Search results

1. D

Elk River?

We're all fairly experienced fisherman but know nothing about Fernie or the rivers. We're planning a DIY trip in late July. Should we bring the pontoon boats or can we get by with just wading?
  2. D

Elk River?

I’m passing the winter downtime with planning my first trip to Fernie this summer. Any advice on fishing the Elk and tributaries would be greatly appreciated.
  3. D

SW Montana Rivers Back To Normal

I was there last week. The headlines should read "The Miniscule Amount of Water Left in the Big Hole After Irrigation Withdrawals is Now Too Warm to Fish"
  4. D

NFR EV Home Plug in?

I repurposed an unused dryer circuit for my EV. It works fine but is a little slow (240V, 30 amp). I plug my Wallbox into the outlet and charge at 24 amps. The Wallbox has an internal switch that can limit charging to the maximum amperage of your circuit - 80% of capacity. If I was doing...
  5. D

Wild broodstocking?

While driving along the Methow last week, I saw guys fishing with a WDFW tanker truck nearby. I assume they were collecting steelhead for hatchery broodstock. Why is this done on the Methow and not other rivers? Is this a good thing in one type of river but not in another (good on upper...
  6. D

It's too early, but...

It looks like a bad number to me. The number of sockeye going over Bonneville is nuts (30-40K/day the last couple of days). I'm willing to bet that some of the sockeye were miscounted as steelhead.
  7. D

Most scenic places to crap in the west.

Here's the view from the facilities at Camp Muir on Rainier. It's right up there with any that I've ever used. Mounts St. Helens, Hood and Adams in the distance.
  8. D

New salmon passage-Green River

Once the fish passage infrastructure comes online and much more habitat is available to the fish, will the escapement goals be adjusted upwards? If that doesn't happen, what is the point of doing this?
  9. D

South Fork Flathead

I did this same trip in August 2020. Salmo provided excellent advice prior to the trip, and I'm happy to help out others doing the same. The logistics of floating the South Fork are pretty daunting, so the normal rules about hotspotting probably don't apply.