36" Brown

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
That one was caught “sight nymphing” on its spawning bed. Not the same.

I know that is CA but In my short but very enjoyable time living and fishing in CO, I witnessed that a number of times. I’ll be honest, it was sometimes tough not to cast to 25+ inch fish on beds but you just shouldn’t do it.

Tallguy

Steelhead
Now there is a complete tool.
If you are only referring to jumping in the water, I sort of disagree. I pray for fish exciting enough to get me to jump in the water after them. I couldn't completely rule out myself jumping into the water after a special enough fish. It's entirely possible I am a tool too though.

And before we go too far down the "it was on a spawning bed" path, I put that down as a maybe. It's a reasonable assumption, possible for sure, maybe even likely, but also not completely certain without first hand knowledge that it's bed was there. That fish definitely ran into the river to spawn, it was definitely caught sight nymphing in an area it was interested in spawning near. I have walked that creek many times in that season, and some are digging and on beds for sure, others are hanging and waiting for the right fish, or waiting to fully ripen and not yet spawning, not yet ready to go. Small kokanee are in there spawning first, some of those browns come in early to eat kokanee. Many others just aren't spawning at all, beds show up in that river at all sorts of odd timings. Can you fish at all in the fall for browns at all? Hard question without the obvious sighted bed to keep you walking.

Well...to be fair, the one depicted here was caught on a river in Colorado (hint: think color) floating through a section owned by a Wall Street hedge fund billionaire that stocks and feeds the fish on a section of artificially enhanced river. The location in the video is literally adjacent to the most developed section of the property. It's admittedly fun to fish, but you have to approach it as "manufactured". I'd be willing to bet the video states none of these facts.

justahack

Just Hatched
Well...to be fair, the one depicted here was caught on a river in Colorado (hint: think color) floating through a section owned by a Wall Street hedge fund billionaire that stocks and feeds the fish on a section of artificially enhanced river. The location in the video is literally adjacent to the most developed section of the property. It's admittedly fun to fish, but you have to approach it as "manufactured". I'd be willing to bet the video states none of these facts.
Right. That’s a pellet head. Can’t set foot on the riverbed there, private. Also not 36”, maybe 30”.

Tallguy

Steelhead
All sorts of local knowledge and slander coming out now!! Maybe that's what that guide had to "process" that night.

I have no idea if it was 36", but it was solidly into the 30s for sure IMO. That was a tank with some length.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Right. That’s a pellet head. Can’t set foot on the riverbed there, private. Also not 36”, maybe 30”.

That fish is well over 30", I've handled over a dozen steelhead in that 34"-36" rang and that fish is right in there!

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Anyone who puts encounters of that ilk up on social media when they are in the business of generating clicks or selling guides trips definitely falls into the category of "complete tool."

All sorts of local knowledge and slander coming out now!! Maybe that's what that guide had to "process" that night.

I have no idea if it was 36", but it was solidly into the 30s for sure IMO. That was a tank with some length.
I've never had any problems with folks fishing there...it actually can be fun if you have the right mindset and realize what it is you're doing. What I have a problem with is people posting up the videos for views and internet glory and not stating the facts behind what is depicted.

justahack

Just Hatched

Here's why he's "processing":

He bags on dudes who do exactly what he's doing.
That fish is well over 30", I've handled over a dozen steelhead in that 34"-36" rang and that fish is right in there!
Sorry man, not getting to 36. 30-32, ok, but not 36. Check the fingers.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone who puts encounters of that ilk up on social media when they are in the business of generating clicks or selling guides trips definitely falls into the category of "complete tool."
The commercial at the beginning said it all. Bet he didn't post it to teh Suk....

Divad

Whitefish
I’m confused I wasn’t saying they are the same…? Just immediately thought of that video when I read the title and compared the size that was in question of Huge’s.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
If you are only referring to jumping in the water, I sort of disagree. I pray for fish exciting enough to get me to jump in the water after them. I couldn't completely rule out myself jumping into the water after a special enough fish. It's entirely possible I am a tool too though.

