NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

Non-fishing related

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a preferred method/product for removing moss and mildew on concrete? The north side of our home gets very low levels of light and stays damp long after rains. All of the paved surfaces, sidewalk, driveway, retaining wall, stairs, etc., have moss and/or green and black mildew. We do have a pressure washer but I'd like to clean more than a 2" stripe at a time.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a preferred method/product for removing moss and mildew on concrete? The north side of our home gets very low levels of light and stays damp long after rains. All of the paved surfaces, sidewalk, driveway, retaining wall, stairs, etc., have moss and/or green and black mildew. We do have a pressure washer but I'd like to clean more than a 2" stripe at a time.

Oxyclean solution a caustic ph change does the trick spray water, apply dry oxyclean or a strong solution and power wash

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Soon some of these plants will go out . They are quite large. Still adjusting to the speed of growth from my saved seed. I will start a few weeks later still next year.View attachment 111559
For 40 years I used enclosures a radiator plug in heater and lensed sun exposure only. My absentee neighbors own this big house next door and show up at the house once a month. They are idiot gardeners and planted a bunch of fruit trees 6-8’ from my greenhouse on the sun exposure side. I had to get a lighting set up.

goinoregon

Just Hatched
For 40 years I used enclosures a radiator plug in heater and lensed sun exposure only. My absentee neighbors own this big house next door and show up at the house once a month. They are idiot gardeners and planted a bunch of fruit trees 6-8’ from my greenhouse on the sun exposure side. I had to get a lighting set up.
hey capt. i just moved to vancouver. is there a nursery u would recommend? tomatoe starts are of interest. will grow from seeds next year.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Fighting with owners of a house that do not live there . Nope. A doctor purchased it to establish residency in washington. They live across the columbia in Oregon

Salmon123

Just Hatched
Question I am in the middle of re doing my raised beds, I am putting in galvanized water troffs to use instead of traditional boxes. My plan is to drill holes in bottom for water run off and pile a bunch of cardboard in their before putting in top soil. My question is I have a bunch of old soar back salmon carcass i was thinking of putting in the bottom with the dirt. Would that be a good idea to do, Its nutrient's for the soil isn't it?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Question I am in the middle of re doing my raised beds, I am putting in galvanized water troffs to use instead of traditional boxes. My plan is to drill holes in bottom for water run off and pile a bunch of cardboard in their before putting in top soil. My question is I have a bunch of old soar back salmon carcass i was thinking of putting in the bottom with the dirt. Would that be a good idea to do, Its nutrient's for the soil isn't it?
I have buried salmon carcasses in my beds in the past, specifically my tomato beds. It yields great results. I would not do it until after this growing season however. IMO you want it to have enough time to decompose before planting out your bed. Also be aware that raccoons will try to dig them up so bury as deep as you can. I generally do this at the end of the growing season and let them fully compost for the spring planting.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I would not put something like a carcas in the bottom… it would attract less than desirable maggots and beetles through your drainage holes. Speaking of hole drilling I bought siz 2’X 6’ galvanized troughs . I cut 2 2”x 4” Pressure treated boards a little wider than the troughs bases- for drainage clearance and watering runoff so not to trap water. When I drilled 3/8” holes evenly spaced about 10”. Apart and bought a couple cans of galvanized metal spray to seal the hole edges to slow the potential rust. I use a granular organic dry fertlizer compost local soil worm casting bags for water retension. My troughs are about 3’ deepand that is a lot of soil. You could put old chunks of firewoon or short brances ans trimming in the bottom to reduce the amount of soil needed. 20inches of soil is adequate for almost anything accept perhaps asparagus. I filled my 6 troughs fully with soil but I had a lot of soil as we leveled the yard and I sifted it all with a shaker screen I made over a wheelbarrow.A hell of a lot of work!