What's in your vise?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I like your idea of mixing light and dark partridge hackle, sort of like mixing brown and grizzly! The furnace hen does stand out more.
Thanks Zak. I got the idea from Scott to layer hackles and it worked well with that diving caddis. I've been using that style recently on the bird of prey as well.

Reactions: Zak

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
T
Sz. 8 FM5045 4.8mm bead gold ribbed hares ears. Double hackle, 2 w/ light and dark Partridge and 2 have dark Partridge and furnace hen.
View attachment 91197
Well used sz 12
Tom- do you use a tungsten bead on those or just brass? I’m thinking 3/16 tungsten would super heavy

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
T

Tom- do you use a tungsten bead on those or just brass? I’m thinking 3/16 tungsten would super heavy
Tungsten, w/ 5-6 turns weight, and the wire rib. The waters I fish tend to be moderately swift and I like it to touch, even drag, bottom during the drift. I tend to change fly size to get a different bead size instead of lots of one size with different beads. Those are my usual winter or higher flow sized flies. Pretty much I go 16/2.4mm, 14 2.8mm, 12 3.2, 10 3.8 and sz 8 gets 4.8. I'll put on a bead up or down a size from that if I know what to expect.

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Starting to get a little happier with these but it will still be a few weeks until I can give them a try. If anyone volunteers to be a field tester let me know. Enjoying tying flies for the first time in a pretty long while and they have to go somewhere.

PXL_20231119_043125531~2.jpg

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I know many of you have suggested I use a backround so today I am trying. Earlier I was using an orange one. Bad decision since the tail of the fly was orange to. So heres another fly. It is the same pattern but fly number 4. Why a green butt skunk? Because Daniel Ocean is doing something different this year. I am going way down in size. No more intruders and bunny leaches. Its going to be ho bo speys, and sparser, smaller flies. This is an example of literally how basic I am approaching things now. I got some great weed and am on a tying frenzy. 1700372882102.png

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Black-Heron-1080.jpg

Black Heron

Tip - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Peacock herl. Reverse wrapped with fine silver wire
Wing - Dyed black squirrel tail tied low over the body
Hackle - Grizzly tied on as a collar and tied back

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bloack-Maria-1080.jpg

Black Maria

Tip - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Golden pheasant crest feather
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Rear half, yellow floss; the front half, black floss
Hackle - Guinea fowl barbs tied in at the throat
Wing - Black bucktail tied low over the body

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Man, will just have to be a utility fly. LOL
I tend to think mine look fine, until I take a picture:) I'd fish that with confidence, I had a couple bumps and a hookup on a green butt skunk earlier this week and I like yours more!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bucktail-Doctor-1080.jpg

Bucktail Doctor

Tip - Lower half, flat silver tinsel; the upper half, yellow floss
Tail - Golden pheasant crest feather
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Dubbed with black lamb's wool
Hackle - Guinea fowl barbs tied in at the throat
Wing - Natural brown bucktail tied low over the body

Scottp

Legend
Muddled Sharptail Sedgehog

53339302606_751743d477_c.jpg

53339530808_c7a4066553_c.jpg

53339530813_ff5cfc66cd_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 3 #10
thread - SemperFli 8/0 tan
butt - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
tail - deer hair
body - dubbing hare’s ear tan
wing(s) - deer hair
shoulder - sharptail grouse rump
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Blair's Baiter, page 89 Fly Fishing coastal cutthroat trout, I added red for gills.
View attachment 91360

Nice.
Blair Alexander was one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.
I always enjoyed talking to him at Kaufmann’s.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Blair's Baiter, page 89 Fly Fishing coastal cutthroat trout, I added red for gills.
View attachment 91360
Ah I remember as a teen poring through the Kauffman catalog of flies and seeing that one!

Nice looking rendition of it…Are you using bucktail or a synthetic and is there a bead or just the clear fish skull mask?