2 mouth lake trout

Chucker

Steelhead
They don't look like mutant fish to me, just an injury to the lower jaw where the tissue has been torn from the mandible, and there’s some scar tissue developing. I think the scientist quoted in the article must not have looked too closely at the picture. Amazing, the injuries that fish can survive.

That‘s really boring though, so lets go with MUTANT TWO MOUTHED FISH! :eek:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Geez. Professor Marsden needs 1) to check her vision prescription, 2) to review some basic fish anatomy, and 3) to find some better-informed colleagues. "Ellen Marsden, a professor of fisheries at the University of Vermont’s Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, thinks that the trout’s all-too-brief encounter with humankind gives plenty of opportunity for interpretation. “It clearly has two mandibles, two lower jaws,” she says after looking at the photographs and discussing the fish with colleagues.". No, this fish does NOT have two mandibles. It has a mandible and a hyoid (tongue) arch, just like every other fish.. An injury has separated the muscles and ligaments that connect the tip of the mandible to the tip of the hyoid. It is amazing that the fish is in as good condition as it is. And it would be fascinating to see how it feeds (and swallows) under this condition.
Steve

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
... The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation said in a statement to USA TODAY that its biologists had also analyzed the image and “think that it is most likely a rare biological abnormality that is sometimes encountered in nature.”

Better known as a "severe injury of unknown etiology" or "idiopathic mandibular/hyoid separation".

Cheers

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What’s scary is how the website the article came from spells “kill” and “die” with each letter separated with periods: “k.i.l.l” “d.i.e”.