down in the current like this that's more stable. I tried using a Luhr Jensen Diver, but it swam side to side too much. I also kept unknowingly setting it on the bottom, which did admittedly give some cool shots of swim-by surprises.

Things started off a little quiet, but we eventually got the party going at a good clip.
1654369655158.png

I actually forgot my phone in the truck, so @WhosYourShaddy got us a few shots of the happenings.
1654369713451.png

This was common:
1654369741423.png

So many doubles.
1654369773461.png

Just before dark, we headed back in on a much smoother river. Hell of a first trip for the year. I'll likely only take a couple as out of town friends come to have a good time. Once July hits, I get laser-focused on saltwater with some local carping mixed in.
1654369931678.png
1654369855770.png

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
nice! Bad Ass glass, one might say....

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Wait until he uses it for steelhead .....
It's caught pink salmon. I think that's as far as she's going to go.

Though some folks in my area down here have a popular Youtube video of them catching a sturgeon on one. Don't think I can stoop my ethics low enough to do that. Though they admittedly did get it in faster than I'd expect. Thankfully it wasn't a large one.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
There used to be an annual Snoopy Rod event on the Bogachiel during hatchery steelhead season. Probably still a bunch of pics on Piscatorial Pursuits.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
There used to be an annual Snoopy Rod event on the Bogachiel during hatchery steelhead season. Probably still a bunch of pics on Piscatorial Pursuits.

One of those notorious guys from PP has a youtube video of landing Chums on a barbie pole, not during the SRC though!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
It's caught pink salmon. I think that's as far as she's going to go.

Though some folks in my area down here have a popular Youtube video of them catching a sturgeon on one. Don't think I can stoop my ethics low enough to do that. Though they admittedly did get it in faster than I'd expect. Thankfully it wasn't a large one.
Sure, I get it. Have seen several older YouTube video of guys using a pink jig on a Barbie r ro rod .

NWKA used to have a side tournament during their annual members gathering which allowed braid and very slight mods to the drag such as upgraded washer stacks.

Using one for sturgeon , sorry I don't think that should be ethical .

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Sure, I get it. Have seen several older YouTube video of guys using a pink jig on a Barbie r ro rod .

NWKA used to have a side tournament during their annual members gathering which allowed braid and very slight mods to the drag such as upgraded washer stacks.

Using one for sturgeon , sorry I don't think that should be ethical .
Yeah my barbie pole is loaded with 20lb power pro. Doesn't exactly get a lot on there though.

longputt

Steelhead
Had a lot of chaos at work through the shad run but did get out a few times.

1657633724007.png

In one run every bad cast swung into softer water and led to one of these:

1657633786620.png

Many years ago I was told that one sex of the shad run first and you could predict the end of the run by the ratio of smaller males and larger roe shad. Is there any truth to that?