Tying Soft Hackle Flies

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For those new to this subject and are searching for Pearsall's silk you should know that Pearsall's was bought by Morus Silk about 5 to 10 years ago. They have done a good job replicating the thread and colors of the original Pearsall's. Look for their Superfine silk filament.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you really want to get into the weeds with this subject get this book.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I bought some black cobbler's wax and was waxing primrose yellow with it for Greenwells Glory wet flies. Made a nice translucent green/dun. Kind of a PITA to do, but it's fun trying out traditional methods on these traditional flies.
The Greenwells Glory is one of my favorite alpine lake wet flies. I also wax pearsalls primrose tying silk (not to be confused with the heavier pearsalls floss) with brown cobblers wax. Produces a lovely olive brown body. I have one fly box which consists of nothing but Greenwells wet flies, Greenwells spiders and Greenwells dries...If you made me do all my alpine lake fishing this one box I'd be just fine.
1F20F1DF-5E74-456C-8BCB-2019301D7D4B_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Greenwells Glory is one of my favorite alpine lake wet flies. I also wax pearsalls primrose tying silk (not to be confused with the heavier pearsalls floss) with brown cobblers wax. Produces a lovely olive brown body. I have one fly box which consists of nothing but Greenwells wet flies, Greenwells spiders and Greenwells dries...If you made me do all my alpine lake fishing this one box I'd be just fine.
View attachment 106360
I think my wax is a very dark brown, not black like I said above. I never got the hang of keeping a bit of wax on my hand while tying.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I think my wax is a very dark brown, not black like I said above. I never got the hang of keeping a bit of wax on my hand while tying.
I bought both the light and dark cobblers wax from feathers mc. I use the dark cobblers wax on Greenwells. I keep the wax room temp and then run a short section of thread through the wax before using. The friction of the thread going through the wax melts the wax around the thread.
D8C45051-1E1C-4278-9983-D03F518B356C.jpeg

Last edited:

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
There might be some nuggets in this reading list...

Selected Wet Fly Literature:

W.C. Stewart’s The Practical Angler, 1857

T.E. Pritt Yorkshire Flies, 1885 and North Country Flies, 1886

H.H. Edmonds and N.N. Lee's Brook and River Trouting, 1916

G.E.M. Skues The Way of a Trout with a Fly, 1921

G.E.M. Skues Nymph Fishing For Chalk Stream Trout, 1939

James Leisenring and Vernon Hidy The Art of Tying the Wet Fly, 1941

James Leisenring and Vernon Hidy The Art of Tying the Wet Fly and Fishing the
Flymph, 1971

Vernon Hidy Sports Illustrated Wet Fly Fishing, 1961

Vernon Hidy Sports Illustrated Fly Fishing, 1972

Vernon Hidy The Art of Fishing the Flymph – Pt. I The Flymph Phenomenon, Fly-Fisherman magazine, 1971

VernonHidy Fishing the Flymph - II The Dry Fly and the Flymph: A Parallel, Fly-Fisherman magazine, 1971

Vernon Hidy Soft-Hackled Nymphs-The Flymphs chapter in The Masters on the Nymph, 1979

Sylvester Nemes The Soft-Hackled Fly, 1975

Sylvester Nemes The Soft-Hackled Fly Addict, 1981

Sylvester Nemes Soft-Hackled Fly Imitations, 1991

Sylvester Nemes The Soft-Hackled Fly: A Trout Fisherman’s Guide, 1993

Sylvester Nemes Spinners, 1995

Sylvester Nemes Two Centuries of Soft Hackled Flies, 2004

Dave Hughes Wet Flies – Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackles, Winged and Wingless Wets, and Fuzzy Nymphs, 1995

