What is this fine netting for?

Zak

Legend
I bought a mystery grab box of tackle at a thrift shop for ten bucks. There's about ten bucks worth of fly tying material in the box, plus lures and lead etc.

There are several 'skeins' of this very fine and fragile netting:
PXL_20230918_213339312.jpg
What's it for? I'm guessing maybe it is for making bunches of eggs, but that stuff is usually egg colored.

Maybe it is a minnow gill net?

Last edited:

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I bought a mystery grab box of tackle at a thrift shop for ten bucks. There's about ten bucks worth of fly tying material in the box, plus lures and lead etc.

There are several 'skeins' of this very fine and fragile netting:
View attachment 82676
What's it for? I'm guessing maybe it is for making bunches of eggs, but that stuff is usually egg colored.

Maybe it is a minnow gill net?
That my friend is a hairnet. Or at least a dead ringer for one.

Zak

Legend
It flattens out into a single layer rectangle. There are maybe identical 15-20 pieces of it this size. that makes me think it was some kind of smelt or bait gill net that someone cut into smaller pieces.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
DRIFT: I bought some boobies (booby flies) years ago from a Brit, he used nylon stocking material to encapsulate his "booby eyes" (I don't think that's what you have, Zak).

Reactions: Zak

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
It flattens out into a single layer rectangle. There are maybe identical 15-20 pieces of it this size. that makes me think it was some kind of smelt or bait gill net that someone cut into smaller pieces.
A hairnet for blockheads?

Zak

Legend
Anyone want a bunch of lead sinkers (including some 'fancy' ones) and treble hooks? I'll put up a free stuff post but happy to give it away here, too.

Zak

Legend
River seine net for Giant Toebiter waterbeetles?
True story: A giant toebiter water beetle saw me from the water, came up into the rock I was standing on in my Chacos, and chased me off it.

I think they grow up to be Dobson flies, which also scare me.

Zak

Legend
It is used to fish for gars. The teeth of the Gar would get stuck in the netting.
In Vermont people fish for gar with a piece of poly rope (sometimes with a tiny hook somewhere to make it legal). It gets stuck in their teeth.

Reactions: RCF