SOLD 2005 Mercury 40hp EFI Four Stroke

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
When you have an opportunity to add more horsies, you do it. Even if it means parting with a perfectly fine engine in the process.

Came on the boat I picked up a year ago. Previous owner barely used it. Very low hours (they estimated 40 total when I bought it and I am friends with them so I believe it). I probably added about that many last year using it myself. It's not hooked up to a meter so I don't have a way to verify unfortunately.

Starts up and runs like a top. Has been a flawless runner for me every time.

Tiller handle, power tilt, electric start.

Will have for sale unless the potential trade in is worth it (appraising soon).

$3500
1000001402.jpg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
No dog in the fight but very fair price imo.
Very much is. Below what I could get if I waited but am doing a quick discount sale to see if anyone needs a good one before the season kicks off.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Have someone coming to see it tomorrow and he seems serious.

I did drop the price due to it needing a new water pump assembly which is really just routine maintenance anyone can do.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Either a Tohatsu 60hp or Suzuki 60hp. Putting deposit on one or the other tomorrow with installation in a week.
First ran into Tohatsu's during the 90's in Fiji...the panga fleet we'd rent from at Momi Bay to get to the outer reefs would run the crap out of them, never flush them, install new water pumps each year.
Have owned a 40 and a 20, both ran flawless, ordering a 10 hp power tilt for my little skiff next month.
That extra 20 hp is going to make a big diff. Whoever you're buying it from can likely offer you the prop of choice..torque vs high end.

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had a 40 hp Tohatsu on my 16 ft Klamath and it ran very well. Installed new. Water pump every couple of years. My son is still using that boat and I have a 16 ft Smokercraft with the 40 hp Mercury. Runs well also but the boat is a bit underpowered, so have plans to eventually replace it with a 60 hp Yamaha.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah I have strong reasons for going both directions, but the Suzuki dealer is the same one I bought my 225 Honda at and they've treated me well. They're also much more convenient to get to in case I need to take it back in for anything. So I think I'll pay the few extra bucks for the zuke