What's in your vise?

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Resupplying my floating dragonfly nymphs.
View attachment 90925View attachment 90926

Hook: Daiichi 2220 #6
Tail: olive marabou
Body: deer, olive over dirty yellow (I like this stacked body but solid olive works fine)
Legs: brown flexi floss
Eyes: 7 mm foam cylinder, black or olive
Head dubbing- peacock dyed hares ear
You really need to show me how to tie with deer hair. It is possible that while trying to re-create this fly this morning that I broke some Kevlar thread in a pique of anger and a bobbin flew across the room.......

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You really need to show me how to tie with deer hair. It is possible that while trying to re-create this fly this morning that I broke some Kevlar thread in a pique of anger and a bobbin flew across the room.......
That’s hard to do…..with Kevlar

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I hear ya! I've barely progressed from elk hair caddis wings to a muddler head, and I break the thread often. I just tie back into the mess and proceed like it never happened. It doesn't unwrap and the stupid fish still eat it. The productivity of that dragon fly has had me wanting to try it for a while.

.....first time that's ever happened.😉

Did not say whether you trying to spin hair or tie in a hairwing but am going to assume you were spinning and take it from there.
Take your clump, and it can be any size up to the diameter of a pencil or hook-gape wide, and hold it up to the hook at the tie in point, throw 2 or 3 loose wraps around the clump, just enough to grip the hair and hold it in place. With the thread and bobbin hanging straight down, tighten gently so that the thread wraps grip the hair and spins it around the hook shank as the loops tighten. Using Kevlar, be mindful of using too much tension as you can cut the deer hair.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
.....first time that's ever happened.😉

Did not say whether you trying to spin hair or tie in a hairwing but am going to assume you were spinning and take it from there.
Take your clump, and it can be any size up to the diameter of a pencil or hook-gape wide, and hold it up to the hook at the tie in point, throw 2 or 3 loose wraps around the clump, just enough to grip the hair and hold it in place. With the thread and bobbin hanging straight down, tighten gently so that the thread wraps grip the hair and spins it around the hook shank as the loops tighten. Using Kevlar, be mindful of using too much tension as you can cut the deer hair.
Actually I was trying to stack deer hair. I can spin it fairly well, but have been working on stacking it so I can tie some bass bugs. It’s been a work in progress. After corresponding with Rich I was able to do a much better job on the next bug, but unfortunately I trimmed it too close and cut the thread, then it all unraveled. Oh well, I’ll try again tomorrow.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I like these! They look a bit like a fly Orvis used to sell called the FlexiFish, which was my most successful Striper fly. On that fly, the tail was the body tube material, extended and frayed.
Actually never heard of those but I did play a bit with something that might be similar. Fed some colored synthetic into the braid and added a hint of gills. Will try with some other materials inside. No idea what it will look like in the water or how it will ride when fished. Kinda fun to mess with however. Edit: Just had a thought. Maybe suggest the gills with a red tungsten bead perhaps giving it a "jiggy" action when stripped although it should sink quite readily as is.

PXL_20231118_210827802.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Sz. 8 FM5045 4.8mm bead gold ribbed hares ears. Double hackle, 2 w/ light and dark Partridge and 2 have dark Partridge and furnace hen.
20231118_175048.jpg
Well used sz 12

Attachments

• 20231117_124630.jpg
    20231117_124630.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: