What's in your vise?

Zak

Legend
I've got that book, Zak. I think we have talked about it before. Some interesting flies there. There are a few fore-and-aft hackled patterns popular in that part of the Country. I fish the Arizona Peacok Lady and the Apache Peacock Lady in AZ.
We did talk about that book on the old site! "Willie D.," who is mentioned in that book (turkey tail caddis), gave me my first fly and opened my eyes to fly tying. I first learned to fly fish in the rios north of Santa Fe. Bought my first real fly rod at High Desert Angler.

Scottp

Legend
Craven’s Screaming Banshee

52613845379_e3678324a0_c.jpg

52614013725_cde61c16cc_c.jpg

52613586896_7e99fdd895_c.jpg

52614013700_68a9c22bcb_c.jpg

52613079092_533c5b6fe5_c.jpg

Sides and front aren’t quite the same length but I got the spread right. Here’s Charlie’s video if you’re interested.

hook - WFC Model 11 #12
thread - SemperFli 8/0 tan
abdomen - medium tinsel opal
shellback - yearling elk
thorax - Starburst dubbing tan
wing(s) - yearling elk

Regards,
Scott

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Agerhonen-ish. I'll wait for different conditions before I work up lighter weight versions. 3 hares ear and partridge hackle sections. There was no gold wire in the global fly fisher video I watched. I often leave the hackle tips on my jigged versions too, but there it's on the bottom when it turns over. Should be a good anchor fly for swinging multifly rigs with the regular single hand rod in winter water. 10 3xl.
20230108_033642.jpg

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Black-Demon-Cains-River-Series-1080.jpg

Black Demon
(Cains River Series)

Created by C. Jim Pray
Hook - Mustad 3665A
Thread - Black
Tail - Two sections of a barred wood duck feather
Body - Medium flat gold/silver tinsel
Wing - Four jet black saddle hackles
Cheeks - Jungle cock
Collar - Several turns of an orange saddle hackle

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Spruce-Variant-1080.jpg

Spruce Variant

Hook – Single Salmon
Thread – Wine/red
Tip - Copper tinsel
Body - Red tinsel
Veiling - Golden pheasant tippet
Thorax - Peacock herl
Wing - Yellow-dyed squirrel tail
Hackle – Brown hen

From internet photo

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Just messin' around. Found this page by Martin Joergensen on the march brown . I think he likes hares ear and partridge as much as I do. My wet fly wings suck, I resorted to pheasant. Not sure if the imitation wood duck is too long or full, but I'll fish it anyways. Sz. 5. 20230108_121635.jpg

Last edited:

Scottp

Legend
H+F Hopper

52616219798_341a5425bc_c.jpg

52615728831_21c4726691_c.jpg

52615220102_a631d90521_c.jpg

52616163280_b408aee04c_c.jpg

Added a body hackle and shoulder for no specific reason, since the original floated just fine. These are a good bit more involved than the Wiese Bob Hopper 2.0, but they’re also fun to tie and a Carnage body October Caddis version is probably my favorite fly for east-side westslopes.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - SemperFli 8/0 tan
tail - yarn gold
body - Starburst dubbing tan
hackle - ginger
shoulder - sharptail grouse
wing/lip - 2mm foam tan
collar - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Someday I'll have to have someone teach me to set wings. Watched several videos and tried a half dozen times on this one, but they always come apart. Frustrating. 20230108_154408.jpg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
another steelhead stripper. "after dark" PrimoTail for the back end, some flash in the middle, cotton candy Titan dubbed head reverse bullet tied on a size 1 Ahrex TP605.

drxNbKV.jpg

ldvRtiA.jpg

Cheers!

Zak

Legend
Just messin' around. Found this page by Martin Joergensen on the march brown . I think he likes hares ear and partridge as much as I do. My wet fly wings suck, I resorted to pheasant. Not sure if the imitation wood duck is too long or full, but I'll fish it

Someday I'll have to have someone teach me to set wings. Watched several videos and tried a half dozen times on this one, but they always come apart. Frustrating. View attachment 49179
Dave Hughes says they just turn into a bunch of fibers anyway, so he often tries in a bunch of fibers. A well set wing is pretty, though.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
@clarkman what kind of action are you looking for in a steelhead stripper?
I have caught a few on the strip, most of them I felt on the swing and hang down. I stripped back at about the pace the fly was swinging when they were pulling on it. I have had them eat on strip 4 of a fairly quick, but actively fished retrieve from hang down. And I have toyed with a few with erratic short strips and pauses until they ate.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
That’s how they look after the first couple of fish.
I wouldn’t sweat it.
Maybe try to get them to lay down along the back more. 😉😁
srsly, what @FinLuver said....

that looks buggy as shit!
Dave Hughes says they just turn into a bunch of fibers anyway, so he often tries in a bunch of fibers. A well set wing is pretty, though.
Thanks guys, I was so frustrated yesterday. I know that's Dave's feeling on wings, and I've been using fibers for about 15 years since reading that and it works, but........ As a tier I would like to be able to do it. Setting wings, and getting a proper wing case, not to short, not to long, not a few fibers pulled over on top, are still things I'd like to get good at instead of working around.