Record Keeping-Recipe Books

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
What do you all do to keep track of your fly recipes and stuff?

I'd gotten into the habit of using Powerpoint as my recipe book.....I could snap a quick picture of the fly or my dye bath and then type in whatever information I wanted...hook size feathers, dye ratios....whatever.

I just learned Microsoft Office (which includes PP) is now $70 per year and since I no longer need it for work my dutch side is saying 'no more'...so what do y'all do?

Or do you do anything?

Maybe it's just a matter of keeping my OCD in check...I dunno :unsure:

Shirley there are good ideas out there😉

Scottp

Legend
I post them here and a few other sites and hope they have a useable search function so I can go back to make sure I don’t tie the same fly twice. Also started dumping them on Instagram; think I may wean off other places and focus there.

Regards,
Scott

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I post them here and a few other sites and hope they have a useable search function so I can go back to make sure I don’t tie the same fly twice. Also started dumping them on Instagram; think I may wean off other places and focus there.

Regards,
Scott
Please don't wean off this site!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
i put the flies i tie on my blog and multiple forums + instagram

i bookmark a lot of patterns and store them on an external hard drive

folders.jpg

i use microsoft word on some patterns

ms-word-recipe-page.jpg

i have a vast library of fly tying books

Books.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I keep pictures of flies and fish in yearly folders, then separated out by water body, then date. The other reference is to look in a box, I'll have restocked before I use the last one. Everything else for actual patterns is tabs in books. But I found I just need to be close, a picture seems to work, because for the life of me I can't seem to tie the exact same fly twice anyways.
edit: I don't think I really answered your question tough.

Attachments

• 1668458369482.png
    1668458369482.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 10

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
for the life of me I can't seem to tie the exact same fly twice anyways.
No kidding...which is why I kinda asked....many of my flies are like the old "Telephone' game....by the time I tie a handful, the last one only vaguely look like the first one. 😉

and thanks all, my take away is it's time to chill on the OCD....I'm not tying anything legendary and when my CRS flares up...there are plenty of other databases out there 👍

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Al Troth taught lots of us in SW Montana to document what we tied, "You think you'll remember but you won't". So true.

I now keep a journal (in an old unsupported version of MS Word) which includes fly recipes as well as general observations and pithy quotes from this site and elsewhere. Very insightful going back through previous years to refresh memories.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
I primarily tie saltwater flies. After the 1st year I realized I couldn't remember all my "recipes" so started keeping a a running MS Word narrative on the materials to tie the patterns I use. I have SRC, feeding/traveling salmon & estuary salmon categories in my narrative. I keep flies in boxes so hopefully can look at a pattern before I loose the last fly. I'm now starting to take pictures of my good flies and archiving them. In my narrative I put an asterisk by effective flies and a double asterisk by really effective flies with an occasional note describing location/presentation that worked well for that fly. I sometimes add a note on thoughts to spice up a good pattern to try in the future.

Now I'm starting to get boxes of flies that I thought would work...but really don't. I'll need to weed out some this winter and pare down my MS Word narrative...along with re-stocking my effective flies.

There are some very good tiers on this site and I enjoy looking at patterns that people post during the season in "what's catching you fish?". It's very helpful to me! Thanks!

Reactions: M_D

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I have recipes/SBS created in Word and printed out in a notebook. Flies per river/species are tied and stored in plastic boxes with dividers; there is a list on the inside lid; outside is labeled with river/species.

Over 100 books and videos for reference. YouTubes bookmarked as well.

Reactions: M_D

MELinOre

Steelhead
I'm a fan of using MS Excel.

You can create as many tabs for different types of flies. Nymphs, Buggers, Streamers, etc

1st cell in the tab is the name of the fly.

Next cell down insert photo of fly.

Next open cell down begin with your recipe.

If desired, continue with where/when fished/results.

Capture.JPG