Thinning the herd (purging a few fly boxes)

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
There's no doubt in my mind that I have far too many fly boxes and in those, far too many flies. Seriously - on a day when I can't get it figured out, how many change-ups do I make? Maybe a dozen? Maybe 15? And of those dozen or so change-ups, how often do I open all (I won't say how many fly boxes are in my pram or my float tube; obscene?) the boxes: Never. Yet I continue to tie more flies. Why? Duh, it's fun! And when I see a forum member posting a pattern in "What's catching you fish?" (https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/whats-catching-you-fish.40/page-54#post-183025), I have to tie some up.

Okay - over the past couple of windy days, I decided to tie a couple forum member inspired flies but when I opened the fly box to insert the new ties, there simply wasn't room to fit the new miracle "guaranteed" flies into the box. Purge time:

IMG_3849.jpg

There's about 170 flies in the picture ----^ I tossed perhaps 40 or so into the trash (a friend asked me why I don't salvage the hooks). These came from three of the ------ boxes. I have a few more boxes to purge. What the heck do I do with these? Huh. I better go fishing.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
There's no doubt in my mind that I have far too many fly boxes and in those, far too many flies. Seriously - on a day when I can't get it figured out, how many change-ups do I make? Maybe a dozen? Maybe 15? And of those dozen or so change-ups, how often do I open all (I won't say how many fly boxes are in my pram or my float tube; obscene?) the boxes: Never. Yet I continue to tie more flies. Why? Duh, it's fun! And when I see a forum member posting a pattern in "What's catching you fish?" (https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/whats-catching-you-fish.40/page-54#post-183025), I have to tie some up.

Okay - over the past couple of windy days, I decided to tie a couple forum member inspired flies but when I opened the fly box to insert the new ties, there simply wasn't room to fit the new miracle "guaranteed" flies into the box. Purge time:

View attachment 113166

There's about 170 flies in the picture ----^ I tossed perhaps 40 or so into the trash (a friend asked me why I don't salvage the hooks). These came from three of the ------ boxes. I have a few more boxes to purge. What the heck do I do with these? Huh. I better go fishing.

Pat, we all have this problem :). For me, it's size 12-14 bushy dry flies for small creeks.

I always say "I'll give them away" but then I realize I'm purging them because they're not up to my standards so then I'm to embarrassed to give them away and the cycle continues.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Actually @mcswny your flies are probably way better than you think
You could donate them anonymously to a club or something if you want

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Wow Pat, that is a great looking selection of flies... Can't believe those are the purged ones! Those would make a great general lake fishing box (or two).

I have the same problem, tying the latest hot fly that someone on here got me excited about, and then trying to shoe horn them into already overflowing boxes.

What to do with them... if you have any empty boxes you load those up and stash them in your vehicles as "emergency" fly boxes, in the event that you forget your good ones. But I'm guessing you already have a contingent of back up boxes strategically placed in your vehicles and water craft.

You could probably sell them here for a few bucks, or donate them, maybe to PHW or if you know any young up and coming flyfishers.

Andy

dep

Steelhead
after getting a peek into what you use, I feel good about my fly selections that I use

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Pat,
I need to do the same, but with my saltwater boxes. I’m not sure how many clousers I have here, but it is a lot. Yet I continue to tie more. 😉
Part of my plans in retirement is to downsize everything, especially my fishing gear.
I’m going to give part of my clouser collection to @Kfish because he needs some patterns with dumbbell eyes, bucktail and palmer chenille. 😂
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Those all look fine to me, but maybe my standards are too low.

Leeches to last a lifetime on that big sheet.
:)

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Pat,
I need to do the same, but with my saltwater boxes. I’m not sure how many clousers I have here, but it is a lot. Yet I continue to tie more. 😉
Part of my plans in retirement is to downsize everything, especially my fishing gear.
I’m going to give part of my clouser collection to @Kfish because he needs some patterns with dumbbell eyes, bucktail and palmer chenille. 😂
SF

Good idea Brian. I've been thinking for a while that we should start up a collection for poor Lou! While we're at it we could all tie up a couple src patterns with schlappen collars to donate to @jasmillo . I am sure he's lacking in that department

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Good idea Brian. I've been thinking for a while that we should start up a collection for poor Lou! While we're at it we could all tie up a couple src patterns with schlappen collars to donate to @jasmillo . I am sure he's lacking in that department

Thanks that would be appreciated. I’m also in the market for any fly with palmered peach marabou. I’ve expanded my horizons as of late.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
We all have flies we never use. I end up using about 8 different freshwater lake patterns and maybe 6 saltwater ones. These are my "confidence" flies and I feel uncomfortable using others. But I still tie others..why?

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I was feeling a bit guilty about scarfing up those flies. I meant the comment as a joke, though in retrospect…. It really wasn’t that funny. But, sure!