Bread Thread

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got a few new things from King Arthur, a pan for French loaves or baguettes and a proofing bowl that you can use to stamp you bread with a design. Plus some pizza dough flavoring..

I'm also trying to figure out why my bread in my dutch oven turns out flat despite how long i let it proof. The first picture is a loaf I'm currently let it do its thing. I know its cold and sometimes turn up the gas oven to heat up the kitchen as well as turn the heat up. This loaf was started over 48 hours ago. My bread is tasty, but very dense with a tough crust. It is fun to figure it out, but I guess ive of the mindset that more time is a good thing.. it may not be the case though.

Last I've started to premix my starter flour that I use to feed it. 75% AP and 25% whole wheat flour. Both King Arthur. It's working well as I feed my starter 3 or 4 hours ago and it's close to doubled... time to start something new!! Cheers!!View attachment 99515
View attachment 99511View attachment 99512View attachment 99513
Bill, have you tried pizza seasoning? It makes a world of difference. I buy the stuff from Frontier Co-op by the pound package and use it not only generously on my pizza but also garlic bread and any spaghetti or pasta dishes. Pennzy's also makes a good one, fennel is the magic ingredient in this stuff and makes the house smell like a pizza parlor!

flybill

Life of the Party
Bill, have you tried pizza seasoning? It makes a world of difference. I buy the stuff from Frontier Co-op by the pound package and use it not only generously on my pizza but also garlic bread and any spaghetti or pasta dishes. Pennzy's also makes a good one, fennel is the magic ingredient in this stuff and makes the house smell like a pizza parlor!
I haven't, but almost bought it on my King Arthur order. Not sure we have that co-op here, but know I can order the seasoning on Amazon and get free shipping. Or will try the Pennzy's! Will give it a try! Thanks Ive!!

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
A water related question. Has anyone had difficulty changing from hard water to soft water or vice versa? On the Frozen Tundra I have soft water but down here in Colbert the water is very hard, even difficult to soap up in the shower. Since I got here my baking just hasn't been the same. At first I suspected the oven temp wasn't accurate but the purchase of a good thermometer proved that idea wrong, it seems to be dead on.

Biscuits seem to be just fine since they use buttermilk instead of water but the bread isn't rising as much and the crumb is more dense than before. I just can't get the loaves to pop and be the beauties I make at home. I like to share my bread with friends but so far haven't made anything I am proud of.

Any theories on hard water versus soft water?
It's been my experience that hard water makes no difference in quality of the the crumb or proof. Some would say the harder the water the better. Are you sure it's not a chlorine issue.

flybill

Life of the Party
Was reading about this? Anyone played around with Tangzhong.. on my list of things to try.. easy enough to do, just a little more time!

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
Was reading about this? Anyone played around with Tangzhong.. on my list of things to try.. easy enough to do, just a little more time!

Used it twice today, once for the cinnamon rolls this morning
IMG_20240114_101137575.jpg
And again for the loaf that is fermenting in the fridge right now.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
This is my first try at bagels. I followed the recipe here https://www.theperfectloaf.com/sourdough-bagel/#tasty-recipes-12178-jump-target

With the exception that I used 50% central milling high mountain and 50% Cairnspring Glacier Peak.

How do they look after shaping? They are doing the second proof before an overnight retard.
View attachment 100379
They look great. Put them in the fridge now. Don't do a second proof. They will collapse when boiled, and won't recover during the bake.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
They look great. Put them in the fridge now. Don't do a second proof. They will collapse when boiled, and won't recover during the bake.
Bulk was only 3.5 hours at 74 degrees, I figured they'd have plenty of juice left for 2 more hours at 68 degrees. This is in line with the recipe directions. I did put them in the fridge when I saw your comment, but they were 9n the counter for about 90 minutes. I'll pray to the fermentation gods for a good outcome.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
I bulk proof until it just doubled. Shape,, then into the fridge. They sink when you drop the into the boiling water, but quickly rise to the surface. I boil for a minute on each side in 0.5-1.5% lye water. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then at 375 for about 10. I throw ice on the oven as I put the bagels in. Also, for bagels, Silpat is your friend.