2024 Skagit Steelhead

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Haven't heard the schedule yet. If you sign up for the WDFW emails you'll be among the first to know.

I’ve been signed up since the Bronze Age. I just figured there would be rumors swirling because there always are.

Smalma

Life of the Party
The season details will be an interesting call. Last year the forecast was 5,211 and thanks to the permit delay did not open until March 25th with a 5-day a week season (Saturday through Wednesday).

With the same forecast and a hoped-for earlier opener, it seems to me that 4 day a week season will be likely. If it were to open the first of February unless there are some brutal fishing conditions not sure that a 4-day week season would last through April.

Curt

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Word is Skagit reopens February 3rd.

SeaRunner

Steelhead
I am glad that they got this done timely. Kudos to those on here who made this possible.

I can't help but laugh at the news release's admonishment about targeting bull trout. I think I understand why they say it, but it just seems so silly given I could find a way to fish for bull trout, with the option to kill two a day, from the Skagit daily almost year round, including during the period of this C&R fishery.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
News release just dropped a few minutes ago. Season will be 2/3 through 4/17 5 days per week (Saturday through Sunday). As always if the allowable impacts are expected to be reached prior to 4/17 the fishery will close.
Just to be clear it's Saturday thru Wednesday.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Excited to get out there: May I ask how do you fish big rivers like the Columbia or skagit? It’s easy for me to find the big deep holes and frog water for kings and coho, but in all the time I’ve spent on the skagit I’ve not really found classic steelhead water. I do well for sockeye plunking seams, is that how you swing big rivers for steelhead too? Or can those classic walking speed medium depth runs be found if I put in footwork?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
how do you fish big rivers like the Columbia or skagit?
Questions like this used to come up all the time. There are several ways. 1. Hire a guide. 2. Go with someone who knows the river and is willing to show you what he shouldn't if he had a lick of sense. 3. Look and see where other people fish; there's a chance at least some of them know what they're doing. 4. Find the little river in the big river; i.e., steelhead are looking for holding water that meets their preference criteria for depth, velocity, substrate, and what I call adjacency. The latter refers to where will a steelhead go if it is spooked, chased, or otherwise displaced from its current holding location? And how far away is it? That's if the fish feels a need to take refuge from its current preferred location. For instance, if you find a spot that has perfect depth, velocity, and substrate, but the nearest refuge is over 100 yards away, then a fish is unlikely to hold there unless the river is up a bit and carrying some color - because depth and turbidity are one form of refuge.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Questions like this used to come up all the time. There are several ways. 1. Hire a guide. 2. Go with someone who knows the river and is willing to show you what he shouldn't if he had a lick of sense. 3. Look and see where other people fish; there's a chance at least some of them know what they're doing. 4. Find the little river in the big river; i.e., steelhead are looking for holding water that meets their preference criteria for depth, velocity, substrate, and what I call adjacency. The latter refers to where will a steelhead go if it is spooked, chased, or otherwise displaced from its current holding location? And how far away is it? That's if the fish feels a need to take refuge from its current preferred location. For instance, if you find a spot that has perfect depth, velocity, and substrate, but the nearest refuge is over 100 yards away, then a fish is unlikely to hold there unless the river is up a bit and carrying some color - because depth and turbidity are one form of refuge.
Thank you

skyrise

Steelhead
Again I’d like to thank all the folks who put the time and effort to “Occupy “ and raise awareness so we “All” have this opportunity to enjoy one of our many Freedoms like standing knee deep in cold running water just to play with string and hook. Thanks.