What's in your vise?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Beautiful flies! Your lighting for these photos is great, how did you do that?
Here’s my setup, don’t laugh haha
Cardboard box lined with aluminum foil inside, paper top for diffused overhead light. Ring light in front. Background is black foam sheet that will bokeh out nicely around f3.2 and wider.
Cellphone camera is good but a real camera will really get all the details especially with a smaller fly. I have a compact Sony a6500 mirrorless.

IMG_1818.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cardboard box lined with aluminum foil inside, paper top for diffused overhead light. Ring light in front. Background is black foam sheet that will bokeh out nicely around f3.2 and wider.
Cellphone camera is good but a real camera will really get all the details especially with a smaller fly. I have a compact Sony a6500 mirrorless.

View attachment 94857
Proof a good photo relies on the person making the shot, not the camera or the price tag of the equipment. Well done!

Zak

Legend

View attachment 94857
Thanks, cool setup!

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

View attachment 94857
High tech setup… 🤘🏼😁🤘🏼

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 94857
Disappointed Lou. I always took you for a 5x man.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Inspired by @Steve Vaughn I threw together my prototype version of the Ned Rig fly tonight.
To avoid trademark infringement I hereby christen it the "Fred Rig fly". 😁
I've not done a fly SBS before and this is a far cry from being able to be called one.
Here we go.
Hook; sz 1/0 60° jig hook.
Body; medium crystal chenille
Under body; medium black chenille
Tail; 3/16" thick foam punched out disks
Body extension; 60# monofilament
Body ext. buoyancy foam. Medium round foam
Bead; brass 3/16" chrome backed up with 4-5 lead wire wraps

Hook with foam wrapped mono extension.
With a large eyed needle I threaded a 3/4" piece of round foam onto the mono
after lashing the mono to the hook from hookeye to hook bend. Strengthen the wraps with Superglue.
Then to the tail step.
Note start with 8" 60# mono and don't cut it until tail disks are glued in place.
Foam tail disks are threaded through center of foam punch outs with drop of superglue between them.
Run them up to the hook bend then tie a tight over hand knot in the mono where the end of fly is to be. Mine is 3 1/2" eye to tip of tail.
Then slide the foam disk back towards the knot. I coated the last 1/2" of the mono with superglue then slid the disks back firmly so the knot went slightly into the disk.
I wrapped a thin scrap of foam between tail and yellow foam to stiffen the mono and add floatation.
20231215_213730.jpgNext fasten the crystal chenille in front of the foam tail and wrap thread forward to the eye securing the added foam floatation. Make extra wraps where the foam meets the hook bend to help stiffen the connection there.
20231215_220305.jpg
Wrap crystal chenille tightly forward.I used super glue to help bind chenille to the fly.
I added medium chenille to the hook portion as a base to thicken the body.
Also doubled the crystal chenille as a single wrap looked too thin for my liking.
20231215_220431.jpg
The finished prototype.
Overall It came out looking like I'd hoped it would.
I would get some bigger cones or beads
and thicker chenille for the next time.
And try it on a straight shank hook as well.
I'll do a test float tomorrow to see how it behaves in the water.
20231215_220341.jpg