6 wt trout Spey?

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
I am new to Spey casting and have a question. I have a 6 wt switch rod with a scandi line. Is this too big for trout Spey tactics likely fishing streamers?

G_Smolt

Legend
It all depends on the size of your trout, the water you are fishing, the size of fly you will be throwing, and the gear you have at your disposal. I like a 6130 for big water trout swingin' where the fish might be 22"-26", because I already have that rod. A 6wt switch is capable of handling larger fish, and will probably bend when you hook a small one as well.

There's "perfect-world" setups, and there's "run what you brung" setups. Were I you, I'd fish yer current setup until I got a bit of experience and figured out if I need something different.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
It also depends on the scale that the rod manufacturer is using to rate the rod as a "6", are they using "spey" versus "single hand". The two scales are roughly "2" units of measure staggered apart. i.e. a 6 weight on the spey scale would ostensibly translate across to an 8 on the traditional single hand scale. There's a lot more nuance to it of course, because different types of casts utilize the actual weight of the line differently.

It generally only gets confusing with switch rods and trout speys because depending on the manufacturer they may have used either scale when designating the rod. For example I have a 6 wt Batson Rainshadow switch rod that uses the single hand designation, spey casts about a 300 grain line and would be perfect for trout. But on the spey scale this would probably be considered a 4 weight.

I also have a 6 weight spey rod, (rated on the spey scale as would be expected) which casts well with a 450 grain line and would be a bit much for small trout.

But like @G_Smolt says start with what you got. Small fish are still fun on a bigger rod, and the bigger stick will handle larger streamers better.

Have fun!

andy

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I am new to Spey casting and have a question. I have a 6 wt switch rod with a scandi line. Is this too big for trout Spey tactics likely fishing streamers?

Nope that's fine especially if there are steelhead in the water too and larger trout. If you got 12" dinks fish somewhere else. I'll use my 5wt. singlehand spey or a beulah 6wt. platinum switch a pretty light 6wt. slower progressive action rod. A fast 6wt. switch scandi rod might be pushing it in the heavy department but certainly you can fish a 9wt. and it will catch fish. Also, think about what you are casting. A generic 6wt. switch in in the 300-350grain neighborhood. A 2wt. trout spey is 200-250grains. Mass moves mass so what you cast is a factor.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good lord. No sir it is not too big. I think one would be fun swinging up sea run cuties on the cowlitz

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
30+ years ago the Sage 7136 with a Cortland 444 DT 8 cut for tips was my "Trout Spey". I caught a lot of fall run browns on that outfit as well as a good number of Henry's Fork rainbows. Although I have 3s, 4s, and 5s, I will still grab my 6139 or 6128 burkheimers when fishing good size streamers for trout.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I bought a 3-wt trout spey and was told that it was equivalent to a 6-wt in a single hand rod. I really enjoy it, and found that it worked really well as a single handed rod using a standard 6 WF line, giving credence to the equivalency. (It seems absurd to label it one thing, and claim it to be equivalent to something quite different.)

I'd suggest talking to the folks who sold it to you and ask them.