2024 WA Coastal Steelhead Regs

SSPey

loco alto!
I never said any of that. My point was the data cited was bad and shouldn't be considered gospel in order to set policy. 150% of the run could have been caught for all we know. Or 70% or 40%.

The runs are depressed - if one believes the data. It sounds like you don’t think the data are good enough to drive policy decisions, of which ESA listing is the big one. NOAA seems to think the data are good enough to consider ESA listing.

If not using data - even if imperfect data - then how else should policy be set?

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Further, all this tribalism around types of gear is tiresome. Long boards vs short boards, skis vs snow boards, tele vs alpine touring, Strats vs Les Paul, Ford vs Mopar, swinging vs nymphing, blah blah blah blah. It's stupid, doesn't do a fucking thing to help the situation and makes me wish I had never started this thread.

Well, when the topic is fishing from a boat the technique matters. I have no problem with people fishing bobbers or nymphing. But making them get out of the boat is important. Being able to float 20 miles and cover every single inch of it does put a heavier tax on the fishery.

That said, one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the river was a boat of bobber guys pull over. One guy would toss out his rig and then jog along side it. Once he got 50' down the next guy would cast and jog. It looked exhausting and more than one guy took a tumble. I may have giggled about that one.