What Are You Eating?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Looks great...
Best cheap meal you can have this time of year if you grow them.
🙂

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I love tomatoes…and used to grow them. I thought I knew what a good tomato tasted like until I went to Italy…

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Saw those tomahawk ribeye steaks yesterday at Costco for $9.99/lb, so I bought a pack. (Aside - never saw ribeye steaks cut like that in my life until just a few years ago. I wonder why they do that since the meat cut off the "handle" must just go into stew meat or something instead of beef ribs. Not to mention that the long tomahawk handle makes it hard to fit the steak onto my BBQ.) The steaks are cut so thick I'm not sure the best way to cook them. A steak is usually seared, cooked hot and sorta' fast so it's brown on the outside and rare or medium rare inside. Well, 6 minutes per side made for a nice brown exterior, but it was still raw and cold inside. Ended up going an additional 18 minutes as the charcoal was burning down to get the inside sorta' in between rare and medium rare. How are you supposed to cook a steak that is cut 2 - 2 1/2" thick? It was delicious BTW, and we'll have leftover for lunch or dinner today.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pink salmon roe on herbed deviled eggs. People who borax or toss eggs are missing out.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Saw those tomahawk ribeye steaks yesterday at Costco for $9.99/lb, so I bought a pack. (Aside - never saw ribeye steaks cut like that in my life until just a few years ago. I wonder why they do that since the meat cut off the "handle" must just go into stew meat or something instead of beef ribs. Not to mention that the long tomahawk handle makes it hard to fit the steak onto my BBQ.) The steaks are cut so thick I'm not sure the best way to cook them. A steak is usually seared, cooked hot and sorta' fast so it's brown on the outside and rare or medium rare inside. Well, 6 minutes per side made for a nice brown exterior, but it was still raw and cold inside. Ended up going an additional 18 minutes as the charcoal was burning down to get the inside sorta' in between rare and medium rare. How are you supposed to cook a steak that is cut 2 - 2 1/2" thick? It was delicious BTW, and we'll have leftover for lunch or dinner today.

I use a propane grill, and cook my thick steaks as follows. They come out perfect every time, and any other ways of cooking them are inferior, and for losers and haters.
:)

Sear 2 minutes or so each side on the 1800⁰ sear burner, then move to main grill preheated to 500⁰ and then cook on indirect heat till steak temp is 120⁰ or so (less if looking for super rare), rest the steak and consume.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Im not sure what kind of grill you have, but after searing put the cover on and check internal temp with an instant read thermometer 120-125

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
They are basically a fancy mini rib roast. Sear and then indirect heat till the proper internal temp. Like every everyone else says. They would be very charred if cooked like a normal steak that thick.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Im not sure what kind of grill you have, but after searing put the cover on and check internal temp with an instant read thermometer 120-125
Since there is just two of us, I have a Weber Smokey Joe, pretty small as charcoal grills go. And that's why it was hard to fit that handle on the grill under the hood cover. I knew it would take some "art" regarding how many briquets and when in the burn cycle to cook it. Like Tictoc posted above, I couldn't leave it too long on charcoal producing their peak heat without charring the hell out of the outside in order to get the desired doneness inside. I think I timed it pretty well for the steak, but we started the mushrooms in a frying pan on the stove too soon and had to leave them in the hot/warm pan while the steak finished cooking.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
They are basically a fancy mini rib roast. Sear and then indirect heat till the proper internal temp. Like every everyone else says. They would be very charred if cooked like a normal steak that thick.
I like to go the opposite way: low and slow to temp (120 for me), rest 20 minutes, then hard sear and serve immediately

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I don’t understand why people are willing to pay for a bone that is not edible, atleast for us.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I like to go the opposite way: low and slow to temp (120 for me), rest 20 minutes, then hard sear and serve immediately
Same here - reverse sear the thick stuff and they come out very evenly cooked w/o having to deal with a sous vide.

Start in the oven on a roasting rack at a low temp and bring up to 110 (I like them rare). Then sear on a very hot grill. Hard to mess them up this way if you keep track of the internal temp with a Thermapen.