2-Piece Rods

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Huh! Interesting, not something I would have considered - I thought "travel" was the main reason for shorter rod pieces (4 V. 2) so your comment debunks my understanding. Your comment makes sense from my perspective as I've traveled on an aircraft with fly rods exactly one round trip. On that particular trip, with Alaska Airlines, I saw tubes carried on that were five feet long (Alaska bound); I think AA was generous since my guess is 90% of the travelers were either hunters or fishers. Given your comment, Mr. B., it would be nice to have more two-piece rod options as I hardly ever break my four piece rods into four pieces, they're always in my "two piece" rod bags.
I mean, it's a bit of both. But why would fly rods be standard in 4pc while gear rods aren't? It's because a fly shop ordering rods 2-3 at a time can't eat the $50+ in shipping to ship an oversize length tube for a single rod.

Then, consider how many rods are sold through mail order from the dealer to consumer - it's a massive percentage these days, and most small business fly shops can't offer free shipping to be competitive on 1pc and 2pc rods.

So 4pc rods are standard, and the end consumer gets something that's easier to travel with.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ultimately, it makes no difference to me if a rod is 2, 4 or 7 piece (I have one).... as long as I like how they cast, the number of sections for the rod is no consequence.
It is and isn't. If you have a 4, 5, or 7 pc rod you like, then that's all that matters. I think the conversation is more that if a rod is offered in a few different configurations, would you go for more pieces for ease of travel? Or less, like 1 or 2pc, for the weight reduction and better "feel" in the flex?

I've tested out several rods that came in a few configurations and got to do side-by-side tests. The difference can be pretty profound. I definitely prefer less pieces if I can.

trailside

Freshly Spawned
Forum Supporter
I have a couple 2 pc rods that are my favorites but not sure if its the rod or the number of sections. I try to take 4 pc rods on family vacations or work trips. It depends on where you're going but for the most part I will deal with the inconvenience of taking 2 pc rods and air travel on most fishing trips. Another thing, if you're anxious to get on the water, you can string up a 2 pc a little faster.

Why does everyone shun 2-piece rods anymore.? I'm a big fan. The less I have to f*** around with extra ferrules the better. I keep all my 4-piece rods connected in 2 sections. I don't buy the convenience excuse. You can't place a 4ft tube in your trunk.? You need another car.! LOL...But really, they sure cast nicer with only 1 ferrule. I just ordered a 2-piece, Im6 4# to build for my own personal rod. It felt like robbery. Most the blank manufacturers, 2-piece offerings are greatly reduced in price. Would any of you ever buy one.?...
I only fish 2 pc. Found some vintage 80-90s Sage and GLomis and buy only in excellent condition. Must read.
https://midcurrent.com/gear/retro-r...te-models-that-changed-the-fly-fishing-world/
Rafter is full. There's a vintage forum that sometimes hit our site. One I found in Florida used twice. Broke brand new 4 pc twice and gave the replacement away in raper at half price. No one makes 2 pc except maybe Lami...which my son loves the backbone for salmon. They all went 4 pc so the can save on replacement sections.