Allen McGee Soft-Hackled Nymphs due out in 2005

http://flymph.com/html/articles.html

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
After a day of fishing in the park, we stopped in West Yellowstone for dinner and a drink and encountered a fellow fly angler sitting at the bar enjoying a double scotch on the rocks which had apparently loosened his tongue and he was boasting of his great day on the Firehole. We had fished there and had some moderate success while trying to avoid buffalo and decided to buy him another double scotch to squeeze out more info as to what he was using. He made the comment that Sylvester Nemes could have put everything he knows about soft hackles into just one book but we were more interested in learning exactly what flies he had used rather than defending Sylvester and to do that bought him another double. His answer was budweiser soft hackles and LGFs LGFs? Turned out they little green f*ckers. He then decided he'd had enough to drink and left. So that's all the info we got. This was in 1994 and we still laugh about it.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Softhackles are magic. I've found ones I tied with the partridge skin Zen Leecher gave me are a touch extra special.
Spent the morning on the lakes, so I hit the river behind guys throwing spinners, shrimp and bobbers, and beads. The silly little hares ear softhackle pulled more than they had said they got all day. This may even be the one I posted above with an extra turn of grouse.

Attachments

• 1711552361693.png
    1711552361693.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240326_ff.jpg
    20240326_ff.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 12

Flymph

Steelhead
There might be some nuggets in this reading list...

Selected Wet Fly Literature:

W.C. Stewart’s The Practical Angler, 1857

T.E. Pritt Yorkshire Flies, 1885 and North Country Flies, 1886

H.H. Edmonds and N.N. Lee's Brook and River Trouting, 1916

G.E.M. Skues The Way of a Trout with a Fly, 1921

G.E.M. Skues Nymph Fishing For Chalk Stream Trout, 1939

James Leisenring and Vernon Hidy The Art of Tying the Wet Fly, 1941

James Leisenring and Vernon Hidy The Art of Tying the Wet Fly and Fishing the
Flymph, 1971

Vernon Hidy Sports Illustrated Wet Fly Fishing, 1961

Vernon Hidy Sports Illustrated Fly Fishing, 1972

Vernon Hidy The Art of Fishing the Flymph – Pt. I The Flymph Phenomenon, Fly-Fisherman magazine, 1971

VernonHidy Fishing the Flymph - II The Dry Fly and the Flymph: A Parallel, Fly-Fisherman magazine, 1971

Vernon Hidy Soft-Hackled Nymphs-The Flymphs chapter in The Masters on the Nymph, 1979

Sylvester Nemes The Soft-Hackled Fly, 1975

Sylvester Nemes The Soft-Hackled Fly Addict, 1981

Sylvester Nemes Soft-Hackled Fly Imitations, 1991

Sylvester Nemes The Soft-Hackled Fly: A Trout Fisherman’s Guide, 1993

Sylvester Nemes Spinners, 1995

Sylvester Nemes Two Centuries of Soft Hackled Flies, 2004

Dave Hughes Wet Flies – Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackles, Winged and Wingless Wets, and Fuzzy Nymphs, 1995

Allen McGee Soft-Hackled Nymphs due out in 2005

http://flymph.com/html/articles.html
Many moons ago there were sections of the Firehole that brought about vicious "smacks" from the fat, chocolate-colored, browns right near the end of the Leisenring "Lift"! Always thought this was the lazy man's dry fly because there was always a surface visual disturbance of some proportion. Never had to worry about applying Gink and could fish one fly for a long time. A few Hare's ear Spiders in size 14 and sometimes 16 were all you needed.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
After a day of fishing in the park, we stopped in West Yellowstone for dinner and a drink and encountered a fellow fly angler sitting at the bar enjoying a double scotch on the rocks which had apparently loosened his tongue and he was boasting of his great day on the Firehole. We had fished there and had some moderate success while trying to avoid buffalo and decided to buy him another double scotch to squeeze out more info as to what he was using. He made the comment that Sylvester Nemes could have put everything he knows about soft hackles into just one book but we were more interested in learning exactly what flies he had used rather than defending Sylvester and to do that bought him another double. His answer was budweiser soft hackles and LGFs LGFs? Turned out they little green f*ckers. He then decided he'd had enough to drink and left. So that's all the info we got. This was in 1994 and we still laugh about it.
Was that at the Stagecoach bar?