Mega-stoke "reboot"

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So, SIX MONTHS after putting our house on the market, and making an offer on 2+ acres of river front land the same week, we are FINALLY signing papers at the title company.

What an ordeal. First doing a damn near full remodel of our old house, moving into a rental, and then working out a house plan to fit the extremely limited buildable footprint of the river property. The problem there was due to a "road" easement for a boat launch that washed out in '96.

There were so many delays we thought we lost it twice when our closing deadline expired. Thankfully the sellers didn't have cash offers waiting in the wings This has been one the biggest PITA's we've ever been through. Still plenty of construction stress ahead this summer but I can finally say this WILL be our future backyard!!!

Attachments

• 20211210_125017.jpg
    20211210_125017.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20211210_101210.jpg
    20211210_101210.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210814_141803.jpg
    20210814_141803.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210814_141730.jpg
    20210814_141730.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210814_141515.jpg
    20210814_141515.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210814_140930.jpg
    20210814_140930.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210814_140927.jpg
    20210814_140927.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
That is exciting!

Just about any lot that isn’t already developed will be what most folks consider a huge PIA to develop. There are many people that make their living developing and building homes and selling them so why would there be any one of kind property that hasn’t already been built and sold in a desirable location?

The time it was easy to just build whatever wherever ended over 50 years ago. I ask the OP how many homes they have built on undeveloped land my guess is the answer is none? Most people have no idea what standards go into building a new home but there are thousands of them and many of them are required by banks and insurance companies to make your home a true asset they can bank on. So in the end, you will have something that holds value and can be sold/purchased with hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars of other people’s money.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Congratulations, looks really nice!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did they vacate the easement?
We just didnt have time to deal with the easement. Fortunately I was able to work out a solution but it required downsizing the ready to go septic design from 4 bedrooms to 3. That's all we need anyway. Thankfully the septic design folks turned my scribbles into an approved plan - over the holidays no less. Not sure we'd have pulled it off otherwise.

Once we're in there I can deal with the effing easement. Plenty of room for a nice big shop!

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
TWO EFFING YEARS LATER...

Had the easement vacated early last year, wasn't nearly as difficult or expensive as I thought. Then another 6 months to find an acceptable spot for the well and get it drilled. Then more permit red tape... Family issues/distractions.... yadda-yadda. BUT We're finally starting construction. Foundation forms go in today!

Screenshot_20240411_101403_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
TWO EFFING YEARS LATER...

Had the easement vacated early last year, wasn't nearly as difficult or expensive as I thought. Then another 6 months to find an acceptable spot for the well and get it drilled. Then more permit red tape... Family issues/distractions.... yadda-yadda. BUT We're finally starting construction. Foundation forms go in today!

View attachment 110296
That's gotta feel good. Hopin' it's smooth sailing for you from here on.

Cheers

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Wahoo!!! (and not in the fishy sense, but you never know...). That must be a huge relief to begin to see your vision become reality.
Steve

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I hope you are young enough to enjoy it for decades to come.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Congratulations! Most of us only dream of what you're accomplishing. Keep the pictures coming!
Thanks. Hopefully this doesn't come across as bragging because, in addition to the ordeal of getting to this point, we were extremely lucky to pull it off. Yes, we are fortunate to have good paying, stable jobs. Doing OK, considering our combined poor life choices, and curveballs, but we're not what I would consider "wealthy". I also have mixed feelings about adding to development on a very special and sensitive river, but I plan to get involved with conservation efforts. Also sure this property would have sold at some point, and not sure it would've ended up belonging to someone with a stewardship mentality.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I hope you are young enough to enjoy it for decades to come.

Half joking, I told my wife we should build a ski jump style ramp to the river. So when I decline to the point I need full time care, just launch me in my wheelchair into the crick..

Seriously though, I'm hoping the vertical nature of property itself will help keep me younger and more fit.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thanks. Hopefully this doesn't come across as bragging because, in addition to the ordeal of getting to this point, we were extremely lucky to pull it off. Yes, we are fortunate to have good paying, stable jobs. Doing OK, considering our combined poor life choices, and curveballs, but we're not what I would consider "wealthy". I also have mixed feelings about adding to development on a very special and sensitive river, but I plan to get involved with conservation efforts. Also sure this property would have sold at some point, and not sure it would've ended up belonging to someone with a stewardship mentality.
I've followed you on WFF and we BC'd on a few topics. I have no doubt in my mind you and your spouse will be great stewards of this special property; you've both worked hard to be able to make this awesome change. Stoked for you both.