Wanted 6wt rod for streamer fishing in Montana - resolved

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
My BIL is looking for a gently-used 6wt. that he can use to throw big streamers at Montana browns in the fall. If you have one that is collecting dust in your rod rack, let me know what condition it is in and what it would take to pry it from your grasp.
Thank you,
Steve

Sageguy

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I have a G Loomis GLX High Speed Line 6100-4 in near new condition if you are interested. Rod in BC 604-798-3040

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I have a G Loomis GLX High Speed Line 6100-4 in near new condition if you are interested. Rod in BC 604-798-3040
Thank you. I will past this information to him. What would you be asking for it?
Steve

Divad

Whitefish
6wt: sure, get the right line
7wt: yup
8wt for MT browns: gun to knife fight

We used 7s for chucking big meaty flys for browns and bulls. 6 will throw big stuff if you line it correctly or cast medium streamers no problem.

Two cents.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No dog in the fight, but if streamers are the focus a light 7 makes it fun. A stout 6 will do it but I find it’s more work as size or weight goes up. First time I threw a medium Clouser on a 7 was my wake up call. It just follows the line like a well trained puppy.
“But wait, there’s more…” I’d recommend to anyone to find a lively 7wt Fiberglass rod for the stable. Fine for medium dries through moderately heavy streamers, easy on tippets and even modest fish get to show off.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
If the budget is $300 or can stretch to it, the Echo Eight Four 7wt is very much worth trying.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Spent a week swinging burly egg sucking leeches for migrating Hegben Lake Browns on the Madison with a 6 wt...by the end of the week I had wished it was a 7 wt.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Heavily weighted streamers, floating line and long leaders — 6 or 7 —but tiring, especially in windy conditions
Unweighted streamers, long sink tips and short level leaders - 5 - not tiring and more effective for distance and accuracy

You don’t need a 6 or 7 to handle big fish, you need it to cast unwieldy, heavy flies
A five weight will and has (see below) handled a lot of big Montana trout with unweighted flies.

My two go to 5 weight rods for SW Montana streamer fishing are:
T&T NSII with a 200grain SONAR sink tip and Sage XP 905-2 with a 150grain SONAR sink tip.
IMG_0037.jpeg
27”+ Brown on XP with unweighted #10 bugger
IMG_0098.jpeg
Lower Beaverhead brown on T&T NSII 5 weight with #4 Pine Squirrel bugger
IMG_0261.jpeg
21”+ Brown from Gibbon Meadows - T&T NSII 5 weight and soft hackle streamer

YOU Don’t need big rods to handle big fish. IMHO

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Heavily weighted streamers, floating line and long leaders — 6 or 7 —but tiring, especially in windy conditions
Unweighted streamers, long sink tips and short level leaders - 5 - not tiring and more effective for distance and accuracy

You don’t need a 6 or 7 to handle big fish, you need it to cast unwieldy, heavy flies
A five weight will and has (see below) handled a lot of big Montana trout with unweighted flies.

T&T NSII with a 200grain SONAR sink tip and Sage XP 905-2 with a 150grain SONAR sink tip.
View attachment 101609
View attachment 101610
View attachment 101611

Very seldom fish anything more than a 5 weight in Montana , occasionally a 6 weight XP , although I don't streamer fish . Just the big bugs when the stone flies are on .

Divad

Whitefish

View attachment 101609
View attachment 101610
View attachment 101611

Did you eat the brown in the second photo?

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Can you even keep them out of the Beaverhead ?
Not now but a few years back Yes. This was the lower section just upstream from Twin Bridges, not the heavily fished upper section below Clarks reservoir that everyone associates with the Beaverhead.