What's in your vise?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
little 8" 5 segment bull trout pattern.

Even though I'm pretty good at cutting way back on materials, a lot went into the guts on this. 3 20mm segments in the back: tail, then 2 segments of 2 types of flash with fox, then a 2/0 Ahrex TP610 with bucktail, flash, & saddle hackle, then a 35mm shank up front with bucktail, flash, saddle, FTD big game dubbed head, fish skull.

Once I get her wet, she'll slim down nicely....if (when) I lose this, I might cry.

NHFTPaG.jpg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party

Even though I'm pretty good at cutting way back on materials, a lot went into the guts on this. 3 20mm segments in the back: tail, then 2 segments of 2 types of flash with fox, then a 2/0 Ahrex TP610 with bucktail, flash, & saddle hackle, then a 35mm shank up front with bucktail, flash, saddle, FTD big game dubbed head, fish skull.

Once I get her wet, she'll slim down nicely....if (when) I lose this, I might cry.

NHFTPaG.jpg
When I dream of a perfect bull fly, it doesn't even come close to this. Hold on tight man!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
When I dream of a perfect bull fly, it doesn't even come close to this. Hold on tight man!
Thanks! This is the reason I prefer to throw my 10wt for them.... :LOL:

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

NHFTPaG.jpg

That should cast perfectly on 6X 😂
SF

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
That should cast perfectly on 6X 😂
SF

6x would be a bit ambitious. It's probably more of a 5.5x deal. :p

FYI...

A stunning bull trout Gilbert Rowley caught while fishing a streamer on Euro nymphing leader in a pocket barely big enough to hide this fish.

1658357957180.png

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
6x would be a bit ambitious. It's probably more of a 5.5x deal.

FYI...

View attachment 23713

Thanks for the lesson…...I’ve never caught a bull trout. 🤓
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If it didn’t have the fish skull, I bet it wouldn’t be that bad on an 8wt 🧐
true story...doesn't have a whole lot of actual weight besides that. At some point, I'll tie up something that's unweighted....because, you know, I don't have enough flies.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Some stuff for the coho box. I’ve already tied but 4 dozen stinger clousers. A couple more here, plus some regular clousers, a couple of generic baitfish, a couple of hot head things and even two tube flies because…we’ll, why not. My vice has an attachment for it and until these two, I have never used it.

5E9917BF-EC5D-4947-BF43-322A700F4AA8.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
6x would be a bit ambitious. It's probably more of a 5.5x deal. :p

FYI...

View attachment 23713
soooo, sample size of one....cool. :LOL:

oh, btw, the vast majority of his streamer fish are via non-euro methods. And the majority of his euro bulls are egg patterns....(hint, any time big bulls are caught on video where you can't see the fly, it's 99.9% an egg pattern).

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Building chassis, my least favorite part. Now I can solely enjoy wrapping the soft parts.

View attachment 23715

Lou,
One thing I do to speed things up a bit when building a bunch of those is to go ahead and tie the flash on now, rather then tying it in under the wing since you’ll be cutting the front hook off eventually anyway.
It gives the finished fly pretty much the same appearance.
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Lou,
One thing I do to speed things up a bit when building a bunch of those is to go ahead and tie the flash on now, rather then tying it in under the wing since you’ll be cutting the front hook off eventually anyway.
It gives the finished fly pretty much the same appearance.
SF
Brian, you mean flash on the rear shank?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Brian, you mean flash on the rear shank?

No, I just tie the flash in on top the shank of the front hook, starting from the back of the eyes.
I leave it long enough so it goes at least to the rear hook.
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
No, I just tie the flash in on top the shank of the front hook, starting from the back of the eyes.
I leave it long enough so it goes at least to the rear hook.
SF
Oh right, that's what I meant, rear of the shank. OK makes sense, will try it next time.