Search results

1. C

It finally happened, almost

I've been at it really hard this winter for steelhead. It's my first winter, following fishing last summer on the Deschutes quite a bit. Never had a tug except an occasional trout. I tried gear fishing for a couple years too, never caught a steelhead. Saturday was low and clear on my favorite...
  2. C

Cracking sink tips

This first sink tip is made from bulk Rio In touch, T11. I bought it on eBay, used only one day and it's cracking. The second picture is also Rio t11 that I bought from a reputable fly shop. It was in a non standard retail package, so I believe it was also made from bulk. This second one I cut...
  3. C

What's the deal with stream access in OR?

This feels overly complicated, but I can see how it's a messy subject dealing with property ownership. As I understand it, if the water is determined navigable, it's open to public use up to the typical high water line. If it's not navigable by paperwork standard, but is technically large...
  4. C

Decorated some streamside trees for Christmas

My first winter steelhead day didn't go so well. I think I left 4 'ornaments' in trees on both sides of the river, and broke off another in a tailout. My 13' Spey rod can really toss em on a small river, I'll have to figure out how to keep that under control! And keeping the upstream flip out of...
  5. C

Winter run timing and other questions

I'm new to steelhead, I fished for them this summer in various rivers and recently bought a spey rod. I fished last winter a bit with gear but no success. I have been having actual dreams about steelhead fishing and spey casting the last few weeks! I'm so ready to get after it! Questions.. When...
  6. C

Switch vs spey recommendation

Hi all, my first post here. I'd like to get into swinging for steelhead. I have a 7 wt single hand that I use for micro Skagit using an OPST head. I understand the basics, but want to get a two handed rod for bigger water and hopefully bigger fish. I would like to fish a range of water, both...