Tail - Brown mallard
Ribbing - Yellow silk
Body - Gray wool
Hackle - Dun
Wing - Light mottled turkey

Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
MOAL ~ Cross cut rabbit wrapped up 30# dacron backing. (Two vise situation) If winter steelhead eat plastic worms tossed by gear heads, then this may do the trick as well. Assuming winter steelhead come back........View attachment 53927
Yes, that sort of pattern works. Look up the old MOAL leech pattern held together by fabric glue. The problem is that the leather on the fur soaks up water and it’s a heavy fly to lift out of the water and cast. That’s why it evolved into the tandem tube pattern. I use a variation on gear patterns with a jig head where the weight is not a disadvantage. Also it doesn’t have as much movement as a simple bunny strip tail. Nice tie though.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Another solution is to lay the bunny strip into a waxed dubbing loop prior to wrapping. Before you spin the loop, cut the hide free of the of the hair. Same amount of fur without the weight of the hide. Also coat the Dacron with thinned aquaseal prior to wrapping for durability.

Divad

Whitefish
@MillCreekMinnow and @Cowlitz Bottomfeeder , I started cutting off the hide and throwing the fur in a dubbing loop, wetted and Tear Mender onto the Dacron.

I made a post about these way back when and even bought a leather hide thinner. But if you must keep the hide on, I thinned as much as I could with scissors as the rabbit hide was too soft for the trimmer.

With the dubbing loop method (harder to tie) you lose a little length but the trade off is worth it as all that hide soaks up water making a heavy sob.

CHOOSE LIMP DACRON, the Rio stuff was much limper than other brands. I do the tails in bulk.

0A493649-CAEE-47F1-B471-6F6E3C6B7C25.jpeg

Need to restock the MOAL box. Thank you for the reminder.

7DA809BE-2816-4A35-985D-B205ECC7C475.jpeg

Yes, that sort of pattern works. Look up the old MOAL leech pattern held together by fabric glue. The problem is that the leather on the fur soaks up water and it’s a heavy fly to lift out of the water and cast. That’s why it evolved into the tandem tube pattern. I use a variation on gear patterns with a jig head where the weight is not a disadvantage. Also it doesn’t have as much movement as a simple bunny strip tail. Nice tie though.
I tack the strips to cork board and scrape down the hide as much as possible. I haven't struggled to cast them. (and I am not known for my casting) These days fly lines can cast a 6" Rapala across the river. I will check out the tandem tube pattern.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I tack the strips to cork board and scrape down the hide as much as possible. I haven't struggled to cast them. (and I am not known for my casting) These days fly lines can cast a 6" Rapala across the river. I will check out the tandem tube pattern.
Good point about the casting. Some Spey casters are using the long heavy rods and 800 gr. Skagit heads. They can lift and throw way more than I do. I’d rather summer fish dry lines and 10’ intermediate tips on my 13 foot 7 weight and enjoy the cast. But keep up the good work. I’d fish your mayfly patterns confidently.

Scottp

Legend
Bumbled Olive Muddler

52687111677_9255e8af0b_c.jpg

52687906719_eb5b5f601e_c.jpg

52687110347_b2b67ec8d5_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 light olive
tail - Ice Dub caddis green
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle - grizzly dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
shoulder - partridge dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

WWKimba

Smolt
Here's a design by a very talented 12-year-old!

Maple Syrup - Designed by Holly Theriault (some sources erroneously credit this to Holly's father Alvin) of Staceyville, Maine to imitate the Hexagenia mayfly nymph. This pattern has been modified with many tying variations - there are 15 variations sold on Alvin's fly site alone! On this same site Alvin confirms that this was Holly's, not his, design. One other thing, Holly had 8 years' tying experience when she came up with her design!

337204030_MapleSyrup.thumb.jpg.7be056628093458badf1b35b680806e6.jpg

Hook - 3XL to up to 6XL streamer hook, 10-18

Thread - black, red, or tan

Tail - yellow calf tail, not too heavy

Body - beige or light tan chenille, tied from front to back of the hook shank and then wrapped to the eye (or double wrapped in simpler language!)

WWKimba

Smolt
2X2's from the Stone Condiment series.

Annatto - My attempt to create a series inspired by Josephine Sedlecky-Borsum and her Hot Mustard - which will be featured next month. This represents a small orange stone dry and can be tied on a larger hook for the October stone.

794540622_AnnattoOrangeStonefly.thumb.jpg.1fb6224f7712c67c4e3360c2adfb7fc4.jpg

Hook - Mustad 94840, 10-14

Thread - black or orange

Body/Tail - orange poly yarn, extended beyond the hook bend, tied down to eye and folded back over tail and both cut ~ 1 hook gap beyond curve of hook

Hackle - grizzly or orange-dyed grizzly

Hoisin - Another of my attempts and imitates the small brown stone.

488420136_HoisonBrownStonefly.thumb.jpg.adfa3e29b0795c80b6da93876edf846d.jpg

Thread - black or brown

Body/Tail - brown, tied as Annatto (above)

Hackle - brown-dyed grizzly or grizzly

Wasabi - A bit over hackled pattern (I'll replace with a better tie when this dang order finally comes in!) to represent green stones.
1220535183_WasabiGreenStonefly.thumb.jpg.9eb8f9e915ae468a7c633aa2e2196b87.jpg
Thread - green
Body/Tail - green poly yarn
Hackle - green-dyed grizzly (shown) or insect green dry fly hackle

Soy Sauce - Two variations of a tie for black stones. Most adult stones in nature are black with a brown cast/coloration to them. In a pinch you could try using brown hackle, black hackle and/or one of each palmered together. These last three I'm tying now for next season try outs.
660858588_SoySauceBlackStonefly1.thumb.jpg.327ec05ede861178ecd19f11c6ada55e.jpg
1261828759_SoySauceBlackStonefly2.thumb.jpg.1351c9a438ebc9026a8f3ae4a863d68d.jpg
Thread - black or can use brown
Body/Tail - black poly yarn
Hackle - #1 used furnace, #2 used brown-dyed grizzly

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Parmachene-Belle-1080.jpg

Parmachene Belle

Winged Wet Fly

Tail - White and scarlet
Butt - Black ostrich herl