What are you listening to?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Maybe my favorite CSN song:

Edit, I forgot that Art Garfunkel had vocals on this track!

Mine as well.
SF

Ian Broadie

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I listen to just about anything and if you can put a good twist on a genre all the better

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shubert's Unfinished Symphony. Admittedly I don't know a helluva lot about classical music but I know that I like it. And any orchestra led by Ivan Fischer is going to be at the top of it's game knowing it is being led by an absolute master. The affection between orchestra and conductor seems almost palpable as he leads them with a wide variety of facial expressions and smiles. Some of the conductors seem stiff and stony but Fischer seems to feel the music more than others and his pleasure with certain passages is obvious.

As I continue to watch the great symphonies and conductors during this winter I'm finding that watching an orchestra perform is a fascinating experience and far more enjoyable than just listening to it. I started listening to live jazz in 1959 and know that jazz played in a good club or concert hall is better than any home stereo can provide. And just like jazz or Rock n Roll there is some truly great stuff and some really horrible stuff. There are some pigs that even lipstick can't help.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Shubert's Unfinished Symphony. Admittedly I don't know a helluva lot about classical music but I know that I like it. And any orchestra led by Ivan Fischer is going to be at the top of it's game knowing it is being led by an absolute master. The affection between orchestra and conductor seems almost palpable as he leads them with a wide variety of facial expressions and smiles. Some of the conductors seem stiff and stony but Fischer seems to feel the music more than others and his pleasure with certain passages is obvious.

As I continue to watch the great symphonies and conductors during this winter I'm finding that watching an orchestra perform is a fascinating experience and far more enjoyable than just listening to it. I started listening to live jazz in 1959 and know that jazz played in a good club or concert hall is better than any home stereo can provide. And just like jazz or Rock n Roll there is some truly great stuff and some really horrible stuff. There are some pigs that even lipstick can't help.
Ive -
My wife and I used to head to Seattle to watch and listen to the Seattle Symphony. I always wanted to see/hear Bach's Toccata and Fugue on that wonderful pipe organ in Benaroyal Hall but haven't had the chance.

We used to go to a concert series in a barn (of all places, near Chimacum) performed by the Philadelphia String Quartet. Amazing music by superb musicians performing literally a few feet from the audience. There was one performance that really didn't reach out to me or to my wife. I remember the composer was Bartok but I don't remember what symphony it was, it was for my untrained ear just too abstract.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Ive -
My wife and I used to head to Seattle to watch and listen to the Seattle Symphony. I always wanted to see/hear Bach's Toccata and Fugue on that wonderful pipe organ in Benaroyal Hall but haven't had the chance.

We used to go to a concert series in a barn (of all places, near Chimacum) performed by the Philadelphia String Quartet. Amazing music by superb musicians performing literally a few feet from the audience. There was one performance that really didn't reach out to me or to my wife. I remember the composer was Bartok but I don't remember what symphony it was, it was for my untrained ear just too abstract.

Nice place to see music you would not expect to see out here. 2023 schedule is not out yet, but soon.
Recommend...
:)

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I agree with your use of the term abstract. Some of the stuff that classical music buffs gush over is nothing more than irritating noise. Many of the well known passages from classical music have been popular for hundreds of years now, often heard in movie themes, television programs, in commercials and background music. Those tunes are familiar to us all whether we recognize what their origin is or not, they will still be beautiful hundreds of years from now. The rest of that crap is a cacophony of random notes that are hostile to the ear and better left in the dust bin of history.

I see similarities in art where the creations of the ancient artist are treasured and worth millions of dollars. Then along came 'modern art' , a confused series of scribbles that was little more than technicolor graffiti. Self proclaimed experts then emerged trying to tell us what each distorted image stood for and explaining the stimulus for it. I know less about art than I do about classical music but when I saw modern art it spoke of a grammar school kid with ADD on too much sugar and having too many crayons.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

Saw this after doing a search, just seeing if this was what I thought I remembered..I was at this show... Remember it as an awesome show, just a big lovefest, but I was just a kid going to any concert I could, getting plenty tuned up while waiting in line for a general admission show.
Bands used to start tours in Seattle, and work out the kinks before hitting the big towns. Lots of very informal long shows were common.
I thought I remembered a bitching 4 hour show with plenty of great tunes, but at 48 years ago it was pretty tough to remember...started thinking about all the big shows back then...at some point you begin to seriously doubt the memories of the 70's, often with good reason I might admit.
Turns out it was amongst the most epic stops on the tour...with later stops not having 40 songs...reading the comnents in the link...
Lol
Not that I would be swearing I remembered it all, but I swear I was there...
Lol

:)

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

Ive -
There was one performance that really didn't reach out to me or to my wife. I remember the composer was Bartok but I don't remember what symphony it was, it was for my untrained ear just too abstract.
I am near the same level of appreciation that @iveofione & @Buzzy have for timeless classical music (and jazz). I just like it and primarily listen to classical radio (along with an eclectic variety of piano roll, pre-1920 cylinders, 78s from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s or early 45s and mono LP music streamed or on low power FM radio when in the Olympia to Tacoma and Tenino area from KBRD). I can recognize a few composers' works and can identify some featured soloists by their signature tone and embellishments. My Dad played violin and mandolin and often listened to classical music. My Mom liked big bands. I recall they both liked to watch musical/musician-based variety shows the Lawrence Welk, Sing Along with Mitch, Nat King Cole, Andy Williams, Dinah Shore... shows on TV. So I was exposed to a lot of major and minor consonant (based entirely on scale tones) melodies and harmonies growing up forming my "musical vocabulary" that evoke many feelings and images in my mind. I haven't learned to engage with, and frankly don't really care to listen to music with a lot of dissonant (tones that aren’t included in the major or minor core scales of the key) - abstract melodies and harmonies. I do like it when jazz musicians sprinkle dissonant passing tones into a jazz solo over consonant melodies and harmonies, but not when they dwell on them.

I always wanted to see/hear Bach's Toccata and Fugue on that wonderful pipe organ in Benaroyal Hall but haven't had the chance.
I'd like to listen to this amazing young boy about 20 years from now.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
As I continue to watch the great symphonies and conductors during this winter I'm finding that watching an orchestra perform is a fascinating experience and far more enjoyable than just listening to it.
BTW, the US military has world class orchestras and bands. And as an American you own their recordings and videos that are free to download. And attendance to their live shows is minimal to no cost
Bands used to start tours in Seattle, and work out the kinks before hitting the big towns. Lots of very informal long shows were common.
And unfortunately exposed when there was both studio (over)production (in the days before auto tune) to get a high quality recording, and the myriad of problems that are encountered in live performance often preventing the quality of live shows from being able to match the recording. "Better than the record" was a lofty goal I had for a live performance.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
While trying to tie some size 18 midges this afternoon, I was listening to Miles Davis radio on Pandora. Decided to try some rock n roll from my time in the Navy (this dates me):