Non-Fly Springers fishing. Photo heavy

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Uhm, no. There is no betting eating fish than a Columbia River spring run Chinook salmon. Based on my unscientific experiment of eating Chinook from as many different stocks of Chinook as I could, including Alaska's Copper River king salmon.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t fish for them because I’m not set up with the right boat and gear, but we LOVE going to Anthony’s in Richland and enjoying them in the spring. It’s an expensive meal and worth it. Undoubtedly far less than fuel and guide service to fish for them. But, a spring trip for them is on my bucket list.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
One of my favorite fisheries is plunking for Springers. Kick back with my stadium seat cushion under a nice shade tree, cold beverage and an occasional cigar. Damn, I love it..

@PnwChrome great job! I know it's still early but how is your fishing comparing to previous years? Fingers crossed this is a decent run. With the dam counts where they are and the big river running a little warmer than previous years, the counts should be higher if it's a big run, but who knows...,

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
One of my favorite fisheries is plunking for Springers. Kick back with my stadium seat cushion under a nice shade tree, cold beverage and an occasional cigar. Damn, I love it..

@PnwChrome great job! I know it's still early but how is your fishing comparing to previous years? Fingers crossed this is a decent run. With the dam counts where they are and the big river running a little warmer than previous years, the counts should be higher if it's a big run, but who knows...,
Honestly I think we have destroyed our early run fish, vast majority of our spring run shows up later this month through May and into June, the conditions are not great for plunkers this year but pretty good for boats, I think folks have forgotten how to fish for these early springers and where to be in lower water conditions. But saying that I will know more come April 18th or so where this run stands, if I had to guess I would say it will be on par or slightly lower than last year. But plenty around to get if your doing it right.... I had 6 trips in the lower river (not guiding) and we bonked 8 and released two so there is fish around.

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
My boat is just about all rigged up. I made the shakedown trip last week and donated some herring to the river. Hoping to get some fresh springer slabs on the grill here soon!
Come on man your late to the 🥳

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Uhm, no. There is no betting eating fish than a Columbia River spring run Chinook salmon. Based on my unscientific experiment of eating Chinook from as many different stocks of Chinook as I could, including Alaska's Copper River king salmon.
I'm with you, spring Chinook are fantastic table fare (I guess I need to go to Anthony's to get some, eh, Mark?).

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Solid work Mike. Been too busy to even think about fishing lately. I might have time later this month, or into May if you still have seats then.

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
Solid work Mike. Been too busy to even think about fishing lately. I might have time later this month, or into May if you still have seats then.
I have one or two seats left in May that's about it , pretty much completely booked for springers if you want a seat call soon as possible we can figure it out.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shoot. Probably best if I wait til URB season. Too many irons in fire right now. After almost 2 years being stuck in permits, we're finally about to start construction on our house.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Those black face springers are indeed the best salmon in the World!!!

A couple decades of focusing the Lower River harvest on the earliest portion has had to alter the run timing as well as condensing that timing.

Curt