6 weight floating “daily driver” lines - tuning a Scott Centric

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Seeking some input from folks who have experience using lots of different 6 weight floating general purpose lines, with bonus points if you have used them with a Scott Centric. What floating line do you like that is not in the “uplined” MPX/Rio Grand zone?

Context: seeking a new floating line for my 6wt Centric. My rough specs are a “goldilocks” daily line with a medium+ length head; not too far above the typical grain weight we would expect for a “typical” 6 weight line these days, but with a bit more ooomph than a technical WF.

I have been mostly using an old GPX line as my daily driver for the rod. I love the rod and it fishes fine with the GPX, but could see loving it even more mated with a sliiiightly different line. Since I need to pick up a new line soon anyway it felt like a good time to solicit feedback.

Wondering whether the SA Infinity Taper is a possible good option: how does it differ from the older GPX lines? Is the Rio Elite Gold, or some other line, something to consider? In the past 10 + years I have been almost exclusively using SA or Rio lines but am open to alternatives.

Thanks for your .02.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
SA amplitude smooth infinity taper.

I have both that and the MPX for my 905 centric and the infinity is my favorite casting fly line. I prefer the MPX for throwing bigger dry flies like chubbies or hoppers from the drift boat but the infinity is just a casting machine. Really really love that line.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
To answer your question about what makes the infinity different…. The longer rear taper that keeps it stable with more fly line outside the rod tip. Gold and MPX are a shorter more aggressive taper that are great for quick shots from a drift boat. The infinity still has guts, it’s not at all a finesse technical taper, more all around IMO and really shines with a little more line in the air. I really love casting it, super smooth, it mends and fishes great. I have several of those lines on different sticks.

The old GPX wasn’t much different then MPX, maybe a little less aggressive if memory serves me correct but I haven’t cast that line in over a decade.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
To answer your question about what makes the infinity different…. The longer rear taper that keeps it stable with more fly line outside the rod tip. Gold and MPX are a shorter more aggressive taper that are great for quick shots from a drift boat. The infinity still has guts, it’s not at all a finesse technical taper, more all around IMO and really shines with a little more line in the air. I really love casting it, super smooth, it mends and fishes great. I have several of those lines on different sticks.

The old GPX wasn’t much different then MPX, maybe a little less aggressive if memory serves me correct but I haven’t cast that line in over a decade.
This. I have the infinity on my 905 radian and it’s so much better than the gpx (I had that prior).

I have the MPX on my 906 Centric and it works for how I fish it (mostly smallish poppers for smallish bass and small weighted streamers if I’m too lazy to switch spools). If I was looking for a more universal do it all line I’d be getting the Infinity.

I’d imagine the true to weight SA Trout might struggle with the Centric but I’ve never tried

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fish the cheap 34.99 SA Mastery GPX from Sierra . I have for several years on three different 6 weight , as well as 5 weight rods , both medium fast , and fast rods . Sage , Winston , Echo . I throw small dries , as well large stone flies . IMO it lays those small dries out as well as you could ask, and handles the big bugs as well .

I’m done buying $80 plus fly lines . I’m either a great caster with any fly line , or I don’t know how to cast well enough to know the difference, either way I don’t care . ;) Anyway that GPX works for me .

Last edited: