What's in your vise?

RichS

Life of the Party
A night/low light diving bug.
nightfly1.JPG
This is what happens when you don't pull straight down when attaching stacked bundles of deer hair. Fortunately, the bass don't care.
nightfly2.JPG
Hook: Kona XSS #1/0
Weed Guard: 20# Mason hard mono
Tail: Hyperflex paddle tail and hackle feathers
Collar 1: rooster feathers
Collar 2: deer hair
Body: Black over chartreuse over black deer
legs: chartreuse barred black silicone
Eyes: 6 MM glow in the dark

Bongoman

Life of the Party
Thought I'd post my biggest screw up of the week. I spent hours and hours this week tying a Silver Doctor full feather wing. After about 15 times trying to get the wings set without the strips separating before they were tied in and at the right angle plus be able to cut off the excess before adding the horns I thought I nailed it tied off the most perfect head I've ever done applied the UV hit it with the light sat back in my chair hoping to pat myself on the back and noticed I FORGOT THE FLIPPING JC
😭

silver doctor2.jpg

Last edited:

Scottp

Legend
Golden Olive Muddler (variation)

53369887534_8711f1d6c5_c.jpg

53369887529_3f2895f497_c.jpg

53369766393_da5be9eec6_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - UTC 140 woodduck
tag - small tinsel opal
rib - small wire gold
body - Swiss Straw dyed golden olive (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/8 Tsp Rit Tan/2 cups water)
hackle - dyed golden olive
shoulder - partridge dyed golden olive
wing - deer hair dyed golden olive
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

flybill

Life of the Party
Golden Olive Muddler (variation)

53369887534_8711f1d6c5_c.jpg

53369887529_3f2895f497_c.jpg

53369766393_da5be9eec6_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - UTC 140 woodduck
tag - small tinsel opal
rib - small wire gold
body - Swiss Straw dyed golden olive (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/8 Tsp Rit Tan/2 cups water)
hackle - dyed golden olive
shoulder - partridge dyed golden olive
wing - deer hair dyed golden olive
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott
Love the fly! I hate tying with deer hair, or more specifically trimming deer hair.. and the mess it makes!

Scottp

Legend
I hate tying with deer hair, or more specifically trimming deer hair.. and the mess it makes!

I understand, but the stupid trout I fish for on little blue lines love them (and they really don’t care how neat the heads are); a waste bag under the vise catches most of the mess.

Regards,
Scott

Reactions: Zak

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Thought I'd post my biggest screw up of the week. I spent hours and hours this week tying a Silver Doctor full feather wing. After about 15 times trying to get the wings set without the strips separating before they were tied in and at the right angle plus be able to cut off the excess before adding the horns I thought I nailed it tied off the most perfect head I've ever done applied the UV hit it with the light sat back in my chair hoping to pat myself on the back and noticed I FORGOT THE FLIPPING JC
😭

View attachment 93324
Now you can fish with it (y)

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Sat down to try a woven nymph. FTS. My hands won't do it. At least not today. Threw some simiseal and grouse on it instead. 20231203_092349.jpg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
😭

View attachment 93324
Oh man that hurts! Beautiful tie though… any chance you can surgically remove the head and rework it?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Oh man that hurts! Beautiful tie though… any chance you can surgically remove the head and rework it?
I was thinking this painful misfortune over more... What about a dremmel and a fine detail bit to grind off some of the UV resin on the head, get it back down to the thread. The resin should of soaked in so if you dig into the threads it should still hold. Restart the thread, add the eyes and refinish?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It's just pathetic, but this probably the best attempt at a woven nymph today. So hard to keep the tension right, and then not pick up a bobbin with wrong thread.:) Just not that coordinated. Wrong size wire too. I'll fish this one though and we'll see, something stupid might eat it. This is green wool and yellow floss wove over yellow floss, peacock dub head.
I see lots of videos where people use embroidery thread, but the wife doesn't have any.20231203_141114.jpg

Last edited:

Otter

Steelhead
😭

View attachment 93324
Congratulations on tying a fly that's many times more complicated and beautiful than I'll ever tie!

My old carpentry instructor once told the class that good carpenters aren't the ones who never make mistakes; everyone makes mistakes. Good carpenters are the ones who are good at FIXING their mistakes.

I have zero experience tying such complicated patterns, and have never tied with jungle cock, so I don't know it this will work:
Glue the JC onto the head using a tiny drop of crazy glue, then colour the JC butts with a red felt pen to match the head, then add a thin layer of UV resin all over the head.

In my carpentry work, nobody notices the careful fix-ups I've done, except maybe a super-perfectionist carpenter.

Bongoman

Life of the Party
Congratulations on tying a fly that's many times more complicated and beautiful than I'll ever tie!

My old carpentry instructor once told the class that good carpenters aren't the ones who never make mistakes; everyone makes mistakes. Good carpenters are the ones who are good at FIXING their mistakes.

I have zero experience tying such complicated patterns, and have never tied with jungle cock, so I don't know it this will work:
Glue the JC onto the head using a tiny drop of crazy glue, then colour the JC butts with a red felt pen to match the head, then add a thin layer of UV resin all over the head.

In my carpentry work, nobody notices the careful fix-ups I've done, except maybe a super-perfectionist carpenter.
I can fix it if I wanted to but I'm gonna call it good. The recipe dosen't call for JC anyhow

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's just pathetic, but this probably the best attempt at a woven nymph today. So hard to keep the tension right, and then not pick up a bobbin with wrong thread.:) Just not that coordinated. Wrong size wire too. I'll fish this one though and we'll see, something stupid might eat it. This is green wool and yellow floss wove over yellow floss, peacock dub head.
I see lots of videos where people use embroidery thread, but the wife doesn't have any.View attachment 93395
That will fish just fine!