2023 Garden Thread

Bagman

Steelhead
All the figs on my neighbors tree were kind of small and still hard, so I paid a visit to a tree in the neighborhood that is in the middle of a street roundabout. I found it when COVID started while out on my daily walks. Just grabbed a few pretty decent sized ones that were soft to play around with.
A guy walked who was walking his dog and he asked me what I was doing. I told him I was getting free produce, lol…...
SF

View attachment 77244View attachment 77243
those do not look like Missions figs, so they Would dry up very nicely. I love dried figs.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
those do not look like Missions figs, so they Would dry up very nicely. I love dried figs.

Al,
I have no idea what type they are. I did some research thinking they should turn dark when ripen, but found info on varieties that are green when ripe.
Maybe Desert King?
SF

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I've been doing a little remodeling in the backyard over the last 2 weeks. The first winter after we moved into our house, 16' of fence blew down into our neighbors yard. I stabilized it for the time being and replaced it the following summer. The gate used to be in the center of the yard, but we moved it with an eye of redoing the walkway through the yard. Fast forward 3 years and a whole lot of removal and clean up of dilapidated sheds and hardscaping, it's finally time to put in the new walkway.
IMG20230726161941.jpg
The existing walkway is an assortment of mismatched pavers, concrete chunks recycled from somewhere, and bricks. None of it is level or straight, you can see it down the center.

First step was layout and digging, a total of 4.5 yards of sod and dirt came out.
IMG20230726175137.jpg
IMG20230802143735.jpg
There were a lot of roots and rocks that I had to work through with a mattock.

Then I put in 1.5 yards of 5/8" crushed rock as a base and set up forms. There is a 2'x15' landing from the porch connecting to the walkway leading to the back gate
IMG20230804142626.jpg

From there I mixed and poured concrete. I bought the sand, aggregate , and Portland cement in bulk to save a bunch of money. So far I'm at a bit over 2 yards mixed and poured.
IMG20230804181151.jpg
IMG20230811125905.jpg

Each "paver" is 2'x3'. I have a few more to go, but won't be able to make any progress due to family obligations for a couple of weeks. Once all the concrete is in, the old walkway will get pulled up and all the gaps will get filled with topsoil and grass. I'm looking forward to finishing it and seeing it done. All in it'll cost about $800 and be a huge improvement. It's been A LOT of labor to do by myself, my body is sore on the daily, but I feel good about it.
IMG20230811155844.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230726194221.jpg
    IMG20230726194221.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been doing a little remodeling in the backyard over the last 2 weeks. The first winter after we moved into our house, 16' of fence blew down into our neighbors yard. I stabilized it for the time being and replaced it the following summer. The gate used to be in the center of the yard, but we moved it with an eye of redoing the walkway through the yard. Fast forward 3 years and a whole lot of removal and clean up of dilapidated sheds and hardscaping, it's finally time to put in the new walkway.
View attachment 77322
The existing walkway is an assortment of mismatched pavers, concrete chunks recycled from somewhere, and bricks. None of it is level or straight, you can see it down the center.

First step was layout and digging, a total of 4.5 yards of sod and dirt came out.
View attachment 77316
View attachment 77317

Then I put in 1.5 yards of 5/8" crushed rock as a base and set up forms. There is a 2'x15' landing from the porch connecting to the walkway leading to the back gate
View attachment 77331

From there I mixed and poured concrete. I bought the sand, aggregate , and Portland cement in bulk to save a bunch of money. So far I'm at a bit over 2 yards mixed and poured.
View attachment 77310
View attachment 77311

Each "paver" is 2'x3'. I have a few more to go, but won't be able to make any progress due to family obligations for a couple of weeks. Once all the concrete is in, the old walkway will get pulled up and all the gaps will get filled with topsoil and grass. I'm looking forward to finishing it and seeing it done. All in it'll cost about $800 and be a huge improvement. It's been A LOT of labor to do by myself, my body is sore on the daily, but I feel good about it.
View attachment 77333
Looking great Gary, just in time to go back to school ;)

Bagman

Steelhead
View attachment 77322

View attachment 77316
View attachment 77317

View attachment 77331

View attachment 77310
View attachment 77311

View attachment 77333
That will make harvesting a lot easier, looks great

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
I am growing 10 different tomato plants and it appears only the Cur Di Bue is getting blossom end rot. Anyone else getting it on their Cur DI Bue only. Is it just more susceptible? I water and fertilize the same way and time. They are in the same soil bed.
thanks for any input. I hope I can correct with some liquid calcium

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I am growing 10 different tomato plants and it appears only the Cur Di Bue is getting blossom end rot. Anyone else getting it on their Cur DI Bue only. Is it just more susceptible? I water and fertilize the same way and time. They are in the same soil bed.
I think even moisture is more important for the calcium uptake.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter

I put a couple of cups of bone meal in a 5 gallon bucket fill with water and let it steep a day or two then water with it. Seems to help