What's in your vise?

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Went on a Murdich kick and some random attractors. Just got a new glass rod so I had to make a few dries despite being a ways off from fishing em

Attachments

• IMG_4754.jpeg
    IMG_4754.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4737.jpeg
    IMG_4737.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4745.jpeg
    IMG_4745.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4750.jpeg
    IMG_4750.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4752.jpeg
    IMG_4752.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 21

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks @Zak I hate and suck at tying proper humpies so I mixed in some foam and also used the hippie stomper for some inspiration. Plus where I’m fishing these, I wanted something light and easy to see (and white foam was handy…).

@Kfish burnt goose shoulder? Sound interesting and like some bbq. Is this a self sourced material?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Thanks @Zak I hate and suck at tying proper humpies so I mixed in some foam and also used the hippie stomper for some inspiration. Plus where I’m fishing these, I wanted something light and easy to see (and white foam was handy…).

@Kfish burnt goose shoulder? Sound interesting and like some bbq. Is this a self sourced material?
Nah it’s available commercially, it’s a substitute for heron feathers. I think they bleach it (burning) to get it supple like heron. It’s useful for classic steelhead flies I used to tie.

Scottp

Legend
Rainbow Sow Bug

53516458227_a0bbc898db_c.jpg

53516458232_16aba59fce_c.jpg

53517662639_bf1c80d5f8_c.jpg

hook - Dai Riki 135 #16
thread - Uni 8/0 fluoro orange
underbody - .015 non-tox
rib - small wire silver
shellback - Sexi-floss brown
body - Sow/Scud Dubbing rainbow

Regards,
Scott

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Agreed on the biot being too long. I'll chop it down.
Probably means my tail on the other fly is too long also.

The age old question of function/does it catch fish vs "but this one looks pretty" lol.

Bug seems thin but wide. So if we really want to mimic, how do we achieve? (Wire tied on either side of hook with thin dubbing over it?)
You can wrap a lead abdomen and squash it down flat with pliers then dub over that.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
First shot at a straggle skwala emerger (help, I fell of my rock and got dunked) in 8 3xl w/ 4.8mm bead for heavy flow sections. Put hares ear under the straggle in back, and golden under the olive up front. Maybe it could be a touch fatter, but this will sink. Gonna try some barred legs and different beads too.
20240208_171741.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Is the bead for looks, or so you don't have to use lead wire to keep it in place, or ..? I like the idea of not having to use lead wire with a cone-head.
The bead is for looks. This is a Brian Chan pattern he calls the "Ruby Eyed Leech". (Actually, a leech has 10 eyes.) The cone head gives it weight for sure but no reason some weighted wire couldn't be added as well if wanted.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Well, I can't compete with the fashion side of things like I'm seeing on here recently, so I'm going for function alone with zero fashion.

I seem to keep getting my nayat steelhead flash strippers right at 4", so I guess I'm fishin' 4" next time out. Basically just looking for the same jerk bait type action I shoot for with most of my smallie baitfish patterns....This basic style has been tried and true in that regard.

PXL_20240209_024309355~2.jpg

PXL_20240209_023801061~2.jpg