Search results

1. M

South Sound with Nick C.

After driving through way too much snow in Oregon for 2 days of steelheading, two of us meet Nick at 7am on Sat in freezing temps. The boat was already launched, so off for a bone chilling ride. At least it was calm and sunny so casting was easy. Found the first fish within an hour and then...
  2. M

Better know your daphnia

Interesting video focussed on water fleas. They respond to the presence of fish in general behaviour and reproduction. Also respond to the presence of phantom midges. Can even grow neck teeth! Water fleas
  3. M

Teasers for bucktailing

Coho have been large for the season and prolific on the Canadian side of Juan de Fuca in Sooke. A flyrod bucktail was getting a few hits while fishing spoons on downriggers so decided to go all in on bucktails and surface fishing. Inspired by trolling in FL, I put dummy flashers on the...
  4. M

Carotenoids and salmonids

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2019.1588#:~:text=In%20Chinook%20salmon%2C%20the%20occurrence,40%2C45%2C46%5D Crazy amount of info in that paper. The white chinook benefits aspect was most interesting to me. "Under experimental conditions, red eggs experience greater...
  5. M

Guide Recommendations Portland day trips end of May

Looking for guide recommendations for day trips near Portland for May 26 to June 1 range. Tried a couple guides and shops but no responses. Open to all species and prefer fly but will go to gear if necessary. Or if someone feels like showing me some spots, happy to cover costs and...