Chongus Lake (PB alert)

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Decided to try a low density spot in hopes of a big fish. After dropping off my son at school I packed up and had the pleasure of chatting with @Buzzy on a short hike in. He went left and I went right.

20240502_093114.jpg

It didn't take long and I had my first solid grab and fish. A nice chunky football:

20240502_094352.jpg

In the first hour I got three fish all fat in the 17 to 19 inch range. I was very happy with my start! These fish were freaking strong!

20240502_100234.jpg

It was a beautiful day with a slight breeze:

20240502_112640.jpg

Trespasser 😁

20240502_140952.jpg

Another chunky bow:

20240502_115711.jpg

And another:

20240502_100343.jpg

I was up to 6 fish with a few misses and a few long distance releases when my friend @Starman77 called to say he was on his hike in. At this point in the day I was very content but I did wonder since all my fish were 17 to 19 if there was a few with another year of growth to them.

All day long I had used one fly. An olive jig craw off my type 5. This is becoming my go to confidence fly.

What worked for me was throwing to the edges and then slow and steady retrieving it into the deep. I made a cast into a small but deep cove and got absolutely slammed by a bigger fish. It took off into the deep. I could tell it was significantly bigger then what I had been catching. When it jumped my jaw absolutely dropped. I kept looking up the hill to see if Rex was arriving. I even called him mid fight because I knew this fish was that special and was hoping he was just about there but it simply wasn't meant to be.

I've been blessed with a lot of nice rainbows but this fish just dwarfed them in girth. This is a fry plant fish. It wasn't released from a hatchery this big. Truely a spectacular fish:
20240502_125827.jpg

20240502_125746.jpg

20240502_125904.jpg

It's hard to take photos that showed just how fat this fish was but I think this one shows it best:

Screenshot_20240502_143708_Gallery.jpg

I think 8 pounds is an accurate guess and maybe even conservative. Rex showed up shortly after releasing it. I of course told him all about it😁 I caught another fish as we caught up talking and then had to head home in time to take my son to his baseball game.

20240502_143443.jpg

20240502_135928.jpg

Until next time🍻
Billy

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
That is a super chunk rainbow, no doubt!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Love it! Great report, even greater fish. That last one is an absolute UNIT.

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My apologies for arriving late and not being able to be the official photographer and witness to Billy catching this monster fish! This seep lake doesn't give up fish easily, and Billy's outing yesterday tied my best outing to this lake, and his monster fish is the largest fish I've yet seen from this lake, or for that matter, from any of the seep lakes. The girth on that fish is really amazing. Billy released all the fish, so they are still in there. The early bird got the fish, as on the afternoon shift I must have hit the afternoon doldrums or something, or Billy educated all the fish, as I only hooked one fish, of about 17 inches. The small seep lakes aren't the easiest to find, hike into or fish, but you can see that sometimes they can be very rewarding.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Billy writes: "Decided to try a low density spot in hopes of a big fish. After dropping off my son at school I packed up and had the pleasure of chatting with @Buzzy on a short hike in. He went left and I went right."

I shoulda taken the right turn. Well done, very, very well done!

tombraider

LG
Forum Supporter
Holly Godzilla man, what size a hook to do that ? I see you have a sounder on that FC, what was the water temp ? Headed East this week, thinking I need some bigger hooks. Thanks

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Nice report and solid fish. I don't think there is a stronger fighting trout than a wild or fry planted Rainbow from a high desert stillwater caught in the Spring or late Fall that has the opportunity to grow past the 16 inch mark. The athletes of the trout world, except that pig of a trout can be classified as a defensive lineman, the Chris Jones of the lake :).

Well done.

Peach

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Now imagine sitting at work and receiving these pics as a text message. FOMO kicks in hard!

Or, it is awesome to live vicariously through your fishing buddies adventures when you can’t be there yourself!

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
What a beast of a trout Billy! It must’ve been a thrill landing it. Congratulations!