Search results

1. the_grube

Baseball 2024

George Kirby is looking like Cy Young material tonight. Really shocked the M's got to Singer so early, they usually whiff and roll over for slider/sinker pitchers. Lots of game left to go.
  2. the_grube

Do NOT trout set!

I feel so much better about myself after reading this thread. I came up with bupkus on winter steel this year, not for lack of grabs; ya you know the rest. As mentioned already in this thread, there is a time and place for the trout-set. Like last night when I was trout fishing and missed fish...
  3. the_grube

Walk in options near Florence OR

The trout and anadromous fish snob in me wants to drag my boat or take a pontoon along and fish a river or stillwater (probably no anadro fish up there to target right now?). But the simplicity of walking down to the water and fishing is compelling. It also is less likely to turn me into the...
  4. the_grube

Walk in options near Florence OR

Gonna be staying in a VRBO on the ocean with my family this month. Looking for a place to hop out for a few hours at a time (before others get up when possible). Saw a number of lakes with planters and some beach access, thinking an SRC opportunity would awesome. Could be convinced to haul my...
  5. the_grube

Intermediate camo lines

Interesting stuff... So, do folks think that it's important to have a clear intermediate (like the aqualux) AND a clear camo (like the CCC, and camo-lux) I've read and heard that the clear lines are the best choice for sunny days and clear water, whereas the clear-camo work best for dark days...
  6. the_grube

Trailer problem

. I think the easiest way to monitor for this problem is to roll the bunks after each launch. If they roll too easily then those ny-lock nuts holding them to the clips on need to be tightened... once gaps develop in that connection things can go South in a hurry.
  7. the_grube

H and H rods and blanks

Anyone own one or had a chance to cast and fish one. I got to lawn cast one today and walked away with a generally positive opinion. Seems like a great value for someone wanting to roll their own https://store.hookhack.com/shop/
  8. the_grube

Intermediate camo lines

Be interested to hear what you think of the new camo line. I hope it contributes it's share to the net as well.
  9. the_grube

Intermediate camo lines

I have the RIO aqualux intermediate. Really like the line, casts well and it's pretty tangle free if I stretch it before each session. Thinking about getting a camo-lux for off-color water, those summer days with gin clear water. I've heard good things about the Cortland camo intermediate. It's...
  10. the_grube

Trailer problem

Finally got parts shipped and fixed the trailer. I wound up swapping the bunks end-for-end so that the new new screw holes stayed on the original layout and well away from the old gouged screw-holes. Things went together well. I'll keep a close eye on it from now on.
  11. the_grube

Rain

Southern OR residents can blame this cold/wet snap on me. I repaired some trenches in my lawn created by some heavy equipment in Feb.. I decided to go ahead and throw down some grass seed 2 weeks ago... has hardly bumped up over 60 since then. I also took the time to get my irrigation pump...
  12. the_grube

Switch rod?

I have a One 8116. It's money with about 525gr, 10' of t-whatever, and a half-chicken fly. Easy to cast; upper section loads quickly with plenty of power left in the lower sections.
  13. the_grube

Diamond Lake

Mt Thielsen and Bailey are stunning this time of the year. Did you notice if the south boat ramp was open?
  14. the_grube

Baseball 2024

I think the M's success is even more impressive given that Matt Brash and JP Crawford are sitting out right now. The high strikeout ratio has always bothered me... I really prefer contact oriented offenses... but it's hard to argue with the current success and streak they're on.
  15. the_grube

FS Sage X 7130-4

Great price on a great rod. I love mine. I never fish skagits on it, but hear it does that well. Paired with a Rio short-head spey' and 3 or 4 of the 15ft tips you can cover lots of situations. Powerful and forgiving is a great description.
  16. the_grube

NFR Places to eat after (or before) fishing

Idlyd Trading post, on the way to the fly-waters, makes great bfast burritos and sandwiches. It's a short order restaruant, tackle shop, gas-station, and a licquor store. I always pick up their best bottle of scotch on days that I catch a steelhead, or on days when I raise a steelhead...
  17. the_grube

gear price jumps

Other than shooting line for spey heads I don't think I've ever worn out a fly line. I have some that I've fished hundreds of days. I'm sure this is due to my supreme vibration free casting technique and not the number of fish I catch (or don't catch as it were) Slight thread drift. I have one...
  18. the_grube

Spey Bros

I don't care if it's photo-shopped; Eric Clapton 'glory shotting' an Atlantic Salmon is one of the best things I've seen this year.
  19. the_grube

True story

I guess an outboard motor, rail dragster and swamp boat motors would be external combustion engines then? Good to know. Always wondered if "no internal combustion motors allowed" meant you couldn't even have one on board and not use it..
  20. the_grube

Prolapsed Bladder...

Well Outcast told me the bag is un-repairable; it's 19 years old (10 yr warrantee) and de-laminating. The whole thing, frame and bags, is $4400.00 new. They want 3k just for new bags and bladders... ouch. I wonder if there are 3rd party pontoons that would fit in the frame, or if I have any...