……. No big deal but wow.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Put this old combo together on the grass… The TEENY 300 line is old but new and unused with a short poly leader and 5 feet of tippet.

IMG_3965.jpeg

Hit 110-115 every time with simple double haul.
Sage 896-4 XP /sage-loop 709 with teeny 300 grain float and steelhead sink polyleader (forget rating …think 3, five foot tippet with yarn….. Just sailed …. Now what steelhead can I aim for 😆

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Had no idea that Danielsson made reels for Sage (via Loop proxy)....I absolutely LOVE those reels for everything freshwater.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The sage one's have a clicker....
Had the 707, 709, and 711. Mine were all on rpl's and the old brownie spey.
I'm guessing that would be the equivalent of the current Dryfly, 2W & 3W.

I love my 3W for muskies (will probably use it for my recent 2hander purchase), the 2W for steelhead, and the Dryfly for all things trout.

Russell

Steelhead
I'm guessing that would be the equivalent of the current Dryfly, 2W & 3W.

I love my 3W for muskies (will probably use it for my recent 2hander purchase), the 2W for steelhead, and the Dryfly for all things trout.
No, I think they would be the equivalent of a 2, 3, and 4. Danielsson had different sizes then. The 4 was a 4" reel that some used in the salt for big game. I think I liked the narrower spools back then. I now have the midge, nymph W, and dry fly. love using them for trout. Kind of wish I had not moved on the sage's but found a love for hardy's and steelhead.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
gotcha. the 3W has at least a 4" OD...I'll measure it in a bit....since it's getting dusted off tomorrow for muskies...

edit: the 3W is a big reel. OD: 4 1/4", W: 1 1/2"

I've gotten to really enjoy the silence of the current offerings from Danielsson...I really see no need to advertise my presence to everyone else on the river...but, who am I to judge those who do... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Mine is 4 1/4 by 1” …also tight spool tolerances. No line slippage inside gears. … Engineered very well. In a way would you expect any thing less from European engineering 😜 l

Last edited:
Put this old combo together on the grass… The TEENY 300 line is old but new and unused with a short poly leader and 5 feet of tippet.

View attachment 107125

Hit 110-115 every time with simple double haul.
Sage 896-4 XP /sage-loop 709 with teeny 300 grain float and steelhead sink polyleader (forget rating …think 3, five foot tippet with yarn….. Just sailed …. Now what steelhead can I aim for 😆
That is super impressive! 115' wow! I would like to sign up for a lesson!