And before we go too far down the "it was on a spawning bed" path, I put that down as a maybe. It's a reasonable assumption, possible for sure, maybe even likely, but also not completely certain without first hand knowledge that it's bed was there. That fish definitely ran into the river to spawn, it was definitely caught sight nymphing in an area it was interested in spawning near. I have walked that creek many times in that season, and some are digging and on beds for sure, others are hanging and waiting for the right fish, or waiting to fully ripen and not yet spawning, not yet ready to go. Small kokanee are in there spawning first, some of those browns come in early to eat kokanee. Many others just aren't spawning at all, beds show up in that river at all sorts of odd timings. Can you fish at all in the fall for browns at all? Hard question without the obvious sighted bed to keep you walking.

I agree you cannot say for sure from the video that the fish was spawning. That said, in 3-4 years I had the opportunity to heavily target lake run browns and rainbows, I would not have cast to that fish, in that water, during spawning season. If I had that opportunity as a teenager or even in my twenties, I cannot say for sure that I wouldn’t have though. I personally would only fish deep pools and bends but I was definitely more conservative than some. The water in the video was borderline IMO. To each his own. Those big lake fish just seemed super vulnerable and nervous when up in shallow water like that, especially in heavily targeted areas which is the majority of what I used to fish. Maybe that is not the case with the river in the video. It was tough though. Walking by trout as big as steelhead to fish a deep pool that may or may not hold fish was often very difficult!

I am 100% with you on diving into the water for a fish like that though. I’ve dunked myself in the water after losing a good fish. I’d definitely do it to land one..ha.

justahack

Just Hatched
If you’re still not convinced, check the fish at 10:20 in the same video and roll forward from there. He calls that one as better than 25” at 11:20. Not a big deal, all good fish and seemed like a fun day with good friends. Just they are fishing in private water, created habitat where the fish are fed pellets from bubble gum machines on the banks and stretching the lengths by about 6” on each fish because that place is known for pellet-fed dinosaurs. Would be fine if they kept it to themselves. But to slap it on YT with product adverts…

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m confused I wasn’t saying they are the same…? Just immediately thought of that video when I read the title and compared the size that was in question of Huge’s.

My comment wasn't aimed at you.

That Truckee fish was basically snagged off its red in 2' of water. That is a bit different than a streamer fish.

Paige

If you’re still not convinced, check the fish at 10:20 in the same video and roll forward from there. He calls that one as better than 25” at 11:20. Not a big deal, all good fish and seemed like a fun day with good friends. Just they are fishing in private water, created habitat where the fish are fed pellets from bubble gum machines on the banks and stretching the lengths by about 6” on each fish because that place is known for pellet-fed dinosaurs. Would be fine if they kept it to themselves. But to slap it on YT with product adverts…

Sorry mate, you wont convince me, there was a cut in the video and I would gues they took some measurements and a bunch of pictures!
That fish is all in there, and I dont care if it is a pellet fed fish, privet land or not.

If there wasn't YT, none of you would have anything to hate!

But I'm sure you all would find something 😁

Paige

My comment wasn't aimed at you.

That Truckee fish was basically snagged off its red in 2' of water. That is a bit different than a streamer fish.

And well documented way back when, he took a rashing of shit if I recall!

justahack

Just Hatched
Sorry mate, you wont convince me, there was a cut in the video and I would gues they took some measurements and a bunch of pictures!
That fish is all in there, and I dont care if it is a pellet fed fish, privet land or not.

If there wasn't YT, none of you would have anything to hate!

But I'm sure you all would find something 😁
No worries. It’s all good. Not hating, just clarifying. Doesn’t matter to me if it was 36 or 45 or 12. Just saying this is the same guy who said “don’t go bragging about how big those stupid fish are” about synthetic pellet heads on private water. Anyway, I doubt he spent time measuring, taking photos. My guess is the cutaway was probably time spent removing the hook, clearing gear out of the way. His on-video fish handling etiquette, directing net man to get fish back in water, reaction to a big trout, all top notch, first class. The fish was released in very good condition, not what you get after taping and minutes of gripNgrin.