Wanted 7wt Streamer Rod

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Looking for a newer 7wt rod (prefer 9 or 9’6”) for throwing streamers. Preference is for fast modern models in the mid to high end range but will consider medium fast and lower end models too. Here is a list of a few models I’d be interested in (not all inclusive). If you have something you think I might like hit me up. Looking for a fair price on a new or used rod up to about $500 for the right one.

Sage X, Salt, Method, Xi3
Scott Meridian
Orvis Helios, Recon
Loomis NRX, IMX Pro
Echo 3S, Prime Blue, Streamer X, EPR
St Croix Bank Robber
Remington Predator

Last edited:

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter
Save some bucks & find a lightly used Redington CPX, everybody hates them so there dirt cheap. The 697 will throw a 7 weight streamer line and was a surprising treat to use swinging streamers on the Yakama last fall

c/22

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Give a TFO Axiom II-X a try. A quality fast rod at a great price (under $400) if you can find one. Great inshore rod.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Honestly, you can't beat a G Loomis IMX-Pro 790. New (with warranty) will set you back $550 and if you get it from gorge fly shop You can get yourself a free Airflo Streamer Max Short and call it a day.
Yeah that's probably my top choice if I buy new. Didn't know they threw in a line, I'll check that out.

Save some bucks & find a lightly used Redington CPX, everybody hates them so there dirt cheap. The 697 will throw a 7 weight streamer line and was a surprising treat to use swinging streamers on the Yakama last fall

c/22
ha! That's one way to pick one. I'm willing to pay for a rod I actually like though. That said, I have a 797 Redington CPS that is just so so for me and everyone raved about them, so maybe I'd like the CPX better. But if I'm getting a cheap used rod I'd rather it be a more current model. I have plenty of 6wts, looking for a 7wt.

Give a TFO Axiom II-X a try. A quality fast rod at a great price (under $400) if you can find one. Great inshore rod.
Heard decent things, but I'm more likely to go Echo in that price range.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I've never cast an IMX-Pro in lighter weights, but if the 7wt is anywhere in the same zip code as the 11wt musky stick, it's a winner!

Itchy Dog

Steelhead
As you likely know, Sage is discontinuing the X so prices on a new rod are 25% off the original MSRP (still a chunk of coin). I have an X 890-4 that I bought for bonefish and can say that it performed splendidly, casting weighted flies in the wind. I would expect a 7 weight to be similar if you can find one in your price range. That said I am a big fan of the Z-Axis and the X is reminiscent of the Z-Axis, so perhaps broaden your search for a 7 weight Z as well. I have one and it chucks big bugs very nicely. Just a thought.

Divad

Whitefish
As you likely know, Sage is discontinuing the X so prices on a new rod are 25% off the original MSRP (still a chunk of coin). I have an X 890-4 that I bought for bonefish and can say that it performed splendidly, casting weighted flies in the wind. I would expect a 7 weight to be similar if you can find one in your price range. That said I am a big fan of the Z-Axis and the X is reminiscent of the Z-Axis, so perhaps broaden your search for a 7 weight Z as well. I have one and it chucks big bugs very nicely. Just a thought.
If you go that route I’d ask Sage if they have any extra tips lurking about. As much as we all think it won’t happen, or else you’ll be out some time and money if it happens.

+1 on GLoomies and from Gorge is very helpful with the free line deal they offer (I think up to $50?).

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you go that route I’d ask Sage if they have any extra tips lurking about. As much as we all think it won’t happen, or else you’ll be out some time and money if it happens.

+1 on GLoomies and from Gorge is very helpful with the free line deal they offer (I think up to $50?).
It’s a $100 line! So you can get a streamer max for free

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Another to potentially consider is a Sage Maverick. To me it feels like a Sage One in Maverick clothing. It’s mid range ($650 is mid range these days :)). I really like my 9’6” 6 weight. A used Sage Ignitor would also be one to consider.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I have a 9' 7wt Echo 3S I'd be willing to part with.

With so many rods in the current quiver, I just don't use it that much.